Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2018, 05:24 AM   #1

Repairing/replacing a muffler (time sensitive today 5/11/18)

Hi,

I get my new to me 2008 Itasca Latitude UFO 37g workhorse today.

PDI is this afternoon. I asked for the coach to be taken to a truck shop for an inpection and remediate any issues.

I spoke to the truck shop yesterday via phone and they did perform some maintenace and repairs. I get the report later. I was told it had a clean bill of health except for the exhaust (muffler) as they could not test this but it was very rusty and reckoned it would need changing but not when.

I called my local truck place I use and they said a new muffler could run 800$ but have seen it as expensive as 1500$ on a DP (mine is gas). I spoke to the dealer (coach in on consigement) and they called the owner, he said he could offer 500$ more off the price but that was it as I am already close to low Nada retail on it. I have been offered between low and average retail on my trade.

I will get under the coach again today and have my wife shine a flash light in to the pipe to see if any holes. I would also bring it to my truck shop to get checked out next week.

I wanted to bring it to my truck shop for an inpection but its an hour away from my dealer and they said they use a local shop they always use.

Anyone have any idea what a new muffler would cost? I dont want to loose the coach over a grand. More than that I would be looking for the owner to chip in more. I will post some photos when I get to the dealer.

Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2018, 05:59 AM   #2

Repairing/replacing a muffler (time sensitive today 5/11/18)

Take it to an muffler shop. They should be able to replace it with something equivalent to stock but at a much lower price. Probably installed $100-$200.
If it's not rumbling and has holes, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
jcgribks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgribks View Post
Take it to an muffler shop. They should be able to replace it with something equivalent to stock but at a much lower price. Probably installed $100-$200.
^this

I would not put a oem muffler on it...way too expensive. There are plenty of aftermarket mufflers that are very reasonable in price...take the $500 and drive away with your new UFO.

My 'Y' pipe has a quarter sized hole in it, so for now I used that Kevlar looking wrap on it and a big clamp. If and when my exhaust system needs replacing I will just go with new Doug Thorley headers and Magnaflow mufflers and have all the piping replaced. I will just stick it in the "maintenance" category and not sweat it much.

One more thing, if you have a rusty muffler, how is the rest of the rust under there? Anything more than flash rust might be something to think about but a 2008 should not be too bad unless driven on winter roads with that magical potion sprayed on them that dissolves not only ice but steel. Either way, consider getting a Salt Away kit and spraying the underside of your new motorhome to neutralize any de-icer residue:

https://www.amazon.com/Salt-SA32M-Co...MZTAXD2D2E30Q8

I use it every spring on all of my vehicles....attach to garden hose and spray....but you will get wet in the process
Old 05-11-2018, 06:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgribks View Post
Thanks,

Thats great to know :-)
Old 05-11-2018, 06:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
^this

I would not put a oem muffler on it...way too expensive. There are plenty of aftermarket mufflers that are very reasonable in price...take the $500 and drive away with your new UFO.

My 'Y' pipe has a quarter sized hole in it, so for now I used that Kevlar looking wrap on it and a big clamp. If and when my exhaust system needs replacing I will just go with new Doug Thorley headers and Magnaflow mufflers and have all the piping replaced. I will just stick it in the "maintenance" category and not sweat it much.

One more thing, if you have a rusty muffler, how is the rest of the rust under there? Anything more than flash rust might be something to think about but a 2008 should not be too bad unless driven on winter roads with that magical potion sprayed on them that dissolves not only ice but steel. Either way, consider getting a Salt Away kit and spraying the underside of your new motorhome to neutralize any de-icer residue:

https://www.amazon.com/Salt-SA32M-Co...MZTAXD2D2E30Q8

I use it every spring on all of my vehicles....attach to garden hose and spray....but you will get wet in the process
Hi Motor,

The rest of the underside was not too bad. Not as rust free as my 2004 f53, but I think that spent its winters well wrapped up.

I will definitley treat it with that stuff :-)
Old 05-11-2018, 09:12 AM   #6

I installed a Magnaflow muffler on my 2008 Adventurer Limited.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Magnaflow.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	202267  
Old 05-11-2018, 09:34 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you only have one muffler? I believe mine has 2 mufflers as it has dual exhaust. I will have to crawl under and look.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:47 AM   #8

Yes there are two mufflers, one on each side.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:51 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So is only one muffler rusted? Even if it is only one, I think I would replace both at the same time.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:57 AM   #10

Rear Gas Engine Mufflers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Two Mufflers.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	202281  
Old 05-11-2018, 11:36 AM   #11

Thanks all,

I only looked at one muffler, muat check thw other.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:56 AM   #12

To be clear, are we talking about a tailpipe with rusty holes in it or muffler with rust ?

My WH has stainless steel mufflers but the Y tail pipe has 2 rust holes - is driveable certainly but may need to be replaced as I'm in the process of selling -- any rough idea on Parts and labor to replace tailpipe ?
zorro2kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:47 PM   #13

The only "test" I know of a muffler is to look for holes or rap on it and see if it rattles.

Tags
air, repair