Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2016, 09:19 AM   #1

Steer Safe on W22

Anyone have experience installing the Steer Safe product on W22 chassis? Happy with the product?
itsrturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2016, 12:56 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had it put on a 30' Monaco Monarch / Workhorse chassis motor home I owned. Never had any problems with it and only once was I in any circumstances where I felt it came into use and that was a severe sidewind that moved me sideways about 3' at 55 mph while I was in cruise control mode. Do not know if it really helped or not as I have nothing to compare it to, but I did not go off the road (other than 3' onto the paved shoulder) before being able to recover and move back onto the primary tarmac. Did stop to change clothes though.

The Hamptons, (Wally & Wendy)
NW Washington State
2015 Newmar Ventana LE 3436
2005 Mini Cooper S
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:48 PM   #3

I put one on my W22 last year and it did what I wanted it to do. This may get a little esoteric, but my background is in developing steering systems for passenger cars and trucks and I was trying to fix a specific issue.

In a good steering vehicle, the amount of torque you have to put into the wheel should be proportional to the response of the vehicle. There is typically a few degrees near straight ahead where there isn't much torque required to move the wheel and the vehicle response is muted. This is where you normally live while driving straight and making small corrections. But once you get a few degrees off center, the force will start to come up more and the vehicle will respond more. If the force and response come up together, it feels connected and natural and you don't have to concentrate on what you are doing cause the feedback to your hands matches what the car is doing.

When I got the Winnebago, the effort build and vehicle response didn't match. In fact, the vehicle response would come first with almost no torque build. So when you went to make little corrections, the vehicle would start to respond with no indications to your hands that anything was happening. By the time your butt figures out the vehicle is responding, you've gone too far. So then you have to make a correction to the other side and it was really easy to start pinballing down the lane. I learned to drive it ok by grounding my forearms on the armrests and adapting to making small corrections with my fingertips and not looking for any feel in the steering.

The Safe-T-Steer adds a spring force towards center on the tie rod which does nothing more than to create a larger centering force and nicely increased the effort on the steering wheel around center so that it better matches when the response comes in. This made it much more natural feeling to drive. Now, its still a motorhome and has the handling characteristics that you'd expect from a small suburban house, but I no longer have to keep my focus on the steering corrections and can easily drive with one hand in good conditions without making constant overcorrections.

Two other comments. Starting out I ran the front tires at max pressure (95) and once I got it weighed and lowered them to the recommended 80 for the measured weight, the steering got better. The over inflated tires were also reducing on center feel. (This was before STS)

I still get pushed around by semis as they pass and the wall of air off their nose works its way down the side of the motorhome so I suspect that front and rear track bars would help too, but with decent steering its not hard to compensate so I've not felt the need to spend the money yet.

The only complaint I have with the installation is getting it centered. Just took a while and a bunch of tries. Have debated fabricating a bracket that would make the process easier and allow fine adjustments, but again, hasn't percolated to the top of the list yet. You can get the mount that recenters with a button press, but its expensive.

Anyway, hope this helps.
WhereBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereBear View Post
I put one on my W22 last year and it did what I wanted it to do. This may get a little esoteric, but my background is in developing steering systems for passenger cars and trucks and I was trying to fix a specific issue.

In a good steering vehicle, the amount of torque you have to put into the wheel should be proportional to the response of the vehicle. There is typically a few degrees near straight ahead where there isn't much torque required to move the wheel and the vehicle response is muted. This is where you normally live while driving straight and making small corrections. But once you get a few degrees off center, the force will start to come up more and the vehicle will respond more. If the force and response come up together, it feels connected and natural and you don't have to concentrate on what you are doing cause the feedback to your hands matches what the car is doing.

When I got the Winnebago, the effort build and vehicle response didn't match. In fact, the vehicle response would come first with almost no torque build. So when you went to make little corrections, the vehicle would start to respond with no indications to your hands that anything was happening. By the time your butt figures out the vehicle is responding, you've gone too far. So then you have to make a correction to the other side and it was really easy to start pinballing down the lane. I learned to drive it ok by grounding my forearms on the armrests and adapting to making small corrections with my fingertips and not looking for any feel in the steering.

The Safe-T-Steer adds a spring force towards center on the tie rod which does nothing more than to create a larger centering force and nicely increased the effort on the steering wheel around center so that it better matches when the response comes in. This made it much more natural feeling to drive. Now, its still a motorhome and has the handling characteristics that you'd expect from a small suburban house, but I no longer have to keep my focus on the steering corrections and can easily drive with one hand in good conditions without making constant overcorrections.

Two other comments. Starting out I ran the front tires at max pressure (95) and once I got it weighed and lowered them to the recommended 80 for the measured weight, the steering got better. The over inflated tires were also reducing on center feel. (This was before STS)

I still get pushed around by semis as they pass and the wall of air off their nose works its way down the side of the motorhome so I suspect that front and rear track bars would help too, but with decent steering its not hard to compensate so I've not felt the need to spend the money yet.

The only complaint I have with the installation is getting it centered. Just took a while and a bunch of tries. Have debated fabricating a bracket that would make the process easier and allow fine adjustments, but again, hasn't percolated to the top of the list yet. You can get the mount that recenters with a button press, but its expensive.

Anyway, hope this helps.
Very well described WhereBear. My RV came with one (Blue OX True Center) but no documentation so I went to the Blue OX website to get information. I understand you hold the button to adjust to driving conditions then release and then readjust as needed in the same manner. Do you know if deactivates when the RV is parked or if it holds previous setting? If not, how to turn off or reset so no more force than is needed is applied? I hope this question may also help the thread creator, itsrturn.
Catch14me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:39 AM   #5

Hi irsrturn,

I don't know the true center operation in detail, but I believe it to be normally locked and it only unlocks to re-center when power from the button is applied. If so it would hold its last position through an ignition off cycle.

Easy enough to test. Get it centered while driving, pull off into a rest area and turn the steering wheel 1 turn away from center and then turn off ignition. (Don't push recenter button). When you start driving again, if it recentered while ignition is off then it will be way off from where you last had it set. If it still feels the way it was before, then it didn't recenter with Ign off.

I'd be very surprised if it resets with Ign off, but as I always remind myself - I have plenty of great theories blown to hell by data...
WhereBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrturn View Post
Anyone have experience installing the Steer Safe product on W22 chassis? Happy with the product?
If you are talking about the Safe-T-Steer Plus, I installed it myself on my Workhorse W-22 chassis. Very easy installation, fine tuning took two adjustments. Entire installation was about 2 hours. A shop, knowing what they are doing, should take no more than 1 hour.

I haven't done a trip with it yet but from test drives, I believe it will solve the "white knuckle" steering I was having to do. Total cost for parts was $540, ordered from Amazon.

Previous to the install, I got a professional front end alignment. I say "professional" because some shops with tell you only "toe" can be adjusted. I went to a shop with superior equipment which adjusted four ways. Cost was high, $350.
rvecafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:05 PM   #7

Steer Safe on W22 chassis

Thanks to all who replied, the information is very helpful.
itsrturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:44 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to chili's trip
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrturn View Post
I had a Steer Safe installed in Quartzsite on my 2005 W-20. Also installed on my previous motorhome, a class C. Helps with control in side winds and maintaining control when going off pavement on shoulder. Steersafe is unique in that each front wheel is controlled seperly. Should help maintain control in the event of a blowout. Good luck.
chili's trip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
w22