Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2021, 10:26 AM   #1
PDI

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spark plug gap

I have a 2004 workhorse chassis RV. I saw a post on there about spark plug gap. It was stated that you should use a different gap then Workhorse states and I can not find the posting at all. it was posted Nov 2020. Can someone help? I have a 5.7L gas
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2021, 03:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDI View Post
I have a 2004 workhorse chassis RV. I saw a post on there about spark plug gap. It was stated that you should use a different gap then Workhorse states and I can not find the posting at all. it was posted Nov 2020. Can someone help? I have a 5.7L gas
I would be very suprised to learn you have a small V-8 powering your Chieftain. ASSUMING you have a W-22 series chassis, you have an 8.1L V-8.

[Mod Edit]
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 05:36 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with Ed, your 2004 Chieftan should be equipped with an 8.1 engine. The revised spark plug gap you mentioned is .045. (45/1000).
Old 05-20-2021, 04:43 AM   #4

Jon Brazel posted this in March:

We’ve done a lot of dyno testing and with our Magnum wires, there was absolutely no difference in power between .045 gapped plugs and factory .060 gapped plugs. Removing the resistance in the ignition wire has many benefits! Back when we use to run Taylor wires, the .045 gap worked well but with the Iridium tips being a bit more fragile I recommend leaving them alone at .060.
2011 Newmar Canyon Star 3411; Workhorse W22; 8.1L; Allison 6-speed
2013 Honda CRV
Portage, MI
RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:01 AM   #5
PDI

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
so sorry, I do have a 8.1
Old 05-20-2021, 10:02 AM   #6
PDI

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
yes, I do have a 8.1. brain fart on my part
Old 05-20-2021, 10:04 AM   #7
PDI

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
you are all right. I have a 8.1, thanks for correcting my Bad
Old 05-20-2021, 05:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredBob View Post

We’ve done a lot of dyno testing and with our Magnum wires, there was absolutely no difference in power between .045 gapped plugs and factory .060 gapped plugs. Removing the resistance in the ignition wire has many benefits! Back when we use to run Taylor wires, the .045 gap worked well but with the Iridium tips being a bit more fragile I recommend leaving them alone at .060.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
I changed wires and plugs, about a month ago, gapped at 45. Done a 400 mile trip and it run great. Do I need to regap to 60, I used the magnum wires.
Leave it where it is if you've already done it. I think the risk is in damaging the fragile tips while performing the gap change.
Old 05-21-2021, 04:48 AM   #10

Just to add to the discussion, I purchased plugs and Magnum wires from Brazels and left the gap at the factory setting of .060. Engine has run perfectly for 3,000 miles.
RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 04:57 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I replaced my plugs just before I saw this thread and set them at .045". I'm leaving them that way! That was in fact the GM recommendation.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 07:02 PM   #12

how can adjusting the gap mess up the tip ? my cheap gap tool does not come close if USED CORRECTLY.

i surely can change the gap on ANY plug w/o touching the tip, can not any competent person do the same - put on glasses so you can see the details if need be ???1

IMO, a silly notion NOT to change gap if needed, what if NOT set correctly from factory somehow ?

please explain ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredBob View Post

Old 06-13-2021, 01:34 AM   #13

The vast majority of plugs already come pre gapped according to manufacture specs for said vehicle.
udid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 05:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingSam View Post
how can adjusting the gap mess up the tip ? my cheap gap tool does not come close if USED CORRECTLY.

i surely can change the gap on ANY plug w/o touching the tip, can not any competent person do the same - put on glasses so you can see the details if need be ???1

IMO, a silly notion NOT to change gap if needed, what if NOT set correctly from factory somehow ?

please explain ?
It's not needed. Did you not read the part about there being no difference in power?