Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2007, 09:41 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
where in south carolina can a smi brake system be bought and installed. do they work well on gas mh
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2007, 09:41 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
where in south carolina can a smi brake system be bought and installed. do they work well on gas mh
Old 06-20-2007, 09:52 AM   #3

JDSR: May i suggest you go HERE ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:55 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Actually, you need to go Here to the on-line store. I have the silent partner model and have been very happy with it.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:14 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The biggest concern in installation is cutting into the power break boost lines. The second time I installed the unit (moved to another vehicle), I bought regular lines from my local auto shop and kept the original molded lines in case I needed to remove the unit in the future. The rest of the wiring is ordinary.

2017 F150 Toad
r2dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:43 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
SMI Manufacturing Inc. has joined us as the MH- Towing Issues and Toads sponsor. You can call SMI anytime they're open and talk with someone that can help you about the product you are interested in.

Please see the post in the Towing & Toads Forum for additional information.

You can speak with either Peter, Michael or Brent @ 800-893-3763. Tell them you're a member of iRV2.

At this time an SMI field team is heading for Gillette, WY and then they are heading up to Redmond, OR for both the Good Sam and FMCA Rallies.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:54 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
i called and talked to smi. they will be in ga on the 23 of july. i will be in myrtle beach that same week. i was hoping they had a dealer in myrtle beach. the closest one is sav georgia. isnt one of the drawbacks to brake buddy and others like it are the pressure it takes to apply to dead brake? how is smi diff?
Old 06-21-2007, 01:49 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jdsr:
how is SMI diff? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The SMI brake requires 2 events to occur before it applies the brakes.

<LI> First and foremost you have to physically step on the brake; this arms the system.
<LI> Second you have to generate enough inertia for the system to activate - typically speeds greater than 20 MPH.

Stellar features include

<LI> SMI generates vacuum in the brake booster emulating routine brake operation.
<LI> SMI uses a air pressurized piston (AF1) to apply the brake pedal as opposed to vacuum.
<LI> The SMI brake is 100% proportional.
<LI> No setup and take down.

See the post I suggested in the MH Towing Issues and Toads for links and additional info on SMI products.

Autonomous auxilliary braking systems assume the role of boss of the braking system and can and most often do apply the brakes when they are not needed.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote