Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2005, 05:25 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had posted this to another post but I have decided to start a new post with it so more people will get the benefit of what I have learned to date about this problem:
I just returned from a round trip San Jose, CA to Reno Nevada up 7200 feet of mountains. I noted that when climbing in 4th and downshifting to either 3rd or 2nd that the oil pressure warning light would come on and stay on until the top of the hill and shifting back into 4th gear again. Checked the oil it was full and was changed at 3000 miles and was currently at 4400 miles.
The same thing happened on the return home a week later.
Took the coach to the Workhorse warranty shop in San Jose for a list of 12 new warranty items and 4 carried over from last time in shop due to parts not in.
The manager tells me they are familiar with this and it is a problem with the new dash unit they installed a few months ago. It has to be reprogrammed for this problem and they are not sure if they can do it in house or not. that would make me guess a second replacement of this dash unit?
I begin to wonder if we will ever get this box of parts to act like a new motorhome
I have had hardly any problems with the chassis but the coach now has way over 100 warranty items.
They workhorse shop now tells me they no longer have access to a GM dealer to reprogram this new dash unit. The dealer that formerly did this in San Jose is no more.
I am told that when you get to 4800 rpm on the engine this light comes on, but should not. The only thing that is supposed to happen is the RPM is limited at this rpm. It seems my workhorse dealer has no place to send the Motorhome to have this re programming done.
Has anyone else had to deal with this problem?
Bill Forrest
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2005, 05:25 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had posted this to another post but I have decided to start a new post with it so more people will get the benefit of what I have learned to date about this problem:
I just returned from a round trip San Jose, CA to Reno Nevada up 7200 feet of mountains. I noted that when climbing in 4th and downshifting to either 3rd or 2nd that the oil pressure warning light would come on and stay on until the top of the hill and shifting back into 4th gear again. Checked the oil it was full and was changed at 3000 miles and was currently at 4400 miles.
The same thing happened on the return home a week later.
Took the coach to the Workhorse warranty shop in San Jose for a list of 12 new warranty items and 4 carried over from last time in shop due to parts not in.
The manager tells me they are familiar with this and it is a problem with the new dash unit they installed a few months ago. It has to be reprogrammed for this problem and they are not sure if they can do it in house or not. that would make me guess a second replacement of this dash unit?
I begin to wonder if we will ever get this box of parts to act like a new motorhome
I have had hardly any problems with the chassis but the coach now has way over 100 warranty items.
They workhorse shop now tells me they no longer have access to a GM dealer to reprogram this new dash unit. The dealer that formerly did this in San Jose is no more.
I am told that when you get to 4800 rpm on the engine this light comes on, but should not. The only thing that is supposed to happen is the RPM is limited at this rpm. It seems my workhorse dealer has no place to send the Motorhome to have this re programming done.
Has anyone else had to deal with this problem?
Bill Forrest
Old 07-21-2005, 05:42 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you saying it does'nt come on til 4800 RPMs? I just found that the LCD screen is a tattle tale and mine said that my max. rpm was 4767. so maybe thats why I have'nt had that electrical problem yet but I've had many others.
With the experience I've had with the only 2 WH svc centers around here, I'd almost rather pay someone else to fix it.
Wh might make a good chassis but they need better electrical engineers.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 06:00 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Workhorse just sold out to Navistar so it will probably either get better or worse now.
Bill
Old 07-22-2005, 06:09 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
HI AB, OOPS, I guess AB deleted his post after it was delivered to me email and I made this response.

Yes I had seen your post and in fact posted below yours but then decided that since my problem is different I would put it in a separate post for more people to see.
My problem is definately not a sensor problem but a programing problem in the new dash unit recently installed. It has to be reprogrammed by a GM dealer as the Workhorse Warranty shop is unable to do the programming. They tell me it is not a problem to drive as it is strictly an electronic problem and not mechanical. They have had this repair done numberous times at a local GM Chev dealer but I guess that dealer is no more and there is not another yet in the area to do this.
That is my latest word. Thanks for your response.
Bill Forrest
Old 07-22-2005, 06:10 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The manager (Workhorse dealer) tells me they are familiar with this and it is a problem with the new dash unit they installed a few months ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is the first I've heard of it. -And like Max, I haven't had rpms up in that 4,800 neighborhood.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:16 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had never seen the problem before either in 4000 miles until, I started climbing the mountains to Reno that goes up and up and up to 7200 feet. Then the light started coming on each time I got down to 2nd gear and the rpm's got up to 4800, although I never saw them go above 4400, but I also had to watch the road.
I will say that this engine trans combination sure works well in the mountains. I have had other motorhomes with both the 460 and the 454 and had to add banks and the auxillary transmission to get up the hills at a reasonable speed without shutting down the highway
Bill
Old 07-22-2005, 06:43 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Hi BEBOP,
Sorry about that, I didn't realize it was my post that you had read until I went back to it and re-read your reply. I then erased my reply to this post as it was a rehash. Do da, Do da... I hope you get this fixed as I'm worried if my dash may be goofy too. So far, no more problems. I hope the shop knows what they are talking about.

AKBrick
Old 07-24-2005, 11:37 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
HI AKBRick,
I wondered what happened to you and your post. Now I understand.
It might be possible to get on even a small hill and starting in a low gear and keeping it in a low gear to get the rpm's up to the 4800 to see if your light comes on. Then you will know it is an electronic problem and that you are not out of oil
Bill Forrest
Old 07-24-2005, 03:11 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In a conversation with a Workhorse guy I was told that there are at least three problems with the program:

1)Oil pressure can indicate zero and warning buzzer sounds when eng rpm exceeds 4550/4600 rpm. (Needs a buffer bigger than 50 rpm)

2)Gas gauge can indicate zero and warning buzzer can indicate zero when gas sloshes because of lack of buffering of data.

3)Ave mpg can go to 100 mpg when ave mpg drops below about 4mpg. Data table not large enough.

I have seen 2 and 3 on my motorhome.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:10 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
BEBOP and Clay L,
Thanks for the information guys, I may have to have a "talk" with my dealer and the people that they are using as an authorized WH shop. Hmmmm.....
AKBrick
Old 07-28-2005, 06:47 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our workhorse warranty shop here in San Jose, Leale's RV is unable to do other then replace the dash unit. I had mine replaced a few months ago but now we find it needs to go to a GM shop to be re-programmed. The Chevrolet Dealer in San Jose that did this reprogramming has gone out of business now. We are currently waiting for a new dealer to be able to do this, so I can have mine done.
Bill Forrest