Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2011, 03:32 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
rod knocking

I am not sure!
After oil change I let it set for a few days without starting and when I started it up ,working on vaccum line to the HAV, I happen to crawl under the front and I could hear a rod knocking sightly, could not hear it inside.
Had my wife run the throttle up and down and the knock went up and down with the rpm. I have heard rods knock before and buy the time you hear them going down the road it is bad.
Shut it off and restarted after a bit and no knock.
anybody experience a knock after a oil change?
I would think if it is a rod, it shouldn't have stoped knocking on the restart
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What you are hearing might be "piston slap". It goes away as the engine warms up.

Workhorse W22
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:25 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree, "piston slap".

Did you pre-fill your filter?
iRV4FUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:46 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Remember, GM and Workhorse say it's NORMAL.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:48 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
After oil change I let it set for a few days without starting

............Possibly lost your prime in the oil pump, as mentioned in op, always pre-fill oil filter which primes oil pump much faster. Good luck and travel safe.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:17 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Could be a lifter. At this point it is a scary proposition. Buy some engine flush and follow the directions. then install new oil and check for noise.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:49 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I always prefill the filter and I know the different sound between a lifter and a rod. I am about sure it was a rod bearing it was low in the oil pan I would think the piston slap would be high and you should be able to hear it in the cab, anyway I am going to have my wife start it again while I am underneath, if no knock I going to Colorago and if it knocks I am going to try to pull the oil pan. I should be able to change the rod bearings from below?
Really, my big question, are these engines that built that loose, that a rod bearing would knock without enough oil and then be ok once it got enough oil?
All rod bearing that I have had knocking, I could find excess movement by hand after lowering the oil pan.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:45 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
There is a big difference between piston slap and a rod knock. The piston slap will definitely go away a rod knock typically will not once it starts.

Piston slap will sound very repetitious perhaps like marbles in a can but a rod knock will be a singularity and can be almost timed.

I do experience piston slap when the engine has sat idle for a few days perhaps but the sound always goes away. GM says it is normal however there is a lot written about it if you Google it. My attention always peaks when I hear any knocking however my concern lessens in time and as the engine's temperature increases. I have found that it hardly matters what kind of oil you use and I would not recommend that anyone go with oil greater than 30W.

From the Workhorse Shop Manual:

Installation Procedure
1. Install the oil filter to the engine block. Tighten
the oil filter per the oil filter manufacturer’s
instruction printed on the oil filter box.

That's it!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:48 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Piston slap is not normal on PROPERLY built and assembled engine. Mine does not have the problem so why should any of the others.

Same goes for oil consumption. A quart to a tank of gas is BS and when you GM/Workhorse say this will be normal for 36,000 miles. It kind of makes you wonder when the Engine Warranty length is the same as their claim.

If you Google GM Piston Slap and GM Oil Consumption you will have enough reading material to last at least a week.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:53 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by oemtech View Post
Same goes for oil consumption. A quart to a tank of gas is BS and when you GM/Workhorse say this will be normal for 36,000 miles. It kind of makes you wonder when the Engine Warranty length is the same as their claim..
Dale, I'm sorry but that is not in evidence anywhere here on this board. What they told us is that a 1Qt oil consumption per 100 gallons can be considered normal however what we all see here in fact is that we can normally extend that interval out by 85% to 100% but these engine will consume oil.

Your own personal experience may differ. I may consume a quart of oil in ~1,250 miles. Doing the math on that shows that for me it works out to about 2.5 tankfulls or about 187 gallons per quart of oil. This does not upset me. We have seen where folks don't use any oil between changes so if that's the case that brings in a question if perhaps that engine is too tight or is mine or others too loose. Regardless it has little to do with Workhorse.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:07 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Is it really that difficult to remove the oil pan on yours? If caught early (and it sounds like you may very well have done that) you could pull the pan and inspect the bearing and replace any bad ones.
Quite easy once the pan is off.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:46 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
ron 55,

You mentioned that the noise went away after running and then re starting after sitting for awhile. A rod bearing would knock probably more so after warming the engine, while a mild piston slap will go away due to the expansion of the piston within the cylinder as the engine warms. I would think you are hearing one or more poor fitting pistons in your engine rather than a rod bearing. You can hear a lot more noises while laying under a running engine that you can standing over one. Aluminum pistons expand really fast while standing idle in an warm engine that isn't running and has no oil or coolant circulating.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:08 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have no more knocking after two or three days of staring so I am going to do nothing unless I hear more. thanks everbody
Old 06-09-2011, 05:22 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron55 View Post
I have no more knocking after two or three days of staring so I am going to do nothing unless I hear more. thanks everybody
Ron, Excellent! Keep your ear to the rail ....