Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2018, 10:13 AM   #1

Should I be able to lock my brakes?

OK, not that I would really want to, but as a new Class A driver, I feel uncomfortable, because I don’t think I could lock them up even if braking in an emergency situation. Rig is a 2004 Holiday Rambler Admiral 30PDD. Chassis is a 2004 Workhorse P32, 18,000 lb rating, with 8.1L engine, and ABS. Weight of the rig is 17,700lbs on a CAT scale. This engine/chassis uses hydroboost to supply the power brakes. Is the failure to get enough pressure to lock the brakes indicative of a failure in the hydroboost system? Or is the hydraulic system incapable of locking them up- inadequate in this application?
gozierdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2018, 10:24 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have the ABS that will not let the brakes lock up.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:25 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check your owners manual,I think your motorhome is equipped with ASB, (anti-skid brakes), braking system. If so equipped and working properly, you will not be able to lock up the brakes.

One minute too to answer from Mr D.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:27 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
ABS should never allow the brakes to lock up.
That being said, you should be able to make almost everything that's not tied down slide towards the front of your rig on a panic stop!
Your brakes will start to shudder rapidly, pulsing on and off when you reach the lock up stage.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:54 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2004 Monaco LaPalma on a Workhorse W22 Chassis with the 8.1 gas engine and Allison 1000 transmission. I bought it brand new in 2004.

I have had three full on mash the brakes pedal to the floor panic stops. Every time the ABS came on, which causes you to feel a vibration on the brake pedal.

I never had any pulling to the right or the left and believe me the coach speed decelerated quickly. As mentioned previously you should have everything in your coach prepared for a sudden stop. I knew that and nothing hit me in the back of the head.

Two of those panic stops were at the same exit going through Sacremento where people decided it would be a good idea to take the exit from the middle lane, never mind that there is a big honking RV in the slow lane. After the second panic sstop at that exit I changed my route through Sacramento.

The third panic stop was for the same reason in Salinas. Someone decided to cut in front of me to take the exit.

If you ABS light is lit all the time then the ABS won't work but your brakes still work. i don't know if they would lock up or not.

Every vehicle I buy I go to a deserted portion of highway and do a panic stop just to know how the vehicle will react. Prefer to find that out in a controlled situation.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:13 PM   #6

Should I be able to lock up my brakes-engage the ABS?

OK, I was imprecise in my original question. I know this coach has ABS. I am familiar with the feel of ABS engaging (a thump/thump/thump feel in the brake pedal) from other vehicles. I’m not even getting close to that on this rig. I did replace front rotors and pads, and rear pads, last summer after I bought the rig, in case the pads had overheated and glazed the rotors. I’m suspecting the hydroboost needs replacing, but this is the only Class A I’ve ever driven. So I guess the right question is should I be able to activate the ABS under hard braking?
Old 01-16-2018, 03:06 AM   #7

It should come close to lockup on dry roads.

Do you recall how well the brakes stopped before you replaced them ?

Some " long life " brake pads last a long time because they don't grab as well.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:04 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not sure about your coach - but "generally" ABS systems stop functioning below about 15 mph, so you could lock the brakes at slow speed.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozierdt View Post
OK, I was imprecise in my original question. I know this coach has ABS. I am familiar with the feel of ABS engaging (a thump/thump/thump feel in the brake pedal) from other vehicles. I’m not even getting close to that on this rig. I did replace front rotors and pads, and rear pads, last summer after I bought the rig, in case the pads had overheated and glazed the rotors. I’m suspecting the hydroboost needs replacing, but this is the only Class A I’ve ever driven. So I guess the right question is should I be able to activate the ABS under hard braking?
It will pretty hard to activate the ABS on your rig on a dry road way. What makes you think you're hydroboost needs replacing ? Your ABS won't pulse if the controller doesn't detect wheel slippage. Be very careful trying to get the pedal to pulse like an automobile does. I had a panic stop with my coach last year running about 50 mph, and I don't think the pedal ever did pulse, but my coach stopped much faster then I ever dreamed it would. You may have to test it on wet or gravel roads to really see if the pedal will pulse.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:10 PM   #10

Official iRV2 Sponsor

P32’s have notoriously weak brakes, I doubt if you could improve much upon what you currently have. Make sure the system is completely, thoroughly bled and that’s about the best it’s going to get. I seriously doubt even with the ABS offline that you could even get close to a lockup. On a W series I could see it being possible though.
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:03 PM   #11

Thumbs up

Jon,
Thanks for the reply. When I bought the coach, the brakes were abysmal. I replaced what I did because I thought the original owner might have glazed the front disks. This did improve the braking significantly, but certainly they are “weak” by any definition. I thought this might be a generic problem with the P32 chassis. I love the coach and the engine, but if we stay with a class A, I’ll be looking seriously at a W chassis. I’d also get the Allison tranny as a bonus!
Old 01-16-2018, 10:15 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I can 2nd the weak brakes on the P32 chassis. Last rig was terrible sad at stopping (P32), now it's like a sports car in comparison with our W24 chassis.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:21 PM   #13

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Every time I test drive a P32 coach at the shop, I have to remind myself to initiate braking much sooner than normal and if I forget...well, let’s just say I’ve had a couple butt pucker events!!!
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:30 PM   #14

Put Performance Friction pads on my W24 stops like a sports car. Big improvement!

Tags
brake, brakes