Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2020, 06:34 AM   #15

I will do that, thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2020, 06:34 AM   #16

good question, I will investigate, thanks!
Old 12-29-2020, 10:24 AM   #17

If this coach is riding high enough that the rear shocks are fully extended there is definitely something wrong. My suspicion is the springs have been changed or reworked and should be changed or rebuilt to bring the ride height back to specifications. Riding too high like it is is putting undue weight and stress on the front suspension which can lead to excessive wear on suspension parts, causing the front end alignment to be out of spec., the front tires will be wearing faster and steering effort will be increased. This could also lead to poor or uncontrolable braking during a panic stop. Your headlamps must be pointing nearly straight down.
This might be the reason the previous owner sold the RV.
By any chance do you have any service records which would indicate the rear springs have been molested?
I'm very sure in my own mind this coach did not leave the factory this way.
If and when you do get the rear springs attended to it would be wise to have a full front end alignment performed with a check for any worn parts.
Lynn
Old 12-29-2020, 07:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
If this coach is riding high enough that the rear shocks are fully extended there is definitely something wrong. My suspicion is the springs have been changed or reworked and should be changed or rebuilt to bring the ride height back to specifications. Riding too high like it is is putting undue weight and stress on the front suspension which can lead to excessive wear on suspension parts, causing the front end alignment to be out of spec., the front tires will be wearing faster and steering effort will be increased. This could also lead to poor or uncontrolable braking during a panic stop. Your headlamps must be pointing nearly straight down.
This might be the reason the previous owner sold the RV.
By any chance do you have any service records which would indicate the rear springs have been molested?
I'm very sure in my own mind this coach did not leave the factory this way.
If and when you do get the rear springs attended to it would be wise to have a full front end alignment performed with a check for any worn parts.
Lynn
Hi Lynn, turns out I have the late model 'stabil- ride' suspension, this was for the 11k and 12k rear axles, how it got on my 10k, I don't know. There's no sway bar with this system,. a rectangular section steel stabilizer links the front of the springs. Still too stiff but explains why it handles the curves very well, I'll just live with the harshness and enjoy railing through the corners as a trade- off. cheers!
Old 12-29-2020, 11:08 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
trispeed I'm curious what your tire pressures are set to.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:04 AM   #20

I'm sorry but there is still something amiss here. Your shocks should not be fully extended when sitting at rest. I wonder where the rear of the coach would go if one of the shocks broke. Another concern would be the rear brake hose. I'd have a look to see how much if any slack you have in that hose or if it's pulled tightly. With the rear riding higher than it's designed to run at you are also running your driveline at a sharper angle than it's designed to run at.
Lynn
Old 12-30-2020, 06:18 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
trispeed I'm curious what your tire pressures are set to.

sure thing, 72 front and 65 rear, per the Michelin XRV chart for my exact weight
Old 12-30-2020, 06:20 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
I'm sorry but there is still something amiss here. Your shocks should not be fully extended when sitting at rest. I wonder where the rear of the coach would go if one of the shocks broke. Another concern would be the rear brake hose. I'd have a look to see how much if any slack you have in that hose or if it's pulled tightly. With the rear riding higher than it's designed to run at you are also running your driveline at a sharper angle than it's designed to run at.
Lynn
the rear brake hose if fine, as I replaced it along with the steel lines when I replaced the rear calipers.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:11 PM   #23

A truck spring shop can fix your stiff ride and maintain the stable ride system in place for probably just a few hundred dollars. They are good at what they do and fast. Probably just need to remove a leaf or 2 . Get a quote and if it’s too expensive don’t do it. Why complain about a problem then change your mind about fixing it?
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:39 PM   #24

See if these guys can come up with something that will fit your vehicle:
https://www.sulastic.com/Sulastic-1
It absorbs the small bumps, but lets the spring absorb the big stuff.
Old 12-30-2020, 08:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjenturner View Post
If you call a truck spring shop and tell them your issue you may be surprised. There is a good chance they can just remove a leaf of spring (and replace with spacer) and it rides fine after that. And my guess that should be a reasonable price vs rebuilding what you have.
I tried a place in nashville that claims to do suspension work on rv's in addition to big rig diesels, they said they don't do modifications of any kind though if I brought them new springs that are exact replacement they could install them but they wouldn't even begin to recommend anything....
Old 12-30-2020, 08:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
A truck spring shop can fix your stiff ride and maintain the stable ride system in place for probably just a few hundred dollars. They are good at what they do and fast. Probably just need to remove a leaf or 2 . Get a quote and if it’s too expensive don’t do it. Why complain about a problem then change your mind about fixing it?
Can't find a place in nashville that will even consider modifying anything..open to suggestions for shops, thanks!
Old 12-31-2020, 08:44 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by trispeed View Post
Can't find a place in nashville that will even consider modifying anything..open to suggestions for shops, thanks!

Maybe they don’t understand that your rig is based off a factory cab and chassis. Or more likely things have changed since I was in the business because of liability concerns. When rigging out a cab and chassis with a service bed or whatever, spring rates need to change quite often and the spring shops were willing and able to do whatever needed to happen to get a proper level ride. Typically we would have an extra leaf added to the right rear to support a crane.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 06:09 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
Maybe they don’t understand that your rig is based off a factory cab and chassis. Or more likely things have changed since I was in the business because of liability concerns. When rigging out a cab and chassis with a service bed or whatever, spring rates need to change quite often and the spring shops were willing and able to do whatever needed to happen to get a proper level ride. Typically we would have an extra leaf added to the right rear to support a crane.
yessir, I told him it's a P32 chassis and he just stuck the term motorhome and couldn't be budged. I've half a mind to call again and just say 'box truck' P32 and see.....cheers!