Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2014, 07:43 PM   #1

Source for Chevrolet P30 brake hoses?

Greetings all,

I'm having a problem with sticking front calipers on my 1997 Chevy P30 class A coach. Based on posts from users on this forum and others, I believe that the brake hoses may be starting to disintegrate and are acting a check valve.

For example: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/88-chevy-p30-brake-caliper-not-releasing-117698.html

I want to replace the brake hoses. However I'm having the darndest time finding new ones!

This site has them listed: GM & Workhorse (16" DRW) Front Disc Brake Parts . The parts I need are V and W. I placed an order with this site but they haven't shipped yet because they don't have them in stock.

I've checked O'Reilly's, AutoZone, Napa, Pep Boys, and JC Whitney and they don't have these hoses.

I think my vehicle might unusual because it has anti-lock brakes.

Does anyone know where I can purchase these hoses?

Thanks for reading my post.

Rick Byrne
rickbpdq is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #2

Nope yours is not unusual. I had a brake hose rub through and couldn't find one. Ended up taking the old hose to a brake parts distributor here in Stockton ca and they used the long hard line section off the old hose and built me a new one. They are basically obsolete which is stupid!!! I had them make it 2" longer also so it didn't rub or get stretched out when you had to raise the front off the ground to level the coach. We had a 97 Dolphin.

If all else fails; Clutch and Brake Exchange, Stockton Ca. Talk to Brandon.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:45 AM   #3

Have you tried rockauto.com ?

Always had good service with p30 parts for our last RV.
Dodgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:27 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Replaced mine on our last Winnebago and found it without issue at our local auto parts store listed under P30 brake parts listing.

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:37 AM   #5

Auto zone had to order them
whem2fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:51 AM   #6

Advance Auto Parts: Search Results for brake hoses

Here is a link to Advanced auto P30 Brakes Parts
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgey View Post
Have you tried rockauto.com ?
Hi Dodgey -

I thought I had tried RockAuto, but at your suggestion I checked again. I was able to find one of the two hoses! I found it by going to rockauto.com > Chevrolet > 1997 > P30 > 7.4 L V8 > brake / wheel hub > hydraulic hose. The part number of the right hose is Wagner part # BH138865. However I was unable to locate the left hose. There are several left hoses listed, but they are either not the right hose, or the listing lacks an illustration and I don't want to risk ordering the wrong hose.

In any case, when I tried to add the right hose to my shopping cart the site gave me this message: "Unfortunately WAGNER Part # BH138865 is not currently available."

After I posted my original message I did some more searching and I found another source for the part: https://ultrarvproducts.com/store/in...ry&path=34_207 . However the listed price is 3x what Mill Supply is selling them for, so I'm going to wait a few more weeks to see if Mill Supply can come up with them.

RB
Old 06-03-2014, 09:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
Auto zone had to order them
Do you happen to have your receipt? Would you be so kind as to give me the part numbers?

I'm able to locate the Chevrolet P-30 on all of the auto stores' web sites, and they all have brake hoses listed, but none of the hoses are identical to mine. That led me to believe that my vehicle is unusual in some way, but TBS-POPS says my vehicle isn't unusual...

If Mill Supply isn't able to fulfill my order I will look into having a shop custom fabricate the hoses as TBS-POPS suggests.

RB
Old 06-03-2014, 10:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocoffeer View Post
Advance Auto Parts: Search Results for brake hoses

Here is a link to Advanced auto P30 Brakes Parts
Hey! I think we might have found them. According to the Advance Auto web site, the right hose is part number BH138865 and the left hose is BH139209.

The price is 2x what Mill Supply is selling them for so I'll hold out to see if Mill Supply can locate them.

Here's my plan at this point: as I write this it's early June, and I'm not planning on traveling anywhere until July, so I'm going to give Mill Supply a few more weeks to locate the hoses. If they still can't find them I'll either order them from Advance Auto (thanks to Gocoffeer) or visit a custom fabrication shop.

RB
Old 06-04-2014, 06:12 AM   #10

RICK...as a third and yet discussed option....you can take your brake hoses to a "hydraulic hose" company....and they will make the hose for you. I have had at least 5 hoses refurb'd in this fashion for my cars. They do AC hoses....brake....water....just about any hose that has crimped end fittings. In many cases they did not need use my fitting ends..they had similar ones in stock.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:29 AM   #11

I got my hoses 3 years ago when I had my 87 Allegro from NAPA it took them 1 day to get them in.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:11 PM   #12

You can also make your own brake lines. You can buy brake lines from your local auto parts,
I bought a double flare tool from Amazon, about $80.00. I was able to replace all my brake lines. Was not a very difficult job.
hshiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:05 AM   #13

I have a 1998 P30 triple e commander. Getting parts is quite easy and the local Chevy dealer is usually the best source.

Gm sold its business years ago to workhorse and getting parts from workhorse is long. Bu you are in luck a P30 is truly a Chevy so most parts come from Chevy.

You may want to try:
http://www.gmpartsgiant.com

Just input your serial number that will give you a good search tool.

I just had my flex from brake hoses changed but at the same time we also had to change the steel front brake lines.

Your vintage P30 1997 is normal to have AbS and 4 disk brakes
C350AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:55 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Offered as something to think about and check while you are waiting for parts - my calipers were sticking when hot and I found that there was corrosion within the caliper/piston. What clued me into looking was that the bleed screws were corroded on the tapered ends inside. I believe the brake fluid was original (10 yrs old) when I got it. I replaced the calipers, but some folks choose to rebuild them.
And check the back bleed screws too - my back ones were worse than the front.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, p30