Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2014, 09:33 AM   #1

Starting problem - 2001 Itasca Sunrise SE 29A, Workhorse chassis

Hello. I'm a newbie to the RV world (less than a year). Got a great deal on our RV, but given the age and lack of maintenance by the prior owners, it did/does need work (it had the original, very dry, tires on it for crying out loud...I was surprised I made it home and then to the tire shop without losing one or more).

I just had the engine and brakes worked on and it is running and stopping beautifully now. Unfortunately when we stopped in a parking lot about a mile from the house to disconnect our towed, the RV wouldn't start back up. It had started between 4-6 times before that on that day, however. It's not still in the parking lot. We did get her home the next morning, but the problem persist.

When I put the key in and turn it, the accessory lights come on. When I continue to the ignition position, some of them go out as expected, but the starter never gets triggered. I am rewarded with nothing but silence.

- The chassis battery is new and charged (actually the house batteries are too).
- I took the starter off and tool it down to have it tested. The parts guy ran it through 5-7 test cycles and it checked out fine.
- There are two solenoids behind the hood on the driver's side. I replaced the one not labeled as being for the house/coach (still have the old one as a spare since the swap didn't help).
- I jumped/shorted the starter with a screwdriver and the engine turned over fine and I drove it the last mile home so the connection between the battery and starter are good.

The fact that I could start it by jumping the poles on the starter indicates to me at least that the problem then lies somewhere between the key and the starter. Are there any easy ways to narrow it down without swapping out one part after another when the only diagnostic tools I have are my brain (which doesn't help much when it comes vehicle electricity) and a multimeter?

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Mark
roadmaster49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2014, 10:04 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It is more than likely the electrical portion of the ignition switch which is a common problem.Not a bad idea to replace it even if that is not the problem.
bonfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:37 AM   #3

My wife and I had thought of the ignition switch, and I had actually started to pull the steering wheel off to get to it, but backed out of it because I'm hoping there might be a way to narrow the possibilities without simply swapping parts out, especially parts that require other things to be torn apart to get to. It may come to that no matter what depending on what the problem actually is, just hoping to be more certain about it before ripping into it. I've got two weeks before I take it to the shop. If I can take care of it myself, I can happily cancel that trip.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:14 PM   #4

Roadmaster49: Welcome to iRV2, where we have a Workhorse chassis forum. I think you'll get LOTS of answers there. You can use the "triangle" under your name to request the mods move your thread there.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:52 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
Check this post may reference to your problem, let us know how you make out.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:48 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

You'll like the Workhorse Forum.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:47 PM   #7

Forgot about a few things... We checked all the fuses and swapped around all three relays in the fuse box. Still no love returned to us by our RV for getting her away from neglectful owners and starting to get her back in shape.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:11 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We had this happen out West. Our problem was the starter ground. There's a gang ground stud near the starter mounted on the right frame rail. Might try loosing the nut and wiggling the wires, re-tighten and try starting again. It fix our problem and after we got home, I cleaned all ground connectors there and reassembled...never another problem.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster49 View Post
My wife and I had thought of the ignition switch, and I had actually started to pull the steering wheel off to get to it, but backed out of it because I'm hoping there might be a way to narrow the possibilities without simply swapping parts out, especially parts that require other things to be torn apart to get to. It may come to that no matter what depending on what the problem actually is, just hoping to be more certain about it before ripping into it. I've got two weeks before I take it to the shop. If I can take care of it myself, I can happily cancel that trip.
Roadmaster 49, you don't have to pull the steering wheel to change the ignition switch. In fact, I believe there is a good chance that you need the ignition switch. The P-32 has a reputation of having too many things hooked to it.
Check Dales' site out here on how to replace switch and install a relay so it probably will not go bad again Oemy's Web Site - DIY Projects

I believe the ignition part # is KS6622 ECHLIN
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:11 PM   #10

Official iRV2 Sponsor

The Workhorse ignition switch kit upgrade is part #W8002085
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:34 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When mine started to go bad, it would'nt do any thing when I turned the key, maybe the dash lights went out, can't remember. But then I'd turn the key off and try it again and it worked and started the engine perfect. I took this as a red flag warning and put the new switch with relay in and it's been working fine for a few years now with no hiccups.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:21 AM   #12

Ooooh... Will definitely check that out.

I'll post a follow-up on what it was no matter how I end up getting it fixed.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:08 PM   #13

Definitely burned out

It was burned out and UGLY.

I got the starter relay/switch at a local NAPA shop, but had to go 35 miles to the regional warehouse to get the pigtail connector. Apparently there are only 2 of the connectors in the entire metro Atlanta area and they were at that warehouse. Even with the ACDelco and BWD part #s, most places didn't know what it was and those that did would have to special order it.

In case anyone needs them in the future, the interchange part numbers for this particular connector are...

GM: 12102602
Echelin: AC610
AC Delco: PT289
BWD: PT6110

The starter relay/switch Echelin # is KS6622 as stated on the walkthrough at http://oemys-performance.com/diyprojects5.htm#switchfix

I hope the switch is the root of the problem and not a symptom. Will have to find out tomorrow though. Going to the races @ Dixie Speedway in a bit and don't have time to install the new one. Update y'all then. In the meantime enjoy the image of burned up electrical components...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-12_10-56-21_406.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	60466  
Old 04-13-2014, 11:20 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster49 View Post
It was burned out and UGLY.

I got the starter relay/switch at a local NAPA shop, but had to go 35 miles to the regional warehouse to get the pigtail connector. Apparently there are only 2 of the connectors in the entire metro Atlanta area and they were at that warehouse. Even with the ACDelco and BWD part #s, most places didn't know what it was and those that did would have to special order it.

In case anyone needs them in the future, the interchange part numbers for this particular connector are...

GM: 12102602
Echelin: AC610
AC Delco: PT289
BWD: PT6110

The starter relay/switch Echelin # is KS6622 as stated on the walkthrough at Oemy's Web Site - DIY Projects

I hope the switch is the root of the problem and not a symptom. Will have to find out tomorrow though. Going to the races @ Dixie Speedway in a bit and don't have time to install the new one. Update y'all then. In the meantime enjoy the image of burned up electrical components...
I am having the exact same problem. Turn the key and get one click. The starter does not even turn over. All batteries (house and chassis) are new. Have had no problems starting since I bought coach in January (2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U on Workhorse chassis w/V-8 Vortec Chevy engine). Check starter relay fuse (good) and starter relay looks good. Very hard to get near starter with the leveling jacks and other obstructions but did a few taps on it with no good results. Can't reach by hands unless jacked up a bit and I am too old for that.

Question: Where is the pigtail connector that was burned up? Is it near the Fuse/Relay box on drivers side behind hood? Was the relay you replaced the square grey one on the fuse/relay panel? Thanks.
joanbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, itasca, workhorse