Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2008, 04:31 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi, Haven't been on the forum for a while. Life gets in the way. Anywaaaay!! A while back workhorse was offering a kit to move the a/c condensor off to the side. I'm wondering what ever happpened with that? Is that still available? or was it too expensive? or is there another solution? This prompted by a trip to San Antonio last week in cold weather and that big noisy fan never came on once. I live in AZ, in the mountains, and that fan is usually almost always running. Are there any new products or ideas out there about addtional cooling products/schemes I have missed in the last couple of years? Thanks, Jim C.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2008, 04:31 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi, Haven't been on the forum for a while. Life gets in the way. Anywaaaay!! A while back workhorse was offering a kit to move the a/c condensor off to the side. I'm wondering what ever happpened with that? Is that still available? or was it too expensive? or is there another solution? This prompted by a trip to San Antonio last week in cold weather and that big noisy fan never came on once. I live in AZ, in the mountains, and that fan is usually almost always running. Are there any new products or ideas out there about addtional cooling products/schemes I have missed in the last couple of years? Thanks, Jim C.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimAerbus,W22,2003:
A while back workhorse was offering a kit to move the a/c condenser off to the side. I'm wondering what ever happened with that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Jim, If you're talking about the Crystal Cool, it didn't work. It was removed from my rig and the stock A/C system was restored.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:19 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Driver, Thanks for the input. I was hoping that somebody had come up with a way to get more air in the front, short of cutting all the fiberglass off :-), I was able to blockofff air flow from my lower vents by forcing the air to go into the radiator and not just go under which would have beeen the path of least resistance. that at least forces all air from the lower grill vent to go into the radiator. At one time I had measured and found that you can put an 16/18" inch puller in between the mechanical fan and the radiator. There is more than 3.5 inches between fan and radiator, but never purused the idea any farther. Time? Money? benifit? etc. Would also like to find some way to force the "side" air to go through the rad., but there is so much junk and hoses in there that woulb be MAJOR project. Once again thanx for the reply Jim C.

P.S Does anybody have a good place to install a water temp guage? I'm Thinking of going to GM and just buying a block drain plug, getting it all set up and the just switching them out in one quick ooeration.??!!
Old 12-30-2008, 04:00 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jim, locate the temp sending unit in the cylinder head rather than the engine block. Temps there reflect actual running temperature of the engine. You should be able to find a place in one of the heads that will accept a sending unit for your gauge.

Dieselclacker
Old 12-30-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimAerbus,W22,2003:
Driver, Thanks for the input. I was hoping that somebody had come up with a way to get more air in the front, short of cutting all the fiberglass off ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Jim, Over the top of the radiator there is a rubber shield. That shield was re-invented in year 2004 and was released as a more robust piece of material. This material is called a fabric.

The fabric needs to be attached to the top of the body and the top of the radiator. The only openings are for the dip sticks, and the computers. All other openings should be blocked as much as possible.

In 2003 the fabric was frail and mine failed early on and shredded.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:22 PM   #7

&lt;snip&gt;
P.S Does anybody have a good place to install a water temp guage? I'm Thinking of going to GM and just buying a block drain plug, getting it all set up and the just switching them out in one quick ooeration.??!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look at the middle of the outside of the cylinder heads. One head will have the coolant temp sensor between the two middle cylinders. The other head will have a pipe plug in the same location. There ya go.
Mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:43 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been thinking about making an air dam like a spoiler out of a heavy rubber material and instaling it below the front of the MH. The idea is to limit the air going under and posibly put more air to the radiator. Has anyone tryed this and what are your thoughts on this.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:04 AM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by speed racer:
Has anyone tried this and what are your thoughts on this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Speed Racer, The concept was fully developed on a motorhome as far back as the year 2005 when I saw it for the first time at the RVIA Show.

click on the logo

This is a picture that I took while at the 2008 RVIA Show. As you can see it has a group of interested parties that are trying to develop the product as an OEM device. Manufacturer will remain anonymous. I was told that the purpose for the shield would be to improve MPG. At the time of the interview the testing was not completed so the results have not yet been put forward.

Detail of the Turbo Shield as Installed on a 2009 Class A Motorhome

One feature of this device as explained by the inventor is that it'll create a low pressure area directly under the engine. As nature abhors a vacuum, the hot air in the engine compartment migrates downward to fill in the low pressure area therefore drawing heat with it.

This device is raised and lowered automatically and is controlled from the driver's position. I wouldn't want to get that thing tangled up with a gator.

See the manufacturer's website for more information.