Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Received a Phone Call from Workhorse....

Received a phone call from Workhorse today, and to make a long story short, they again denied my request for reimbursement for my replacement brake calipers, rotors and other parts in April 2008. The Workhorse rep stated the following:

1. No four wheel failure would be reimbursed as "they have never seen a four wheel failure", only one or two wheel failures.

2. There must be brake pad material transfer and sticking to and on the rotors. If the caliper pistons are sticking in their bores, this will occur. (They seem to be hanging their hats on this one.)

3. They are looking at cracking of the caliper boots for indications of overheating.

4. Again he stated the same old story about lubing the caliper pins and changing the brake fluid.

5. Once again he alluded to my not knowing how to drive my motor home.

6. Etc., etc, not their fault, so sorry, no reimbursement.

As you can imagine, this phone call did not end pleasantly. Now I have to step back and consider my next course of action, as I will not let this go. I am open to suggestions and advice.
Anyone else been turned down or am I the first?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2009, 05:26 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
So.............. There is no way all four wheel brakes will fail at once. So, your WCC was wrong in replacing them! Too bad Redlands doesn't know what their doing!
BellaBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:45 PM   #3

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Usually when we see a brake failure caused by a defective caliper, it is only one or two wheels max that have failed. We have never had an instance where all 4 calipers locked up at once, needless to say this would be a very rare occurrence. When a coach does come in with all 4 rotors cracked, we can scan the ABS computer and find out if you have held your brakes for two minutes or longer and 9 times out of 10 this is the case.

THIS IS EXACTLY why we developed the GradeBrake for the older 01-04 chassis because we have not done 1 single Interim repair on an 05 or newer chassis equipped with a GradeBrake from the factory, and about 50 repairs on 01-04 chassis'.

Steamerman...I'm sure that Redlands had a reason for replacing the brakes, it is just a case of Workhorse not repaying the customer because the damage was done by the customer and not by the brake calipers.
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamerman View Post
So.............. There is no way all four wheel brakes will fail at once. So, your WCC was wrong in replacing them! Too bad Redlands doesn't know what their doing!
Streamerman: there is nothing in R&C's post to support your statement. Please do not castigate a quality ASC with this type assumption you have apparently made.

I'm quite sure R&C would not have paid for, and Redland's would not have done, the work had it not been advisable. Apparently, this issue is about what caused all four wheels to be affected, and not whether the work was needed.

Can we please just stick to the facts without adding unfounded statements?
ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:47 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Streamerman: there is nothing in R&C's post to support your statement. Please do not castigate a quality ASC with this type assumption you have apparently made.

I'm quite sure R&C would not have paid for, and Redland's would not have done, the work had it not been advisable. Apparently, this issue is about what caused all four wheels to be affected, and not whether the work was needed.

ED
As community monitor, I would hope you understand sarcasm and read the postings more closely. In my opinion, on the first and subsequent readings, Steamerman was NOT making an adverse comment regarding Redland's at all. He was implicitly acknowledging that Redland's was, in fact, a quality service center and the fact that Redland's saw fit to replace all 4 brake calipers was a comment about Workhorse, not Redland's. Steamerman was suggesting that Workhorse should defer to the better judgment of Redland's regarding the service needed and provided due to its fine reputation. Please re-read Steamerman's comments before you scold him for a legitimate comment.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandcheryl View Post
Received a phone call from Workhorse today, and to make a long story short, they again denied my request for reimbursement for my replacement brake calipers, rotors and other parts in April 2008. The Workhorse rep stated the following:

1. No four wheel failure would be reimbursed as "they have never seen a four wheel failure", only one or two wheel failures.

2. There must be brake pad material transfer and sticking to and on the rotors. If the caliper pistons are sticking in their bores, this will occur. (They seem to be hanging their hats on this one.)

3. They are looking at cracking of the caliper boots for indications of overheating.

4. Again he stated the same old story about lubing the caliper pins and changing the brake fluid.

5. Once again he alluded to my not knowing how to drive my motor home.

6. Etc., etc, not their fault, so sorry, no reimbursement.

As you can imagine, this phone call did not end pleasantly. Now I have to step back and consider my next course of action, as I will not let this go. I am open to suggestions and advice.
Anyone else been turned down or am I the first?
My story is very similar with the front rotors cracked for the second time in 3 years. They replaced them under warranty without question the first time but this time I received exactly the same response you did in 4, 5, and 6!
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
"Steamerman was suggesting that Workhorse should defer to the better judgment of Redland's regarding the service needed and provided due to its fine reputation. Please re-read Steamerman's comments before you scold him for a legitimate comment."

Thank you, D&J, this was my point exactly. I trust these guys are very knowledgeable and capable of making precise diagnosis. Sorry my comment was interpreted as sarcasm. The only true sarcasm should be directed at the inconsistent management of this brake recall situation and the long drawn out process for remedy. My summer travels have been ruined because I don't care to place my family or other lives in danger due to the poorly designed braking system and the poorly managed company that has delayed a "true" repair for so long.
By the way, my "Grade Brake" is called a shift lever not a $600 option for a $100,000+ motorhome I can't drive anyway.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:13 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In 2007 Brazels replaced my rotors, pads and fluid due to cracked rotors. At that time my coach was about 7 months out of warranty. After Jon Brazel spent a lot of time on the phone with WH explaining to them that I was well qualified as a driver and that I had never overheated the brakes, and that I always had and used aux braking on my toad, they asked if I would be agreeable to paying a $100.00 deductable. At that point I was very willing to pay that instead of the over 1,400.00 that the bill wound up being. No excuse for todays problems, but I did want to say that sometimes they do the right thing when prompted correctly. If Jon Brazel had not been so adament about the problem I know they would have continued to deny my repair. So far no more problems since they did the repair. (finding wood to knock on)

2003 35-E Bounder W-22
rvjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:52 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamerman View Post
"
-------By the way, my "Grade Brake" is called a shift lever not a $600 option for a $100,000+ motorhome ---------.

Well, Sreamerman, I thought so too--until I drove Ca299 from Eureka to Redding a few weeks back. I found myself very busy shifting gears, (often down to 1st) thinking I was simulating the grade brake function.

More then a few times I accidentally passed D and went to neutral. The Allison complained with a clunk that couldn't be any good for it! Although I did manage to keep off the brakes quite nicely, I have re thought the value of the add on grade brake. IMO, I believe it will be a worthwhile next addition.

Marty
Old 09-11-2009, 10:55 PM   #10
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
THIS IS EXACTLY why we developed the GradeBrake for the older 01-04 chassis because we have not done 1 single Interim repair on an 05 or newer chassis equipped with a GradeBrake from the factory, and about 50 repairs on 01-04 chassis'
A GradeBrake? It sounds self explanatory but tell me more.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:35 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
It still gets me when of all the many thousands and thousands of motorhomes out there, not only presently, but motorhomes of the past even ones that are no longer on the road because of 100's of thousands of miles on them and many years of age, WHY, is it that all those drivers were such perfect brake users and now it's only a few Workhorse owner/drivers that are to blame for Workhorse Chassis brake failures, at least according to Workhorse as noted in Rick's posting above on his point #5?
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:52 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
"THIS IS EXACTLY why we developed the GradeBrake for the older 01-04 chassis because we have not done 1 single Interim repair on an 05 or newer chassis equipped with a GradeBrake from the factory, and about 50 repairs on 01-04 chassis'." Were these repairs on all four wheels?

I can see where this would be an advantage for those that drive hills all the time as M&EM pointed out.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:30 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post

ED
Where I scan not speak for Streamman.. I can say that when I read his post.. The reading heald a note of irony.. You want facts

Redlands says it happens
Workorse says it does not happen

One of them clearly is... Mistaken.

And that's all he said

Now: How can all 4 brakes fail from overheat type failures?

Very simple.... Many drivers, for reasons that this old stick shifter can't fantom, are trained to drive with the LEFT FOOT on the brake pedal.. I'm serious here.. The "Theory" (From what I've been told) is that you can hit the brakes faster that way.. Sure you can.

But I learned on a stick shift, you know, a real gear box you stir with a big stick kind of transmission.. If I put my left foot on the brake.. I can not declutch (Yes, that is proper english for pressing the pedal... Clutching is what the plates do when you release the pedal, thank an English Ford owner's manual for that tidbit, I had 2 of those in my younger days.. Best Fords I ever drove)

If you drive with the left food pressing the brake pedal.. You can cause the brakes to drag and overheat

NOW: I"m not saying this happened.. In fact I doubt that is the cause here.. But it was asked how it could happen.. and that's ONE WAY.

The Workhorse caliper failure... No reason it can not happen on all 4 wheels at one time.. Rare, yes, Possible, also YES.

And Redlands has the experience, and the training, and the knowledge, to tell, or so I strongly suspect.

Though I have not personally had contact with them, Reports from others here in the forum suggest they know their stuff. Enough such reports I believe them.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:04 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
For all the folks that say its our fault please explain why its just wh chassis that have these problems. Are we the only mh owners that ride our brakes? Are we the only Gas mh that needs a exh brake( for 600.00 I'll use my shifter). Are we the only ones that dont use ours enough so it causes a brake failure? Are we the only ones that change our brake fluid as much as our oil(just kidding "alittle". When we started these reports with nhtsa 3 years ago we were told it was our faults for a number of reasons. Nhtsa has spoke and its faulty calipers. People (and wh)who have blamed us need to get over it and realize Its not us. Fix the problem and refund the owners who have paid several times for these faulty brakes. This cant be good for a companys reputation. IMO