Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2005, 01:03 PM   #1

My wife and I are having a debate about how important it is to have your routine services such a changing the oil and lubing the chassis done at an authorized Workhorse dealer or service center? She also is asking why we don't have it done at Forrest City at Winnebago when we are going through the area? I did not know that Winnebago did routine service of this type? Could anyone please shed some light on this topic and help resolve a "friendly spousal debate"?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2005, 01:03 PM   #2

My wife and I are having a debate about how important it is to have your routine services such a changing the oil and lubing the chassis done at an authorized Workhorse dealer or service center? She also is asking why we don't have it done at Forrest City at Winnebago when we are going through the area? I did not know that Winnebago did routine service of this type? Could anyone please shed some light on this topic and help resolve a "friendly spousal debate"?
Old 10-14-2005, 01:14 PM   #3

Well, for me I do it myself. Just keep records of the service both mileage and date wise. If for whatever reason you can't or don't want to do it yourself I think I'd go for whoever was closest and gave the best price for the service being performed.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:37 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
I also do it myself. I just can't bring myself to pay someone else the money they want for something I can take care of. Besides it makes me feel better knowing it is done right.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 02:48 PM   #5

You can save some money doing it yourself, pretty straight forward. You will also learn a lot about your coach poking around under there.
Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 03:12 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chugman:
Could anyone please shed some light on this topic and help resolve a "friendly spousal debate"? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Winnebago Industries is an Authorized Worhorse Service Center. Regardless of having this service available they will routinely change oil on any number of motorhomes that they build be it gas or diesel.

As recommended by our distinguised panel of respondants - changing your own oil is a good thing unless you have wrenchaphobia. If you feel more comfortable having a service center change your oil then that's OK too.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 07:55 PM   #7

I appreciate all your comments and thoughts. I doubt that changing one's own oil can be too challenging, if you want to do that sort of thing. No one mentioned greasing and lubing the chassis and the other maintenance associated with routine service? Don't you do that at the same time? Don't you need special equipment to that and a service rack?

My father was a mechanic by trade and he did all my service work and never taught me how. I'm not sure if that was a good thing or not? I was a bread salesman and we used to joke that if he never sold bread, I would never work on cars or trucks. He never sold a loaf of bread in his life and I hven't worked on my own vehicles yet.

I almost get the impression that some of you don't trust anyone else to change your oil or is it just a money saving thing?
Old 10-14-2005, 08:37 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Art, I think no one mentioned greasing and lubing because it just comes along with the oil change. No you don't need a service rack. I use a crawler and just lay on it and wheel around. While my oil is draining I lub the fittings including all the drive shafts and front end, refer to the manual it will give you all the spots. Grease guns are fairly inexpensive. I use air so cost is a bit more. I think I said to save money but actually I like doing it. It makes me know my chassis better. By seeing changes that take place I can ask questions and note differences from one change to another. I look around to see if the exhaust system is still hanging or if anything is hanging down that should not be. It's just a good feeling for me to play or work with my equipment. Granted it is not for everyone and that is why there are service centers. They do great jobs don't get us wrong. And there is nothing wrong with having them do it if you prefer.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 03:16 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chugman:
My father was a mechanic by trade and he did all my service work and never taught me how. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Art, When we speak about changing oil what's pretty much standard in doing that is a process called "LOF" which is lube, oil and filter.

I think that you would be much more comfortable in your ownership experience if you allowed a service center to accomplish that service for you.

Never fear though, you can always learn how to do it yourself. Go any get a book on the subject and check it out. Doing your own service work is fun and rewarding if you're mechanically inclined.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 04:38 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Art,

I too, like the others who have replied, like to do my own maintenance for a number of reasons.

First off, I am a professional auto technician so it's what I love to do. I like the satisfaction I get knowing I've done the maintenance myself and the assurance I feel knowing it was done properly and completely. I keep accurate records of repairs and maintenance I do myself in the event a warranty issue arises which would require documentation of such. I just love rolling around underneath my rig looking at stuff! You don't need a lift or any fancy equipment to do basic things like "LOF's" or even setting tire pressures and inspecting brake linings, checking lights, etc. You can eyeball the exhaust, check for leaks check all your fluid levels and so on. By doing this myself I know when I take off for a trip I'm good to go! I'm never left wondering... Did they check my tires? Did they top off my washer fluid? Did they put in the right amount of oil? Did they grease all the fittings? Did they reset the oil life monitor? ...because I did it myself!

Now, granted this isn't for everyone. If you're not comfortable wrenching on your own vehicle, by all means have a good service facility do it for you. I have a very good working relationship with many of my customers at the dealership I work at and know them personally. They (and those I don't know or meet) rely on me to service their vehicles as if they were my own, and I do! Don't be afraid to ask to meet the technician who will be working on your rig. I jump at the chance to meet my customers and assure them that I'll take care of their needs. It may take a little extra time, but it makes for excellent customer service. If the place you go is reluctant to treat you this way, then maybe you should go elsewhere for service. Find someone you're comfortable with who will treat you fairly. We do exist!
Horsepowerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 06:04 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

When taking the coach to a service center, do not assume you will get a chassis lube along with an oil change. Specify what you want, i..e oil change with filter, chassis lubrication, check transmission fluid level, check radiator fluid level and anything else your owner manual recommends for that service interval.

Not all dealers, Winnebago or otherwise, will be authorized service facilities for a Workhorse chassis. Each one gets authorized on its on, based on the facilities they have and the training of the tecchnicians. Most could probably qualify for basic "LOF" type service if they want, but not all do. Other types of service require training and many dealers simply don't have the technicians or facilities to handle it.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 07:41 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I don't know anyone that has an air presurized lube system at home to lube their chassis. ALthough I have a hnaded pump lube gun.

PA has an annual state vehicle inspection. I take my coach to a large truck garage, that keeps 200 trucks on the road, for inspection and it only costs a few more dollars for an oil change and a very good lube job.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 10:22 AM   #13

Jayco Owners Club
Grease Guns

12 volt cordless grease gun.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 01:16 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It will probably take longer to drive to a svc center, wait and drive home than it would take to LOF your own. The harder part for some is getting rid of the old oil.
I also have a pneumatic grease gun (about$20) and the WH has a lot of fittings but a hand gun works fine.
I think it's outrageous what dealers and even Camping World charge for an oil change. An even bigger rip off is paying to have the oil changed on your generator. About $50 for 2 qts. of oil and a $6 filter. The drain is a wing nut, no tools required except for a filter wrench.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote