Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2021, 12:18 AM   #1

Question Replacement for leaf spring bushings.

Looking to replace destroyed leaf spring bushings on our motorhome. Make that have to. The originals have been destroyed, and when I took one of the springs off to see what state they were in the inner (crush?) tube at one end fell out and the one at the other end came out with a gentle push.

Shackle bushing was in the same state.

The crush tubes are OK; the rubber in all cases is stuffed and getting the outer tube - whatever itís called - out will be a nightmare for me.

Itís a 2003 Workhorse P32 chassis - VIN 5B4LP57FX33372664

Not looking to find OEM - probably impossible - but same-fit replacement.

Iím happy (sort of ) to do the labor but I need to find out what bushings I can use.

Can anyone help with what theyíve used, or accurate dimensions so that I can source replacements?

Iím stuck in a camping spot now until I can sort this. Fortunately a freecamp with no time limit - very rare - but only a month until the registration is due.

We live on the road so going home isnít an option; home is where the oil leaks.

So, my sad tale. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D6604CC9-001D-45DB-B2DF-51AFA75243FE.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	719.6 KB
ID:	338099  
LindsayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2021, 06:24 AM   #2

You might try Colaw Salvage in Carthage, MO. I was able to get the front torsion bar for our ‘02 Workhorse W22 with front leaf spring chassis there. They have a pretty good yard of wrecks and salvage coaches there.
I worked with John - good guy!
MrMark52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:04 AM   #3
tcg

We have a 1995 Class C at one point I needed the springs rebuilt and beefed up a little, in my neck of the woods there are a couple spring shops. That's all they do is springs and suspensions. They would be able to fix those springs just by taking them the spring.

Maybe check your area for a dedicated spring shop.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
You might try Colaw Salvage in Carthage, MO. I was able to get the front torsion bar for our Ď02 Workhorse W22 with front leaf spring chassis there. They have a pretty good yard of wrecks and salvage coaches there.
I worked with John - good guy!
Thanks, MrMark, but Iím buried away in Australia.

I would love to find a motorhome wrecker down here but Class Aís tend to up and disappear at the end of their life. From what I can tell they vanish into a blackhole.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
We have a 1995 Class C at one point I needed the springs rebuilt and beefed up a little, in my neck of the woods there are a couple spring shops. That's all they do is springs and suspensions. They would be able to fix those springs just by taking them the spring.

Maybe check your area for a dedicated spring shop.
No luck there, tcg. All of the spring shops are city-based, all of our cities are locked-down at the moment, and weíre currently about 500 km away from the nearest city.

Pretty sure Iíve got a solution now though.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:09 PM   #6

Lightbulb Leaf Spring Bushings - A Solution?

I think I might have worked out a solution.

There is a suspension bushing manufacturer down here who sells the polyurethane rods they use by the foot.

All I have to do is buy enough length of their heaviest grade to cut and drill for the six bushings in question and then, using the original crush tubes, hammer everything together.

Easy, right?

Right?
Old 08-03-2021, 05:07 AM   #7

While you are in there, you might consider replacing the entire leaf spring, based on my research this the leaf spring that replaces the 11,000 rear axle spring on the P32 https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index...oducts_id=8697 I have been thinking about getting a pair for my 2002 P32 chassis coach
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsayG View Post
I think I might have worked out a solution.

There is a suspension bushing manufacturer down here who sells the polyurethane rods they use by the foot.

All I have to do is buy enough length of their heaviest grade to cut and drill for the six bushings in question and then, using the original crush tubes, hammer everything together.

Easy, right?

Right?
If all your needing is the bushings - maybe you can find what you need made from UHMW from McMaster-Carr. All you will need to do is cut to length.

I bought a piece of UHMW tube to make a leaf spring knuckle spacers for our Workhorse W22 chassis that Workhorse Parts wants ~$130 a kit for. 1 foot long piece of UHMW tube cost about $28 shipped to me, and I can make at least 4 spacers out of that piece.
MrMark52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
While you are in there, you might consider replacing the entire leaf spring, based on my research this the leaf spring that replaces the 11,000 rear axle spring on the P32 https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index...oducts_id=8697 I have been thinking about getting a pair for my 2002 P32 chassis coach
Hi Isaac.

We considered the option of just getting a new set of springs but the expense is too much at this time. Aussie manufacturers like to charge an arm and two legs and while we could get them from the ĎStates the shipping cost is close to $1,000 - so not going to happen.

Cheers.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
If all your needing is the bushings - maybe you can find what you need made from UHMW from McMaster-Carr. All you will need to do is cut to length.

I bought a piece of UHMW tube to make a leaf spring knuckle spacers for our Workhorse W22 chassis that Workhorse Parts wants ~$130 a kit for. 1 foot long piece of UHMW tube cost about $28 shipped to me, and I can make at least 4 spacers out of that piece.
Hi MrMark.

Thatís what Iím going to be doing. Iíve ordered two 1í lengths of polyurethane rod from a manufacturer here in Australia Ė should be in tomorrow Ė and Iíll cut and drill them to suit. Thatíll give me the three I need per side and a bit left for mistakes.

Cheers.
Old 08-12-2021, 09:19 PM   #11

All Done!

Well, never say never.

I couldnít source the bushings from anywhere, so I Ö
  1. Removed the leaf springs and shackles,
  2. Burnt out the old bushings,
  3. Cleaned up the sleeves and crush tubes,
  4. Bought and cut polyurethane rod,
  5. Had the centres bored,
  6. Greased everything,
  7. Inserted the bushings and crush tubes into the sleeves, and
  8. Put everything back together.

Successfully! Bonus!

About 10-hours work all up, given I was learning on the go; a mechanic tells me I saved well over $1,000 ($730 US) in labour alone.

I couldnít drill a 1Ē hole through the PU so I had to pay a bloke to do that.

Costs:
Polyurethane rod (2 of 12Ē x 1.5Ē @ 95 Dura A) $140 ($100 US),
Hole machining $100 ($73 US)

Results:
It makes one hell of a difference to the ride. No more wandering off, no more ďTrailer pushĒ and my wifeís ecstatic with the money NOT spent.

Loving life again.
Old 08-12-2021, 09:25 PM   #12

Prothane.com
Rob_M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 10:19 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Great job!
Old 08-13-2021, 01:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
Prothane.com
Thanks, Rob_M, but unfortunately US sites donít help us much in Australia

Shipping is a killer, even for things like this.

Cheers.

Tags
bushings, leaf, replace, replacement