Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2020, 04:15 PM   #1

Scan Guage II ...Tips and analyzing

Hi. I am in the process of buying a used 2005 Bounder. Should pick it up next week.

Anyway, the first thing I ordered was a ScanGuage II.

I would be neat if we had a subforum here, under Workhorse forum that was specifically for using the SGII with the 8.1L. Things like what to monitor and why, normal readings, how to spot out of range readings, potential indicators of issues, etc.

Or maybe start an ongoing thread that just explains and deals with issues that folks have been able to identify using SGII. I think it would be nice to have it all in one area.

Jim58
jim58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2020, 04:31 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Great idea!

I bought a ScanGauge at the end of the season last year, so didn't drive much with it at all.

Hopefully I will get to recognize the normal readings next year. Then I will be able to spot any upcoming problems.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 05:48 PM   #3

Check the info listed on the main menu here: www.omeys-performance.com
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Check the info listed on the main menu here: www.omeys-performance.com
Link doesn't work for me
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:13 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
x2 doesn't work for me either
Kevan & Rebecca(BTW) 2009 Fleetwood PaceArrow 38P 8.1 on W24 chassis w/air bags, 1990 Goldwing 1500, 2010 Jeep Liberty, RVM#197, FMCA#F413587, FMA#7985, WCMC, 2 dogs Cody and Sadie
PappaBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaBull View Post
x2 doesn't work for me either

Sorry. Apparently my phone doesn’t copy and paste very well. That sight’s owner, Dale Olsen, is a valuable member here and goes by screen name “Oemy”. His website is a wealth of info about WCC and related RV info. Since I seem unable to provide a correct URL, may I suggest you “Google it”. [emoji4]
Old 01-02-2020, 08:32 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Try this: https://www.oemys-performance.com/

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post

Thanks, Wayne !!!
Old 01-03-2020, 12:31 AM   #9

The main things I monitor on my 8.1L are LF1 and LF2, as a rule of thumb you want to see values of less than 10, anything over 10 or 12 while climbing a hill and you should start looking for the cause, often it will be either a dirty MAF or spark plug / spark plug wire issues, may also be O2 sensors. Max fuel trim adjustment is about +/-20 the bad thing is the 8.1L will not set a warning light for out of trim, and it seems many 8.1L engine have been destroyed over the years due to running lean after hitting max trim adjustment.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 04:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
The main things I monitor on my 8.1L are LF1 and LF2, as a rule of thumb you want to see values of less than 10, anything over 10 or 12 while climbing a hill and you should start looking for the cause, often it will be either a dirty MAF or spark plug / spark plug wire issues, may also be O2 sensors. Max fuel trim adjustment is about +/-20 the bad thing is the 8.1L will not set a warning light for out of trim, and it seems many 8.1L engine have been destroyed over the years due to running lean after hitting max trim adjustment.

Good post. Hopefully enough folks take interest and we can grow this thread for a long time.

Jim58
Old 01-03-2020, 05:00 PM   #11

Just like Isaac-1, I also monitor the fuel trims with the scan gauge II. Awhile back I developed a vacuum leak at one of the intake manifold ports and the only way I knew there was a problem is my fuel trims went way up beyond their normal range. Motor ran fine, no misfire or engine check codes so I'm not sure if I would have done damage before realizing there was a problem without the Scan gauge
Tom
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:20 AM   #12

Will SCII read transmission temps? I use an app called Torque on my smart phone along with a cheap Chinese bluetooth OBDII reader. Works fine for most things but I haven't been able to get accurate readings on the Allison 1000 for some reason. This is a known issue with some GM products, but I tried some of the fixes suggested by the Torque folks and they haven't worked for me. Thought maybe I'd look at getting an SCII, which would also free up my phone for other things.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
Will SCII read transmission temps? .....Thought maybe I'd look at getting an SCII, which would also free up my phone for other things.
Yes and No.

The 5 speed Allison will display TFT thru the SG II.

Sadly, the 6 speed Allison, as used by WCC since 2006 (I think), apparently speaks a different language. L.L. and many others here have tried to crack the code to interpret the Allison language, but so far no luck.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Yes and No.

The 5 speed Allison will display TFT thru the SG II.

Sadly, the 6 speed Allison, as used by WCC since 2006 (I think), apparently speaks a different language. L.L. and many others here have tried to crack the code to interpret the Allison language, but so far no luck.
Thanks for the information. Since mine's a 5-speed it should be a good option for me.