Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Referencing Part Numbers

How do you reference a part number at the local Chain Part Supply?
I needed a fuel pump relay, had the relay in hand and the minute I told the person at the supply counter this was for a MH it put up all the red flags.
The part number in their computer did not compute, I responded this was a GM drive train but that made no difference, I was told to go to the RV dealer.
I bet if I would have told them that it was for my 05 Sierra instead of my 05 Southwind I may have gotten what I needed.
I also went back out to the coach and looked this up (part number) in my owners manual, different then what was on the relay and their computer came up again this time with something totally different?
I guess these people who work at these places cannot match a part by sight, this relay also used to run the AC compressor of the coach.
I made it home by swapping out the relays.

Regards,
RovinOn
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2011, 04:35 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Anyone ever buy parts for there Workhorse based coach?
Old 10-03-2011, 05:18 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
It can be a pain in the butt. Try using a 3500 Chevy truck with a 8.1. Also check Omey`s web site Oemy's UltraPower Performance Good Luck JP
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:36 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most of the people that work in some of these stores don't know one part from another. If they can't find it in the computer they don't have it.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:40 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr JP View Post
It can be a pain in the butt. .............. Also check Omey`s web site Oemy's UltraPower Performance Good Luck JP
Good information available to all.Have used it several times. Thanks Oemy
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:00 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
For many of that type of chassis parts, asking for something from a same year heavy duty pickup or van chassis will often bring out what you need. Nothing to lose, part don't match, don't buy it.

Also, my own experience is that often Napa will have better people / methods than say an autozone. The napa in our town still has the old printed books, going way back, including books that have electrical parts by type, with pictures rather than just application. I prefer autozone, but these guys in my napa can find anything.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:36 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Going to a NAPA truck parts center will generaly get better results. Most auto parts stores do not have cross references for truck parts.
GM truck service centers and Workhorse service centers would also be good resources.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:40 AM   #8

When you have the old part in hand, before you do anything, Google the numbers that are wrote on it. Most of the time it will come up with what it is or where you can get it.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:53 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
If any of you find a part that is referenced on my site send me the info and I will add it to the parts xref.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:46 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions on the subject.
I have my local Workhorse Repair Center working on the issue.
While this happened while I was in Cape Cod the only store available was Advance Auto, which I really don't care for for some other various reasons. I wish I could have found a NAPA or a Joe's Auto Supply the local guy who knows his trade, but those types are becoming hard to find.
I think at this point my Workhorse guy is having an issue finding it, he didn't call me back yet?

Regards,
RovinOn