Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2022, 03:00 PM   #1

RV lift?

Figure I'll ask here given someone may have gone this route.

I need to lift the front of the RV (see sig) to install front airbags. The storage lot I'm in is a gravel lot. A layer of gravel with dirt underneath. Was planning on using a bottle jack at min 5 ton rated. I also have a pair of 6 ton jack stands.

Thoughts?
VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System G-Man 360 generator man (PM me)
1972VWbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2022, 03:22 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I retired from being a professional mechanic for 50 years. Be sure to set parking brake and chock rear tires before jacking front.

A bottle jack on anything other than a solid surface has a lot of risk of tipping. Especially once one side is on a stand and you jack up the other side. The nature of a bottle jack requires you to be under the coach while jacking and lowering. A slip could be fatal or at least life changing.

Is there any option to rent or borrow a floor jack? Much safer. Operated from outside the coach. Wider stance on ground, less likely to tip. A sheet of plywood makes floor jacks roll easier than gravel.

If the bottle jack is only option, could you use a 1 inch plywood base under it to stabilize? Jack it only enough to place 1 stand at lowest level, then other side to lowest + 1 click. Then back to 1st and go up no more than 2 clicks and so on. Idea being neither side is off level any more than required at any time.

Be safe.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 03:40 PM   #3

Would also use a piece of Oak under the bottle jack (1 inch thick). Need to lift ideally the front center support (both wheels). But lifting one wheel at a time might suffice.

Lifting this:(upside down have no idea why LOL!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180530_132027[1].jpg
Views:	32
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	374635  
VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
Old 08-26-2022, 03:57 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972VWbus View Post
Would also use a piece of Oak under the bottle jack (1 inch thick). Need to lift ideally the front center support (both wheels). But lifting one wheel at a time might suffice.

Lifting the whole front end with a bottle jack would raise the hazard to a new level. I would not attempt that. Notice the body overhang to get to where the jack needs to be. Your entire upper body would be under there at risk till both stands are set.

A bottle jack has a small amount of flat surface area under it, but only the ram point on top. It just doesn't take much to slip or tip. Floor jacks spread the load over much bigger areas. Rental cost can't be much.

Tell you a method I have used for years. When I need a piece of equipment Only occasionally, I hit Craigslist. I buy it right. Use it at my leisure and sell it for more than I paid for it. It works. Give it a thought.
Old 08-26-2022, 04:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by code2e View Post
Lifting the whole front end with a bottle jack would raise the hazard to a new level. I would not attempt that. Notice the body overhang to get to where the jack needs to be. Your entire upper body would be under there at risk till both stands are set.

A bottle jack has a small amount of flat surface area under it, but only the ram point on top. It just doesn't take much to slip or tip. Floor jacks spread the load over much bigger areas. Rental cost can't be much.

Tell you a method I have used for years. When I need a piece of equipment Only occasionally, I hit Craigslist. I buy it right. Use it at my leisure and sell it for more than I paid for it. It works. Give it a thought.

Yeah just what I was thinking. Now 1 wheel at a time with this...

Where to place it? Behind control arm on frame? Only need to get high enough for wheel off ground to extend the spring.

https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-62...s%2C172&sr=8-4
VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
Old 08-26-2022, 04:20 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:

Looks easy to replace the airbags if you keep it in that position. (I struggle with posting pictures too)
Old 08-26-2022, 04:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
Looks easy to replace the airbags if you keep it in that position. (I struggle with posting pictures too)
That would be the absolutely perfect position. LOL!
VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
Old 08-26-2022, 04:35 PM   #8

I pulled the plug and purchased the 'All in one' Powerbuilt 3 ton

Will get a 1 inch thick piece of oak to go under it (12x12).

Ideal spot for lifting 1 wheel up? (Behind control arm on frame?)
VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
Old 08-26-2022, 04:40 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
[QUOTE=1972VWbus;6289065]Yeah just what I was thinking. Now 1 wheel at a time with this...

Where to place it? Behind control arm on frame? Only need to get high enough for wheel off ground to extend the spring.

I assume the Amazon link is just an idea? I see it is only 3 ton and you mentioned a 5 ton jack.

I am assuming your coach is independent suspension with coil springs and you are replacing the air bag in the spring?

You want to avoid jacking on the lower control arm with a bottle jack. It will lever under weight and may tip the jack. Do jack on a frame location that will allow you to position jack stand once up. Your bottle jack will only have so much travel, so block it up solidly bearing in mind the wheel will drop a ways before it lifts off ground. Defiantly just do one side at a time.
Old 08-26-2022, 04:45 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your last post came in while I was still typing.

The combo stand with jack will make placement easier. 3 tons is a little light, I'd be more comfy with 5 tons, but thats me. You might look at your weight label and see the front axle weight, be sure you are under 1/2 of it.
Old 08-26-2022, 05:38 PM   #11

[QUOTE=code2e;6289099]
Quote:
Yeah just what I was thinking. Now 1 wheel at a time with this...

I assume the Amazon link is just an idea? I see it is only 3 ton and you mentioned a 5 ton jack.

I am assuming your coach is independent suspension with coil springs and you are replacing the air bag in the spring?

You want to avoid jacking on the lower control arm with a bottle jack. It will lever under weight and may tip the jack. Do jack on a frame location that will allow you to position jack stand once up. Your bottle jack will only have so much travel, so block it up solidly bearing in mind the wheel will drop a ways before it lifts off ground. Defiantly just do one side at a time.

Yep, independent front with airbag in each coil spring. I anted to avoid the control for just that reason. Was looking at the frame just downstream of it towards rear. The lift height on jack is 21 inches (not that I need to go that high)

These two spots...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220809_172429[1].jpg
Views:	27
Size:	380.1 KB
ID:	374645   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220809_172448[1].jpg
Views:	26
Size:	374.7 KB
ID:	374646  

VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
Old 08-26-2022, 06:04 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
[QUOTE=1972VWbus;6289168]
Quote:
Originally Posted by code2e View Post

Yep, independent front with airbag in each coil spring. I anted to avoid the control for just that reason. Was looking at the frame just downstream of it towards rear. The lift height on jack is 21 inches (not that I need to go that high)

These two spots...
You will be amazed how high you need to lift to get the tire off the ground. There is a lot of suspension travel and some of your lifting will actually be lifting behind you too.

Set your jack solid on your wood base so the ram is a nearly touching the frame as possible. Have ram centered side to side and pushing where the frame is as parallel to the ground as possible. Don't forget the park brake and wheel chocks. Try to stay out from under while jacking. Remember to use the stand pin once up. Don't rely on the bottle jack alone. If you run out of travel, you could let air out of tire as long as you have a way to air it up.
Old 08-26-2022, 06:36 PM   #13

[QUOTE=code2e;6289187]
Quote:

You will be amazed how high you need to lift to get the tire off the ground. There is a lot of suspension travel and some of your lifting will actually be lifting behind you too.

Set your jack solid on your wood base so the ram is a nearly touching the frame as possible. Have ram centered side to side and pushing where the frame is as parallel to the ground as possible. Don't forget the park brake and wheel chocks. Try to stay out from under while jacking. Remember to use the stand pin once up. Don't rely on the bottle jack alone. If you run out of travel, you could let air out of tire as long as you have a way to air it up.

The nice thing with the 'All i one' Powerlift was the jack stand is built in locks as it goes up. LIFTS AND HOLDS YOUR VEHICLE: A built-in ratcheting safety bar ensures the jack stand stays locked in the raised position.

Product dimensions:

LxWxH
9.75 x 9.75 x 12.25 inches
VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
Old 08-26-2022, 07:41 PM   #14

Ive always used a 8ton bottle jack to lift it up. From there i sectioned a few 8x10 railroad ties into 24" lengths and brace up accordingly..Ive seen to much carnage being raised in a shop and being from a farming community..Railroad ties do not collapse.

Aside from that grease the seats your springs set into heavily, it will save you time and frustration clocking them into the proper position...Removing the lower grease zerks prevents possible carnage at the same time..
EyezOpen is offline   Reply With Quote