Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2006, 09:32 AM   #1

I am happy to report that Stout's RV in Greenwood Indiana, a Workhorse service center, found the cause of my '05 Newmar 37' Kountry Star air filters getting water logged when driving in the rain. While it took a month to finally coordinate parts delivery with Workhorse, once National Service Director Alan Spegich and one of his assistants got involved on the Workhorse end of things, the needed part(s) got quickly delivered. Stout's put the motor home back together, and I drove it home a few days ago.
While I have not had rain to drive in, the fact that a Stout's service technician found what other service centers and even I had missed...a crevice in a tube at the front of the airbox allowing water to be sucked in against the air filter...I am expecting no more issues with not being able to drive in the rain.
I am convinced that because Stout's both sells and services RVs, it improves motor home owners chances for better and more relevant service compared to a service center that is more oriented to servicing trucks and diesel engines rather than gas engined motor homes.
So to those of you who have a persistent, unresolved issue with a Workhorse chassis, I suggest you contact Alan Spegich at Workhorse, or if within driving range of Stouts RV, go talk to Larry Bronson in the service department.
KTYSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2006, 09:32 AM   #2

I am happy to report that Stout's RV in Greenwood Indiana, a Workhorse service center, found the cause of my '05 Newmar 37' Kountry Star air filters getting water logged when driving in the rain. While it took a month to finally coordinate parts delivery with Workhorse, once National Service Director Alan Spegich and one of his assistants got involved on the Workhorse end of things, the needed part(s) got quickly delivered. Stout's put the motor home back together, and I drove it home a few days ago.
While I have not had rain to drive in, the fact that a Stout's service technician found what other service centers and even I had missed...a crevice in a tube at the front of the airbox allowing water to be sucked in against the air filter...I am expecting no more issues with not being able to drive in the rain.
I am convinced that because Stout's both sells and services RVs, it improves motor home owners chances for better and more relevant service compared to a service center that is more oriented to servicing trucks and diesel engines rather than gas engined motor homes.
So to those of you who have a persistent, unresolved issue with a Workhorse chassis, I suggest you contact Alan Spegich at Workhorse, or if within driving range of Stouts RV, go talk to Larry Bronson in the service department.
KTYSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:31 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
For National RV, Dolphin owners I cured my water iningestion issues by adding "tube-type" weather stripping around the front access door. This solved both my air intake problem as well as my windshield wipper problem; both the result of water ingestion.

I also replaced the stock air intake however, the original water ingestion was due to the fact that there was no factory seal to keep water from driving into the front service area.

Note: I even spray painted the black weather stripping white to match the RV and the paint has not peeled at all.

UltraPower ECM Program
Joe Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 11:15 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joe Gilbert:
For National RV, Dolphin owners I cured my water iningestion issues by adding "tube-type" weather stripping around the front access door.

I also replaced the stock air intake however, the original water ingestion was due to the fact that there was no factory seal to keep water from driving into the front service area.[QUOTE]

So Joe,

what kind of "tube-type" weather stripping did you use? Do you remember? And what did you change your intake too?
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 12:41 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club

Its a weather strip that you can buy at AutoZone or any part store for about $15. Has enough to go across the top of your hood opening.
Go to FIND and type in "newbie power downs" pics and install.
Changed my intake to new CAI from BRAZELS.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 02:40 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by "007":

Its a weather strip that you can buy at AutoZone or any part store for about $15. Has enough to go across the top of your hood opening.
Go to FIND and type in "newbie power downs" pics and install.
Changed my intake to new CAI from BRAZELS.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, That's the intake I want installed too. I think I'll check out McMasters and get a ture rubber mold for the opening. It can't be that much.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 02:54 PM   #7

I added the weather strip to stop the rain from affecting my windshield wipers.
While I was in Milton, FL to get the fuel rail recall done, they checked the air intake and found a gap in one of the connections and they sealed it up. Two days later, we drove about 60 miles in the rain without any problems.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:15 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
YosemiteBobR: The weatherstrip I used is 3M, EPDM Rubber Weatherstrip, part #08650NA. It has "self adhesive". I purchased it off-the-shelf at an Auto Zone store.

In regards to my air intake I followed the path many others have described on this site. I purchased 4" pipe and fittings from Home Deport, used a 4" to 4" rubber coupling to attache the pipe to the mass-air-sensor, and used the S&B R0862 filter. Note the RO862 is the correct filter for 4". Others often list the R0832 however this filter only has a 3.5" connection.

Unlike most of the C.A.I. discussed on this site I mounted my filter vertically. Search for "Still another cold air intake" and you will see my photos (one photo is incorrect as it shows the greese fitting I added to the brake shaft), another discussion on this site.

UltraPower ECM Program
Joe Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 08:54 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KTYSTR:
.. once National Service Director Alan Spegich and one of his assistants got involved on the Workhorse end of things, the needed part(s) got quickly delivered. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>FYI folks that's Alan Stegich. A real nice guy and he will always have time to talk to you if you catch him at an RV Show. If you want to meet Alan, come to Tampa. I know he'll be there.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote