Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2017, 01:24 PM   #1

Radiator shroud

Hi- I,m looking for info as to how best RR my radiator shroud that has holes in top and bottom. Bottom half looks easy enough but how to deal with the top half? I have an 03 w-22. thanks
pattcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2017, 03:59 PM   #2

It also seems the air diversion panel that directs air into radiator # w005312 has been discontinued. Not good.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:06 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Did the fan rub the shroud and wear a hole all the way thru on the top and bottom?

How big is the hole on top half?

What if you replace the bottom half and just patch the hole in the top half. Using something like fiberglass mesh/repair kit.

I've read about the bottom rubbing and causing a catastrophic failure of the fan and taking out the radiator too. But rubbing on the top too?
When you replace the bottom shroud, add an additional screw in the middle bottom edge. I used a 3/6" hex sheet metal screw into the bottom steel bracket.

Good luck,
Bill
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:06 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can get new shrouds from McBrides RV Service in Chino, CA

George
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:18 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
Did the fan rub the shroud and wear a hole all the way thru on the top and bottom?

How big is the hole on top half?

What if you replace the bottom half and just patch the hole in the top half. Using something like fiberglass mesh/repair kit.

I've read about the bottom rubbing and causing a catastrophic failure of the fan and taking out the radiator too. But rubbing on the top too?
When you replace the bottom shroud, add an additional screw in the middle bottom edge. I used a 3/6" hex sheet metal screw into the bottom steel bracket.

Good luck,
Bill
I forgot to add that on my W22, the clearance at the top is about 1 in and the bottom is about 1/8 inch. What I understand is that under full fan engage, it sucks the shroud into the path of the fan blades and starts rubbing the shroud. The added screw in the bottom middle helps hold it in place so it doesn't touch.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:23 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When the mechanic replaced the shrouds on our coach he removed both from underneath. He removed the bottom half first then rotated the top half around the fan blades then removed from underneath. Might have been a little easier because the top half was badly damaged. He put both halves back in from underneath.

George
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:08 PM   #7

Thanks for that. Looks like getting the staples or rivets out that join the two sides together will take some time and of course once the new top and bottom have been reinstalled they will have to be re stapled or riveted. Its a pain trying to reach up in there and work. I can see why some have just reattatched the shrouds and tried to patch them.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:34 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattcook View Post
Thanks for that. Looks like getting the staples or rivets out that join the two sides together will take some time and of course once the new top and bottom have been reinstalled they will have to be re stapled or riveted. Its a pain trying to reach up in there and work. I can see why some have just reattatched the shrouds and tried to patch them.
My shroud has been removed and installed by Redlands Truck & RV. reattached using 2 each 1/4 in tinerman nuts on each side........no rivets.

Everbilt 1/4 in. x 20 in. Plain Steel U-Type Speed Nut-800078 - The Home Depot

Tags
radiator