Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2020, 05:05 PM   #1

Reduced power mode

Have an issue...

Traveled about 165 miles today MH ran perfect, stopped at the campground to pick up some ice, after I started the engine the reduced power mode came on (limp mode?) engine also had a miss to it and could barley drive to my camp site, I'm going to pull the doghouse cover off once it cools down a bit... any suggestions... I left my OBD2-android module at home so I can't do a scan. I'll check the fuel injector fuses first.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

FSE Industrial Ceramic Kilns.
akpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2020, 06:53 PM   #2

Reduced power mode

Think I would try a restart to see if the problem and miss remain. If yes, and if you have a toad with you, go to Autozone and rent a scanner. Rental should be free. However, you didnít mention the CEL was lit, so a scanner may not help.

While you have the doghouse off, check the wire harness to the throttle body. A lot of times limp mode is set by a communication issue in the throttle body, gas pedal, etc. When this occurs, the computer deems the coach unsafe to drive at speed and puts it into limp mode.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 07:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Think I would try a restart to see if the problem and miss remain. If yes, and if you have a toad with you, go to Autozone and rent a scanner. Rental should be free. However, you didnít mention the CEL was lit, so a scanner may not help.

While you have the doghouse off, check the wire harness to the throttle body. A lot of times limp mode is set by a communication issue in the throttle body, gas pedal, etc. When this occurs, the computer deems the coach unsafe to drive at speed and puts it into limp mode.
CEL was on. Let me start from the beginning...when I started the engine before I left from home it would not turn over enough to start, had to use boost, I though it was from sitting in my driveway & not being started for sometime, well after driving 165 miles & stopping for a few minutes to pick up some ice, battery was to low on voltage to start the engine & had to use boost again, that's when the issue (CEL & limp mode started). I believe the ECM saw a low voltage issue & hopefully disconnecting the battery to reset will eliminate problem. I would thing low voltage to sensors could really effect the I/O signals to ECM, will try in the AM

Old 05-13-2020, 10:52 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With the engine running you should see a charge voltage of about 14.2 volts on the dash display. It will always be displayed on the Actia dash gauge.

It sounds to me like either your alternator or engine battery is bad.

How old is the starting battery?

There is an engine battery disconnect switch in the storage compartment under the passenger seat. Mine feel apart a couple years ago so I had to replace it. Great fun.....NOT.

Do you use the battery disconnect switch?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:12 AM   #5

Sometimes a battery will drop a cell and the low voltage will wreak havoc with the electronics. Based on your new description, I agree and would verify your alternator output and battery standing voltage.

If you donít have tools with you, rent them for free at Autozone.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
With the engine running you should see a charge voltage of about 14.2 volts on the dash display. It will always be displayed on the Actia dash gauge.

It sounds to me like either your alternator or engine battery is bad.

How old is the starting battery?

There is an engine battery disconnect switch in the storage compartment under the passenger seat. Mine feel apart a couple years ago so I had to replace it. Great fun.....NOT.

Do you use the battery disconnect switch?
Well I had the dash gauge set in the mode to display engine oil PSI instead of voltage, but I will switch it back to volts. Battery date says 2015 so its due for a replacement for sure, generally I always replace batteries in my vehicles after four. Yes contacts could be bad in the disconnect or any solenoids for that matter. I do use the disconnect switch when the motorhome is at the storage facility but not when its parked my house.

Once I limped to my camp site I checked the battery voltage with my meter, it was 12.75 volts, however during starting the engine voltage drop could of been much lower.

Old 05-14-2020, 06:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Sometimes a battery will drop a cell and the low voltage will wreak havoc with the electronics. Based on your new description, I agree and would verify your alternator output and battery standing voltage.

If you donít have tools with you, rent them for free at Autozone.
Yes batteries can really make things act crazy. I have a battery charger with me so I'm going to charge up the battery than have AAA come do a load test on it just for curiosity, for sure have them replace the battery. I wish I had my hand held battery load tester with me, trouble-shooting is difficult without the proper tools.

Old 05-14-2020, 09:48 AM   #8

update

Quote:
Originally Posted by akpd View Post
Yes batteries can really make things act crazy. I have a battery charger with me so I'm going to charge up the battery than have AAA come do a load test on it just for curiosity, for sure have them replace the battery. I wish I had my hand held battery load tester with me, trouble-shooting is difficult without the proper tools.
I charged the battery at 10amps for about an hour, charger was cycling 75-100% charge rate, disconnected the charger reconnected the battery cable, started the engine everything ran ok. Ran the engine at various RPM's until normal water temp. voltage on dash gauge oscillated from 14.3-14.2-14.3, it appears the alternator is charging & regulating as it should. The check engine light came on but after a few engine restarts it stayed off.

I really don't know what caused the "limp mode" perhaps the side mount battery cable was loose & when I reconnected the battery cable problem was resolved, wish I was 100% convinced of the remedy, intermittent problems are tough to trouble-shoot.

Thank you all for your input !

Old 05-14-2020, 01:43 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Glad to hear your back in good shape.

For what it's worth I buy my engine batteries at Walmart and replace about about every three years.

Extremely easy to change out so I suggest you put in a new battery. If the problem comes back later on you'll know it's not the battery.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 02:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Glad to hear your back in good shape.

For what it's worth I buy my engine batteries at Walmart and replace about about every three years.

Extremely easy to change out so I suggest you put in a new battery. If the problem comes back later on you'll know it's not the battery.

I 100% agree Arch, being proactive on battery replacement is well worth not being stranded somewhere.

Tags
power