Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2022, 12:59 PM   #1

Service Information 8.1l Vortec GM Workhorse W24 (National Dolphin 6375)

Hello everyone.
In a few weeks my National Dolphin 6375 will arrive in Germany. Since I don't know exactly how he was treated in the US, I have to do a service first. I would like to change all the oils, coolant, etc. I will probably not get a manual for it ny the dealer. Could you possibly tell me which oils are used in the rear axle, the engine, etc.? And in what quantity. Then I can already buy and prepare everything. There may also be a manual online that I can use to help, but haven't found it myself. It is a 2005 RV. 8.1l Vortec from GM and the W 24 Workhorse chassis. I would be very grateful for any help. Greetings from Germany.
Mr.Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2022, 01:32 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2

Hope your RV arrives and you're soon on the road enjoying your purchase.

Here are a couple of links that may help with the chassis and one that can provide info on appliances if you don't get an owner's manual for those.

http://workhorse.navistar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=574

www.myrvworks.com/manuals/

www.ultrarvproducts.com
Old 12-02-2022, 01:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mo View Post
Hello everyone.
In a few weeks my National Dolphin 6375 will arrive in Germany. Since I don't know exactly how he was treated in the US, I have to do a service first. I would like to change all the oils, coolant, etc. I will probably not get a manual for it ny the dealer. Could you possibly tell me which oils are used in the rear axle, the engine, etc.? And in what quantity. Then I can already buy and prepare everything. There may also be a manual online that I can use to help, but haven't found it myself. It is a 2005 RV. 8.1l Vortec from GM and the W 24 Workhorse chassis. I would be very grateful for any help. Greetings from Germany.
The 2005 GM 8.1L uses 5W30 engine oil.
The recommended differential oil is 80W90 (conventional)
Of course you can use synthetic oils in the engine, transmission and differential.

Believe the original engine coolant was Dexcool. If the coolant is still original, you can drain, flush and fill with new coolant.

Transmission:
Workhorse utilizes two types of transmissions depending on the Series of the chassis.
The P Series chassis (starting 2003) utilized the GM Hydra-Matic 4L85-E Hydra-Matic transmission, (which was a heavy-duty version of the old 4L80-E).

Prior to the 2006 model year the W Series (20,700 lb. & 22,000 lb). GVWR chassis used the Allison™ LCT 1000 or 1000MH 5-speed automatic transmission while the W Series 24,000 lb. GVWR chassis used the Allison™ 2100MH 5-speed automatic transmissions.

Hope all of this helps.
Old 12-02-2022, 02:13 PM   #4

Thank you guys. That's exactly what I was looking for!!!

I can see exactly what is installed when the RV is in my yard. Then the street legalisation stress in Germany starts. Approval will cost a few thousand dollars more. I don't like my country in that regard :-/

Unfortunately, no US dealer gives me any information before buying as a German. Not even an email reply. So I had to buy it blindly
Old 12-02-2022, 03:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Thank you guys. That's exactly what I was looking for!!!

I can see exactly what is installed when the RV is in my yard. Then the street legalisation stress in Germany starts. Approval will cost a few thousand dollars more. I don't like my country in that regard :-/

Unfortunately, no US dealer gives me any information before buying as a German. Not even an email reply. So I had to buy it blindly
IF it is a 2005 model year W-24, the Allison tranny will be a 2100 series, 5 speed (I think). Unfortunately, that tranny does not have a parking pawl and therefore WCC used the J72 version of the AAPB system. That means that when you shift to "P", a spring applied parking brake (mounted on the DS just aft of the tranny) is applied to keep the coach "parked", and it requires hydraulic pressure to release the brake. While the J72 is vastly improved over the infamous J71 AAPB used on the P series chassis for many years, it is something you will want to learn more about.

The tranny was factory filled with Castrol TranSynd ATF, and it uses a spin-on external filter, Allison part number 29539579, which you MAY be able to find over there if there are any GM truck dealers, or better yet, an Allison distributor. There is no internal filter to replace, except when rebuilding the tranny, and the external filter has no recommended service interval, except for replacement after the first 5,000.miles, which hopefully was done on yours. IF you are going to drain and replace the ATF, then changing the filter is a good idea. You will need at least 10-12 quarts of fluid to replace what will drain out of the pan.

IF you want the "build sheet" for that chassis, send me the last 8 digits (only) of the VIN # beginning with "5B4", to: edgray1@gmail.com
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 01:05 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Guten Tag!
I have 121,000 miles on my 2004 W22 since it bought it new. You haven't told us how many miles are on this coach.

In my opinion you don't have to change the rear differential/axle fluid but just check the level is up to normal.... assuming no noises or leaks.

Also, in my opinion, the Allison fluid does not need to be changed if the color and smell is normal, unless there's 150,000 miles racked up. You could change the spin on filter for some peace of mind. That will use only about 1/2 quart of trans fluid to be replaced. There's a magnet that may stay attached to the old filter so be sure to move it to the new filter. If the trans wear is normal there will be only a very small trace amount of metal particles attached to the magnet.

If you plan to check or replace the spark plugs, there's a good chance the wires will break off at the spark end when you pull the wires off.... unless the wires have been upgraded. It's very common to have a burnt wire depending on the coach air flow design around the engine. The best available to eliminate this problem is the Magnum wires from Ultrapower.

Good luck with your new baby!!!
Bill
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 12:06 PM   #7

The Dolphin is a great coach, but having spent a couple years there in the U.S. Army I couldn't imagine driving one through small German villages! I get nervous enough driving mine on some of the narrower two-lane roads here in the U.S. You're obviously an adventurous sort.

The main concern on any of these coaches is keeping the roof watertight. Get hold of some Dicor sealant if you can, and don't use silicone (RTV) sealants as they are very difficult to remove later.

You'll find many of the basic maintenance parts you need, such as filters, spark plugs, hoses, belts etc. available on Amazon, but the only place to buy spark plug wires is from Ultra RV Products, as Duner said in the previous post.
Old 12-04-2022, 01:13 PM   #8

German roads are made for many things, but not necessarily for US RV that's true :-) But I will find my way. At least I can put it under a roof at home to do repairs and store it in winter. Everyone can do small here. I like it big :-)

however, there is still the possibility that I am not allowed to drive it on German roads because it is 2" too wide
Old 12-05-2022, 01:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
Guten Tag!
I have 121,000 miles on my 2004 W22 since it bought it new. You haven't told us how many miles are on this coach.

In my opinion you don't have to change the rear differential/axle fluid but just check the level is up to normal.... assuming no noises or leaks.

Also, in my opinion, the Allison fluid does not need to be changed if the color and smell is normal, unless there's 150,000 miles racked up. You could change the spin on filter for some peace of mind. That will use only about 1/2 quart of trans fluid to be replaced. There's a magnet that may stay attached to the old filter so be sure to move it to the new filter. If the trans wear is normal there will be only a very small trace amount of metal particles attached to the magnet.

If you plan to check or replace the spark plugs, there's a good chance the wires will break off at the spark end when you pull the wires off.... unless the wires have been upgraded. It's very common to have a burnt wire depending on the coach air flow design around the engine. The best available to eliminate this problem is the Magnum wires from Ultrapower.

Good luck with your new baby!!!
Bill

The RV has about 55000 miles. So I won't have to replace everything first if it runs well. I will probably swap engine oil, coolant and possibly spark plugs with cables. It will be in Germany at the end of December. Then it still has to go through customs and then I can probably drive it in Germany for 3 months with the US export license plates. During this time I will make all the modifications that are necessary.
Old 12-06-2022, 07:58 AM   #10

Quote:
The RV has about 55000 miles. So I won't have to replace everything first if it runs well. I will probably swap engine oil, coolant and possibly spark plugs with cables. It will be in Germany at the end of December. Then it still has to go through customs and then I can probably drive it in Germany for 3 months with the US export license plates. During this time I will make all the modifications that are necessary.
Mr.MO: I have replied to the email you sent me. Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 10:46 PM   #11

There is a National RV Motorhome Owners group on Facebook that you can join for more information on anything you need. I’m the Administrator for the group so I can get you started in the group.
Rhitch54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 01:41 AM   #12

Welcome, mr mo. As a german citizen and an american rv lover, i'veen through this 2 years ago. (Paragraph 21 registration). Keep me posted if you have any question with the tuev registration. This is a great platform. And i don't know what i would have been done sometimes servicing my rv without the knowledge i got on irv2. Great community, excellent help and advice. Nothing comparable in europe. I still read regularly and learn. Ruediger

P.s. and well said about narrow german/ european streets. Sixth sense to be developed while driving here asap. Mine is 33'. Initially i thought about buying bigger. Wrong imo.

Sent from my BBB100-5 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 12-08-2022, 02:09 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Here is a link to a member that has a lot of great informative videos in his collection on W24 and the 8.1. This is just one of many. I use to have that exact Coach model you purchased.

https://youtu.be/Y82GjwbTJnM

Tags
dolphin, national, service, workhorse