Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2006, 01:15 PM   #1

Well I took the plunge and had the Stabil Air suspension installed, it is a hybrid steel/air suspension.

Difference is like night and day. The best way I can explain it is this way, when you ride in a Lincoln Continental or Cadillac Deville, it is like riding on sponges, soft but rocky, when you ride in a Mercedes Benz it is stiff and stabil, especially around corners and braking.

Well that is how I believe the Stabil Air suspension has made my W22 ride, like a Mercedes Benz, it use to be like the soft spongey one but no more. I can take corners at posted speed and feel very safe and confident doing so.

I can't wait to add the Henderson rear, SS-302, Davis fron true track and the Safe T Plus.

Maggie (Siberian)
JJ Simba05 FLSTCI02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2006, 01:15 PM   #2

Well I took the plunge and had the Stabil Air suspension installed, it is a hybrid steel/air suspension.

Difference is like night and day. The best way I can explain it is this way, when you ride in a Lincoln Continental or Cadillac Deville, it is like riding on sponges, soft but rocky, when you ride in a Mercedes Benz it is stiff and stabil, especially around corners and braking.

Well that is how I believe the Stabil Air suspension has made my W22 ride, like a Mercedes Benz, it use to be like the soft spongey one but no more. I can take corners at posted speed and feel very safe and confident doing so.

I can't wait to add the Henderson rear, SS-302, Davis fron true track and the Safe T Plus.

Maggie (Siberian)
Old 12-14-2006, 02:26 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JJ Simba05 FLSTCI02:
I can't wait to add the Henderson rear, SS-302, Davis front true track and the Safe T Plus. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I would post for "Suspension Engineer" first before I add any more gear. I don't believe that you need any more suspension equipment but check with him first.

I would say that your ride might be more like a BMW since Mercedes Benz is a competitor to Workhorse.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 02:31 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
I would say that your ride might be more like a BMW since Mercedes Benz is a competitor to Workhorse. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK lets use BMW...

Maggie (Siberian)
Old 12-14-2006, 03:45 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">OK lets use BMW... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
How 'bout we use Porsche, a terrific road car, because the Alpine folks already claim their WRV Peak Chassis is the BMW of motorhomes.

And FWIW, I agree with DriVer-you should check with SE or the parts folks at WCC before adding any mods to the Stabil-Air system. Maybe the steering dampeneris OK, but I'd be concerned about the track bars. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 04:03 PM   #6

OK driVer and Ed

I am putting this out to Suspension Engineer.

SE we talked a bit about this but could you reply with your input.

Thanks

Maggie (Siberian)
Old 12-14-2006, 04:16 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All these suspension upgrades, ultra power modifications, references to BMW, Mercedes and Porsch makes me wonder, how fast do you guys like to go? Mine handles fine but will only go 80 MPH and I got flamed when I said "I did'nt like that speed limiter". Does the "Ultra Power" override the speed limiter?
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 05:50 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
Does the "Ultra Power" override the speed limiter? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>No it does not "because" they wouldn't want to provide the means to exceed the capabilities of the tires.

Regarding all those German cars, we're not so much talking about speed but handling and ride comfort.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:22 AM   #9

Suspension Upgrades :

Rear Panhard Rod (SS302): Will install with no issues on the current Stabil-Ride or Stabil-Air suspensions. There is a difference in handling by moving the roll center down but we were unable to "record" and prove any difference with our 36' Georgie-Boy.

Front Panhard Rod: No need to go there - the front lateral stiffness is already close to the maximum the tires will maintain contact with ground. It will move the roll center down and help with roll characteristics but the rear is the dominant player in roll.

Steering damper: If your coach is wandering then fix the problem with weighting and front axle caster to utilize what is available. Increasing front caster angle is the most powerfull tool available to get to the one finger drive.

Remember that every coach is different based on weight, wheelbase, rear overhang, and driving style. Advise from people who have purchased product and installed is very biased. I have seen very few people state that a product that they purchased and installed is not up to thier expectations. This is just human nature and as an engineer must be factored in to the evaluations. If you want personal information just call - advise is free and as an engineer I really do not care about the sales side of the business. I want a one finger on the wheel drive for everyone.

SE

2001 Georgie Boy 3515
suspension_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 05:15 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by suspension_engineer:
Re: Suspension Upgrades </div></BLOCKQUOTE> That's what I'm talking about! Thanks SE.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:46 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JJ Simba05 FLSTCI02:

I can't wait to add the Henderson rear, SS-302, Davis fron true track and the Safe T Plus. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:44 AM   #12
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Actually running the caster high enough to eliminate the wander may cause a "caster shimmy",this usually occurs on Motorhome chassis above 6.5 degrees.Therefore a Safe T plus will control the shimmy and you get even better returnability.
Trac bars really don't do much for roll stiffness they do more to keep Understeer & oversteer under control.Trac bars on motorhome chassis are designed to keep the axle centered under the frame rails.Thus eliminating the "tail wagging the dog" issue.On the front it keeps the axle center & helps with wandering.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:20 AM   #13

I've often considered looking further into the stabil ride system, but I'm concerned about how much the net weight increase would be. My Mountain Aire is running quite close to max weight. Does anybody know how much the net increase is?

Thanks

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 06:13 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Whoa! IMHO, One step at a time! Don't shot gun a problem. If your thinking of throwing Bucks on the suspension I would suggest getting off to a good start. First would be an expert alignment by a shop that "Really Knows" the WH chassis. Normally it will be close to spec., but the shop that knows their stuff will probably reccommed changing the Caster from the factory setting of 3 degrees to apx. 5 degrees and then ask you to drive it, test it, and then go from there to see if your still not happy with the handeling. The Safe T Plus or like systems, should not be your first step in solving handeling problems and could possibly make things worse if you actually do have an existing problem.
The hardest part about this whole suspension thing is finding a shop that has YOUR best interest in mind rather than being a "cash cow" customer. I belive you can find the best here on Irv2 and elsewhere if your carefull.
Were all just trying to make the "Best" a little bit "Better."
Pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote