Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2009, 08:06 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Royal Purple synthetic Oil

I saw this in my newspaper this morning and it looks good to me. Is anybody here using it and have any experience to share.
This is a line of synthetic fluids out of Porter, Texas. They make engine oils, transmission fluids, gear oil, coolant additives, fuel system cleaner, power steering fluid, chain lubricant, etc.
Does Royal Purple synthetic oil work?
Independent testing shows more power due to reduced friction, 400 percent more film strength,(which means it doesn't allow as much wear and heat buildup), and large reductions in carbon monoxide emissions (62 percent) vs. conventional synthetic oils and "meaningful" fuel savings in both gasoline and diesel engines of up to 4.5 percent (vs. other "energy-conserving motor oils."
Royal Purple secret and proptietary ingredient is called Synerlec, which helps the oil adhere to metal surfaces after shut-down (which aids startup).
According to the company, Royal Purple is available in all manufacturers recommended blends for cars, trucks, and motorcycles (and ATVs, snowmobiles, racing engines, and recreational vehicles) and its compatible with both diesel and gasoline engines.
their website is at www.royalpurple.com
and a phone number is (888)-382-6300.
I like the sound of this but I also like to hear other people's exprerience and opinions.
I Hope to hear from any and all of you that might be using this product or know why you shouldn't be using it.
thanks for sharing,
Bebop
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2009, 08:25 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
I've never tried it as I'm a Mobil guy but I know several people that do run RP and are pleased with it.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:31 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I am currently testing it in my rig. I won't know anything until I change and send a sample to Blackstone Labs.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Royal Purple has soe rather wild claims on their oil. It defies the laws of nature and physics as far as efficiency claims. It appears to be a decent synthetic oil, but probably no better than Mobil 1.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:33 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
I've traditionally been a Mobil 1 user, but since Honda/Acura specify 5w-20 engine lubricant and Mobil 1 didn't offer a 5w-20 when I bought the car, I've used RP 5w-20 in my 2003 Acura 3.2TL-S since new, and it's performed well.

Royal Purple started out as a specialty industrial lubricant supplier targeting the critical applications where other "standard" lubricants weren't performing as well as desired. I've worked with their products since the 1980s on the large industrial engines and compressors manufactured by my employer. They subsequently branched into consumer products. Their synthetics are Group IV (PAO) and Group V (ester, etc.) based.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:27 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll add some more info to my post here. RP seems to be well received by the combustion engine market. My exposure to it has been as a lubricant for large screw compressors. The claims they made were not physically possible. The compressor companies have never accepted the claims of the company or approved it for use in any of the industrial compressor applications.

Combustion engines and compressors are two totally different applications.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:39 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
The compressor companies have never accepted the claims of the company or approved it for use in any of the industrial compressor applications.
Our company does not approve or reject any brand of lubricant for its engines or reciprocating compressors. We publish lubricating oil standards and specifications for specific applications that the customer and his lubricant supplier of choice must meet in their lubricant selections. We have a number of reciprocating compressor customers who utilize RP lubricants successfully.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:35 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've used RP for many years now, Both on the RVs and my drag cars and find the wear factor on the race engines especially on the bearings has been reduced...

Do I believe the hype....NOPE, but I do believe the results on the bearings and cam lobes.....By the way I still add a dab of zinc (EOS) as a safety factor and extend my oil changes to 6,000 miles or once a year....Drag car is based on the amount of passes (30) or so....

Jim
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:55 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have been told, have no idea if it is true, that there are only two synthetic manufacturers: Mobil 1 and Amzoil. Don't know if RP makes their own, or get it from someone else and repackage. If I could not get Mobil 1, I would probably switch to RP.

I use Mobil 1 for its heat dissipating properties in my tranny, as well as improved lubrication for engine life. As to synthetics in general, I've said this on previous threads: What is good enough for USAF jets, new Corvettes and Nascar is good enough for me.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:36 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by oemtech View Post
I am currently testing it in my rig. I won't know anything until I change and send a sample to Blackstone Labs.
Dale, I will be really interested in your final opinion and analysis as it includes a lab study. that is much more impressive then just opinions that may or may not have any valid basis in fact.
Thanks to all who shared their thoughts on this product line. I am trying to decide on using it.
My background is 30 years of manufacturing hydraulic Machinery and components. the standard for this industry has always been the Mobile DTE 26 Hydraulic Oil. All other oils were always rated by comparison to this standard. that is what I always reccomended to my many customers around the world. I am talking about reservoirs that hold a few thousand gallongs of oil and are a major investment with ongoing filtering. I concluded after 30 years that those customers that did in fact use the Mobile Dte 26 industry standard had less downtime and costs of all kinds.
thank you to all who respond to this thread.
Bill
Old 07-12-2009, 02:11 PM   #11
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I have used it for about 3 years in my 5 speed transmission. It ran about 20.f cooler (interceptor gauge) and shifts very smoothly.
I use standard 5-30 in the motor because I change it every 5000K.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:28 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Royal Purple is a decent product, as is Redline, Mobil 1, and a host of others. There are a LOT of semi-synthetics out there as well. Sometimes it's hard to tell if they're a synthetic base or not, the regs were relaxed and some not-so-synthetic oils are called synthetic because they have some synthetic additives in them. There a lot of specialty forumulators for specialty applications as well, like motorcycles, marine, aviation, etc.

For automotive applications, it's hard to beat Amsoil for quality and diversity of product line - they have something for everything. So that just makes it easier. I have never heard anyone use their product and say they didn't like it.

I'm not trying to sell anyone, I'm just sayin'...

Browse here for info on lubricants: www.bobistheoilguy.com
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote