Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2021, 01:30 PM   #1

Scan tool to set timing

1997 Cevrolet P30 chassis. OBD2 port.

I pulled the distributor on a VIN J 454. I did not realize it was not adjustable like an old-school engine. I read in my shop manual (after the fact) that an electronic tool is needed to check "CMP Retard on the Scan Tool." I can't afford a pro tool, does anyone know of a scan tool that will check "CMP Retard on the Scan Tool" affordably?

VIN J 454 = Sequential Multiport Fuel Injection, Enhanced Ignition System
Sundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2021, 02:24 PM   #2

GM changed name from distributor to HVS. High voltage switch.. EPA got tired of people setting their own timing... you tube 1997 Chevy 5.7l vortec timing.. or something like that.. they use same thing

Manually set cylinder #1 to TDC and look on side of shaft of HVS there is a slit and turn shaft until you see white mark.. that is starting point.. when you get it set completely in.. there is 1 arrow on shaft top and a 1 on hvs body.. you got to look hard to see them.. use good flashlights.. then align them with each other..

I had to use.. Amazon OBDLINK MC+ OBD
BLUETOOTH SCANNER 119.00
And my tablet.. follow procedure and set correlation.. What a PIA.. so tempted to change back to old days.. and put Holley 850 double pumper on it..

SO when is a distributor not a distributor ? When gm changed it to HVS.. also.. get a basic repair book for 1997 chevy c2500 or c3500 at any auto parts store.. Chevy used same light duty truck eng and trans in all rv that use chevy or gm eng.. just think as rv is just light duty chevy pickup bolted to big frame with house on it.. the repair book will out line THIS procedure and give you specs for eng and trans.. its a great book to add to your rv library

Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 10-19-2021, 05:22 PM   #3

I bought the GM service manual on DVD for $75 I think. I have watched the videos and printed the page so I tried to get the distributor in the proper position but I think I might be a tooth off. It's a real pain to get the engine on TDC. I have a friend turn the engine via the ring gear on the flex plate. No access to the front of the engine. What app do I need to check the timing?
Old 10-20-2021, 09:35 AM   #4

What type of coach do you have this in that it is hard to get to front of engine?
Old 10-20-2021, 11:51 AM   #5

I used my tablet and MX+ OBD BLUETOOTH SCANNER off Amazon 119.. then i watched video on you tube.. how to set correlation on chevy vortec.. it does not matter on what size or yr.. they are all the same that use correlation..
Then configured tablet mx+ program for Chevy c2500 7.5l for your yr.. then i added correlation program.... then using tablet and mx+ BLUETOOTH.. I was able to set hvs.. until I got as close to 0 or 1.. I can't remember which value off hand..

DO you see the 2 marks on top of hvs.. with rotor cap and button removed ?
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 10-20-2021, 03:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 70 View Post
What type of coach do you have this in that it is hard to get to front of engine?
1997 Itasca Suncruiser. I would have to pull the radiator to get access to the pulleys on the crankshaft.

Tags
timing