Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Spongy Brakes on a P32

Hello,

My rig is in the shop (WCC) because the brake pedal has gradually traveled further to the floor. I figured it would just be an adjustment of some sort.

I have 25,000 miles on it. I have only driven it for the past 10,000 miles and over that time the brakes have continued to soften.

It still stops fine, it just takes a little more leg and I am heading to the mountains and want to be sure they are okay.

The shop says they have NOT found the problem, are looking for leaks and have not come up with an answer, but they want to keep looking. They have been working on it for two days and I am wondering what could be taking so long.

What do you think could be the cause of the soft pedal?
Is it possible that the pads and/or shoes need replaced with only 25K mostly Florida driven miles?
How many hours should I expect to pay for someone to investigate the cause? I got concerned with he said it would take a few more hours before he would know what is wrong.
Is there a known issue with the P32 brakes that I could offer up to the guys at the shop?

From your experience, what is the likely list of things that they may tell me need to be fixed, which really won't need to be fixed? I am skeptical of shops in general as it seems they always try to sell me more than I really need.

Thanks.

GW
'19 Newmar Canyon Star 3911 F53 #26K
'17 Lincoln MKZ towed by BlueOx
GLWilliams58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2009, 07:18 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
GW,

If you have never flushed the brake system replacing the brake fluid that may be your only problem. Brakes pedals on the P32 in my opinion are a little soft anyway.

TrekPR
Old 06-04-2009, 08:21 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If they've been working on it for 2 days (which they have'nt, maybe sitting in shop for 2 days) and still have'nt found the problem, you can be sure they will find something to sell you whether you need it or not. Did you check your brake fluid. The more your pads or shoes wear the more fluid come out of the mastercylinder. If you have shoes on the rear, they may not be self adjusting.
My pedal travels more than I'd like it to and it has always takes a fairly heavy foot to stop it.
The P-32 does'nt have the greatest brakes but I would'nt trade them for the W-22 brakes.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:36 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Check the brake hoses...
Old 06-04-2009, 10:18 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks guys. That is the kind of feedback I was looking for and hopefully all I will hear from them.

I have not heard about anything about brake problems on the P series other than a soft pedal. And if that is normal, there really may be nothing wrong.

I will let you know what they find.

Thanks

GW
Old 06-05-2009, 04:28 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I picked it up today. Apparently the switch to the autopark was leaking some fluid, so my level was low and the switch was bad. They replaced GM part number: 10218778 and bled the lines. They made no other adjustment.

Results: The brake pedal is no longer spongy and the "auto park" lite shuts off when it is taken out of Park. So this all works fine.

Problem: The buzzer is still buzzing when in park. I told them going in that this was not supposed to buzz unless there was a linkage or switch problem. The tech on the job said they all buzz when the autopark in engaged. But the shop manager told him he was wrong. That buzzer should not be buzzing unless there is something that needs adjustments.

So the shop manager wants to do a little more research on that linkage and the switch and have me bring it back when I return from my trip in a couple of weeks.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:00 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Quote:
Problem: The buzzer is still buzzing when in park. I told them going in that this was not supposed to buzz unless there was a linkage or switch problem. The tech on the job said they all buzz when the autopark in engaged. But the shop manager told him he was wrong. That buzzer should not be buzzing unless there is something that needs adjustments.
Before you let the shop do any more work and change you $$$ send a msg to oldusedbear@oemys-performance.com and he will help diagnose the problem and more than likely tell how to fix it yourself.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:36 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by oemtech View Post
Before you let the shop do any more work and change you $$$ send a msg to oldusedbear@oemys-performance.com and he will help diagnose the problem and more than likely tell how to fix it yourself.

Thanks Oemy. I have been in touch with oldusedbear and he has been very helpful. He sent me all the information on the autopark and the instructions for adjusting it and I am pretty sure we have it figured out.

I personally attempted to adjust the linkage per Oldusedbear's direction, but had no luck getting the buzzer to shut off. I continued to adjust the linkage in the direction indicated, but still, the buzzer continues. Which means their could be a faulty switch or possibly the shoes in the drum on the brake need adjusted.

Anyway, with the brakes getting soft and the new development of the "auto brake" light on all the time, I thought it might be better to have the shop look at it while they had it. Unfortunately, they did not understand the buzzer or the cause for the buzz.

I don't have a jack that enables me to lift the rig and secure it confidently on jack stands. That is what is needed to rotate the drive shaft and adjust the shoes on the brake. So I figured while it was in the shop they could easily make the adjustment, or replace the switch. Well....I guess it was not so easy for them.