Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2022, 03:42 PM   #1

Service life left on P32 coaches?

With the ever increasing number of parts that are no longer available, how much longer do you think it will be possible to maintain and operate P32 chassis coaches, particularly those coaches from the Workhorse ownership era with the 8.1L engine?

I ask because I have owned mine for 6 years now, and have continued see more and more parts that are out of stock nation wide, no longer available, or in very limited national supply and when they are gone they are gone (shifter cables are an example), this trend stared well before covid hit. Some of which include, front wheel hubs, radiators, condenser/transmission coolers, both transmission and oil cooler line sets, power steering pumps, steering boxes, ABS unit flex brake hoses, transmission shifter cables, fan clutches and fan assemblies (unique to the P32/8.1L) and I am sure there are more.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2022, 04:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
With the ever increasing number of parts that are no longer available, how much longer do you think it will be possible to maintain and operate P32 chassis coaches, particularly those coaches from the Workhorse ownership era with the 8.1L engine?

I ask because I have owned mine for 6 years now, and have continued see more and more parts that are out of stock nation wide, no longer available, or in very limited national supply and when they are gone they are gone (shifter cables are an example), this trend stared well before covid hit. Some of which include, front wheel hubs, radiators, condenser/transmission coolers, both transmission and oil cooler line sets, power steering pumps, steering boxes, ABS unit flex brake hoses, transmission shifter cables, fan clutches and fan assemblies (unique to the P32/8.1L) and I am sure there are more.
It depends on how creative you're prepared to be. All of things you listed can be reconditioned, replaced with a bit of effort by adapting something else, or fabricated. The cost of doing that varies drastically depending on whether you can do it yourself and the complexity of repair or replacement.

For example, there's nothing particularly complicated about a fan clutch. At worst you would need a new water pump flange and pulley to mount one that had the right temperature rating. That flange and pulley, if available, would be relatively cheap. Having them made would not be cheap but it's definitely doable. Making them yourself requires a lathe (definitely) and is also a lot easier to complete with a vertical mill (optional). The flange is a press fit on the shaft, so you also need a press to remove and install. If there were enough room you could use an adapter plate instead between the water pump and the fan clutch.

I can think of ways to recondition, adapt, and fabricate any of the parts you listed, but I'm not sure I'm helping. Life will definitely be harder as parts become less available, and if you're not comfortable with parts that are not "off the shelf," it might be time to trade your rig in on something else.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 05:45 PM   #3

My concern is more having things fail on the road a thousand miles from home, vs what I can rebuild at my leisure at home with a shed full of tools.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 05:49 PM   #4

Impossible to know for sure. It's death by 1000 cuts. I don't see P chassis trucks as having a strong "vintage" market like classic cars. While there were probably millions made, there's not a lot of call for restoration parts of a delivery truck vs say a 1960s muscle car. I know I'm stating the obvious. On the flip side there must be some sitting out there in junkyards. I know when I had a P-chassis RV 7 years ago, finding some of the parts took some detective work because a lot of auto parts stores lacked cross references. Many parts wouldn't come up under "motorhome" chassis, so I had to figure out what truck chassis used the same parts. Some came up under a truck model, others under the GVW. I owned an orphaned sports car that was the same way. Parts for it rarely came up on the computer, but if I told the parts guy to search under another manufacturer's make and model, the parts were there. (Made by one manufacturer sold under a different name) With even something as simple as brake pads, it was best that I brought the old one with me so I could open the box of the new pads at the store to compare before going all the way home only to find out they were the wrong parts. As mentioned above, sometimes you must be creative. One time on an older vehicle I couldn't find a replacement alternator, they simply weren't made anymore. I couldn't get the existing one rebuilt, so I was forced to find one of the same specs but it required modifying the bracket to fit.

One thing that may help is there are companies that custom make things like brake lines and cables. Finding such a place can be an issue. Same goes for bearings. The local auto parts store many not carry them, but if you can get the number off the bearing, you can get it at a bearing place, or bring it in and they'll mic it, and find an alternative.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 09:57 PM   #5

I estimate that it will be when gas hoes to 15 or 20 a gallon.. too soon to be sure.. it seems that parts that were license.. just by one manufacturer.. gets 2nd life when the license to the name gets sold to foreign countries.. then .. they start offering them again.. the internet has helped this.. the real problem is that all the old mechanics are retiring or dead.. few if anyone wants to work on them..
If you know where to look.. there are millions and millions of Chevy parts and motors in junk yards .. all across the country... and most of the time they fit.. then there is odd line or cable needed to be made.. many times cheaper than what workhorse mark up.. workhorse never did make that many parts.. they used what ever Chevy or gm. Had leftovers.. and then out sourced the rest.. to the lowest bidder.. they just got paid by part suppliers to use and bolt on their parts..
Now if you are wondering if time for an upgrade.. I say yes... we are not getting any younger.. and this life is only once..
There will be.. still parts of society.. that can't afford 800,000.00 for new unit.. even 250,000.00 and these old beaters still have a lot of love in them.. even if you have to have it towed home..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 06-22-2022, 11:31 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
My concern is more having things fail on the road a thousand miles from home, vs what I can rebuild at my leisure at home with a shed full of tools.
That is my exact fear. My local Workhorse dealer went out of business here last year.

Checked with three other local shops and really didn't see anyone I liked.

Don't know what I'd do 1.000 miles from nowhere.

Contemplating selling while it's still running good.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
p32, service