Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2006, 01:03 PM   #1

I have an 03 Itasca suncruiser on an 02 w22 chassis. 28k miles. I had a rather loud ticking sound from the front left of the motor that I was getting ready to have the dealer check out. I just had the ultra power ecm re-programmed(I will give my evaluation on that when i get a few miles on the rig) so I decided to change and re-gap the plugs my self. I got rid of the Denso,s and replaced them with AC 41932 regapped to .045. The old plugs were gapped at .070 instead of .060. Plug wires looked good. Now the loud tapping noise is gone and the engine idles much smoother. I know those plugs are supposed to last for 100k but at $7.41 per plug that just might be the cheapest fix I have had on this rig yet.- john

cookie monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2006, 01:03 PM   #2

I have an 03 Itasca suncruiser on an 02 w22 chassis. 28k miles. I had a rather loud ticking sound from the front left of the motor that I was getting ready to have the dealer check out. I just had the ultra power ecm re-programmed(I will give my evaluation on that when i get a few miles on the rig) so I decided to change and re-gap the plugs my self. I got rid of the Denso,s and replaced them with AC 41932 regapped to .045. The old plugs were gapped at .070 instead of .060. Plug wires looked good. Now the loud tapping noise is gone and the engine idles much smoother. I know those plugs are supposed to last for 100k but at $7.41 per plug that just might be the cheapest fix I have had on this rig yet.- john

Old 05-26-2006, 07:59 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
I don't understand? How does over gapped plugs cause a loud ticking noise?
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 07:32 AM   #4

I don,t understand either. May be one of the plugs was faulty? Maybe because its running smoother the tap is not as noticeable? Whatever it sounds fine now.-John

Old 05-27-2006, 12:40 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
John, Getting my ECM reprog done the 1st at Redlands. When I made appt & discussing what I wanted done I was strongly urged to have Taylor wires installed and regap was essential part of upgrade. The local Napa store that set me up with my diy CAI gear was cautious about rewiring but has since agreed with it if regap is essential part of reprog. Now your post has me wondering. Where did you get yours done and was regap not required? BTY, I'm a regular customer at Napa and I appreciate finding someone in most every store knowledgeable in what I want to do and while they're glad to make a sale they have always told me if it wasn't necessary or there was a better way.

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
eandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 03:14 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds to me like one of the original plugs had a crack in the insulator. The tapping would be a spark jumping to the head or something. That would explain the tapping going away and the engine running smoother.

Glenn
Old 05-27-2006, 03:31 PM   #7

Eandy- I had my ecm reprogrammed at All Wheel alignment in Redding. They download the Vin info direct to Brazel,s and reprogram accordingly. They said the regap of the plugs was not required. I did it on my own. My plug wires looked like new so unless I have a reason to do otherwise - I will keep them. Good people to deal with.- John

Old 05-27-2006, 07:03 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
John, Your reprog is the Ultrapower correct? My guy at Napa is ASE cert and races. Said he uses Taylor wires and tho expensive are worth price. But I'm with you on buying unnecessary things. I'm wondering how people manage to burn their plug wires. My ext manifold is covered with heat shield and wires are properly on "guides" held away from harm. I'd be glad to spend the money if the Taylors actually contributed to Ultrapower.

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
eandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 08:20 PM   #9

Yes its the ultrapower ecm reprogram. Im sure the taylor wires are excellent and I may go to them but for now I am just going to see how this setup performs.I probabably would have gone with their full setup but I already had a Banks stinger and coa. Plenty of power already. I opted for the upgrade to mileage rather than strictly performance. I think its still an increase in hp too. I,ll see.- John

Old 05-27-2006, 10:16 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had the Ultrapower ecm upgrade with regap and new taylor wires. Although wires were in no way burned or overheated in appearance, the crimped connector that snaps onto the end of the plug tore loose and stayed on plugs. This happened on 3 out 4 wires on the drivers side and 0 of 4 on the passenger side. So new wires were in order anyway. Didn't have any prior ignition wire fault indications.

Marty
Old 05-28-2006, 01:14 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had the ECM programing done, By FedEX to Brazel,s. I Installed New Plugs and the new Cables. My cables looked fine, But I pulled one of the caps off while removing them. My plugs looked pretty good , with 20,000 miles on them. I cleaned them and re-gaped them to 0.045 and will swap them out around 40,000 miles and clean the new ones for swap at 50 K or 60K.\
The Rv ran great on a trip of about 900 miles. I need to top tank and check total mpg. My old plugs were gaped at about 0.060.
Old 05-28-2006, 05:19 PM   #12

Anyone know why Workhorse doesn,t use AC plugs? I am assuming that Denso is a Japenese plug?-John

Old 05-29-2006, 07:55 PM   #13

"Originally posted by cookie monster:
Anyone know why Workhorse doesn,t use AC plugs? I am assuming that Denso is a Japenese plug?-John"

Here's what I found...Yes, AC Delco makes plugs for the Workhorse and all GM Cars and Trucks.
But GM's parts supplier, Delphi, filed a Chapter
11 and is going belly up.

Denso is a partner/supplier to GM, so that is
why you could find Denso plugs in an 8.1 L.

Both Denso and AC made/make the new Iridium
Long Life Plugs. They may very well be one and
the same spark plug. The Densos are $80 per set of eight.

Allison transmisson
Steady Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote