Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2006, 02:29 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
In case anyone is looking for a deal, someone on ebay has a new in the box steer safe for Workhorse chassis at $ 115.00, no bids 23 hrs left. No it is not me trying to hawk my own auction. Here is a link. Steer Safe
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2006, 03:59 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Rather than a Steer Safe which in my experience gets in the way of the most routine tasks on a post lift, a Safe-T-Plus or Blue Ox Tru-Center is the better solution to add a margin of safety in the event of a blowout and to reduce the effect of bump-steer.

I just can't see having all the working components exposed to the elements.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:08 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Driver, from an engineering stand point, I feel the Steer Safe is a better option over the Safety Plus. Granted the springs are subject to the road element, but they are a positive return to center where the Safety Plus is not direct acting in that it attaches the steering link. In order for the Safety Plus to work, it needs to be set with the steering straight and the device centered. The slightest off dead center on the device and you constantly have to exert force to steer straight. If you get in a situation with a crowned road, you will need to exert steering force to over come and hold you slightly off center.

I used a Steer Safe on a P-30 chassis and it helped a great deal on ther bump steer issue. Thankfully I never had to test the blow out feature.

I don't know anything about the Blue Ox system so I can not comment on it.

Ken
Old 10-12-2006, 07:26 PM   #4

Hi...I have used SteerSafe on four motorhomes.I must be satisfied. lenOrge

2003 Brave 34D
2001 Tracker
lenOrge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:59 PM   #5

I have had a SteerSafe on my MH for almost 3 years. I feel it has enhanced the handling greatly to the point that I don't have to constantly correct the steering under most circumstances. There have been no problems with it getting in the way or being knocked off or loose.

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 37B,W22,Bilstein Shocks,Steer Safe Stabilizer,Surge Guard,Remco Tow Bar,Chevy Tracker Toad,BrakePro,FMCA F354676,UltraPower Upgrade,
RonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 02:55 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Quote:
to reduce the effect of bump-steer
DriVer - You have been watching to much NASCAR...

Also, has Blue Ox released Tru-Center for production again and have their fixed all the units in the field?

I agree with others that Steer Safe works as designed. I had a class C with Safe-T-Plus style steering stabilizer and it did work but it did not help return the wheels to the center position.

If anyone can pick this unit up for the reserve bid the it is a bargain... I bought mine for $150 used. Considering the CW sells them for $349 at their stupid club price.

But, the bottom line it is personal choice, they all work.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:02 AM   #7

I have tried 4-WAy, Safe-T-Plus and Steer Safe on past MH's. I went with Steer Safe on present MH. Worked the best.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:10 AM   #8
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by oemtech:
Also, has Blue Ox released Tru-Center for production again and have their fixed all the units in the field?
I understand that the re-release of the Tru-center will occur in 1st quarter of 2007 if not sooner. I hope to be one of the first product evaluators of the new Tru-Center. The Tru-Center takes this technology to the next level by offering the operator the option to effectively trim the steering underway when encountering severe crosswinds. Proving this out will be fun. I wish I had the capability when I was running the I-90 in SD.
Quote:
I agree with others that Steer Safe works as designed. I had a Class C with Safe-T-Plus style steering stabilizer and it did work but it did not help return the wheels to the center position.
I don't know why because that's not consistent with my experience. Recently while lubing my front end I raised the front of the motorhome and I did the king pins. I continued to raise the front off the ground and once the tires cleared the ground the wheels centered themselves quite rapidly and stopped front dead center. The STP applies some 400 pounds of centering pressure on the dialed in center point of the STP. Since its been installed and centered its been largely invisible.

I maintain my position that a SteerSafe is a PITA when trying to work under the front end of a motorhome so equipped because the equipment gets in the way of some lifting devices.

The STP is also invisible to drag since it sits up and directly behind the tie rod.

The STP and front track bar compliment one another and remove any tendency for bump steer and yaw. Performing as a 1 - 2 system the technology is effective. No need to take my word for it ask Mike or Steve or Robert Henderson. As far as I know, they don't do SteerSafe and these guys are in the motorhome directional control business.
Quote:
But, the bottom line it is personal choice, they all work.
I hear that. Can't fault anyone for buying a product that they want.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:51 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I bought the Steer Safe that was on E-Bay. I'm going to install it on my P-32 and give an update .
Marty
Old 10-24-2006, 01:43 PM   #10

I didn't think you could put a Steer Safe on a P32????
Old 10-24-2006, 01:59 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, they make Steer Safe for about every Motorhome Chassis
Marty
Old 10-25-2006, 04:30 AM   #12

My Safte-T-plus centers real good.
I think the cylinder is better in the event of a blowout. Works for me.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:09 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well it took me about an hour to install the Steer Safe. Took it for a short ride to check to see if it was pulling one way or the other, it was fine .I'll take it for a short trip this weekend and report back.
Marty
Old 10-29-2006, 07:37 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We went out on Saturday and took a 576 mile test ride with wind from the side, head, tail. As anyone who has driven a P Series knows they can be a hand full at times. I have one word for the Steer Safe, REMARKABLE, felt I was in control all the time. While going up the garde on the Interstate 10 towards Palms Springs I was watching other MH's and they were moving side to side from the side winds and we were not fighting at all. Overall Steer Safe is a great product and works as advertised.
Marty