Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2006, 03:27 PM   #1
LCM

My wife Shelly and I purchased in September a 2006 Winnebago Adventurer 35'. We have a Workhorse W24 Chassis. The coach has 2700 miles and has a mind of its own, when it comes to steering. It wanders almost constantly regardless of weather conditions (wind). Our dealer where we purchased the coach recommended that we install Safe-T-Plus, which we did. It hardly made any difference at all. We also have play in the steering - it's not positive at all. In dealing with my local Winnebago Dealer, their knowledge has not impressed me in the least. I lack confidence in their ability. I know there are a lot of after market suspension products for the W20 & W22 chassis. I don't seem to find much for the W24 chassis. Where do I go from here? It's very disheartening to have a new coach that can wear you out after only an hours worth of driving and a local dealer who you don't necessarily trust nor has the ability to fix the problem. Any information, suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks! LCM
LCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2006, 03:27 PM   #2
LCM

My wife Shelly and I purchased in September a 2006 Winnebago Adventurer 35'. We have a Workhorse W24 Chassis. The coach has 2700 miles and has a mind of its own, when it comes to steering. It wanders almost constantly regardless of weather conditions (wind). Our dealer where we purchased the coach recommended that we install Safe-T-Plus, which we did. It hardly made any difference at all. We also have play in the steering - it's not positive at all. In dealing with my local Winnebago Dealer, their knowledge has not impressed me in the least. I lack confidence in their ability. I know there are a lot of after market suspension products for the W20 & W22 chassis. I don't seem to find much for the W24 chassis. Where do I go from here? It's very disheartening to have a new coach that can wear you out after only an hours worth of driving and a local dealer who you don't necessarily trust nor has the ability to fix the problem. Any information, suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks! LCM
Old 12-16-2006, 03:33 PM   #3

LCM

The first thing I'd do is get it weighed, each corner if possible. If not at least get a front and rear axel weight. Make sure your weight is distributed as evenly as possible. Next, I'd find a good truck / motorhome frame and alignment shop and get the front end aligned. Then take it out and drive it and chalk up a few hundred miles if possible. I'd also take a moment to read "Driver's suspension modifications" at the top of this forum. That will give you some good ideas to the different fixes available for specific problems. I'm thinking the front end alignment will take care of most of your problems. The W-24 is supposed to have all the the W-20 & W-22 problems solved right from Workhorse.

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:49 PM   #4
LCM

Jack - thanks for your quick response. I have taken the coach in for a front end alignment at a truck alignment shop here in my area (Cape Coral FL) but I have not had it weighed. Right now, my wife and I are carrying very little additional weight in the coach. Like I said it's relatively new and we haven't had the time to fill it up yet with stuff. Also we are not towing either. Larry
Old 12-16-2006, 04:39 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LCM:
My wife Shelly and I purchased in September a 2006 Winnebago Adventurer 35'. We have a Workhorse W24 Chassis. The coach has 2700 miles and has a mind of its own, when it comes to steering. It wanders almost constantly regardless of weather conditions (wind). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>LCM, We have seen recently that caster shims have made an improvement in the way the W24 handles. The caster is changed from 3 degrees to 5 degrees and owners report a significant improvement. You may want to pursue this with your dealer.

Thanks for joining us here on iRV2.com. Please come back and visit us often.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 06:04 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
What tire pressures are you using???

-Tom
parked in Crystal RIver, FL until April

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 06:31 AM   #7
LCM

105 on front - 95 on rear

Larry
Old 12-17-2006, 06:49 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pressure in front sounds kinda high I've been running 90-95 in fronts and rears with FAW=7600#.RAW=14250 loaded to go plus toad at 4250. I probably could go done a bit closer to 90.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:13 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would call rvsef they do 4 corner weighing ,than buy a good tire gauge , one than can be recalibrated if necc. Meyers tire equipment has them, than set tire presures to your weight and see what happens,before you weigh it fill the fuel tank ,I/4 tank of water full propane, put everthing tyu will normaly carry, get air pressure specs to weight from tire maker , Good luck
Phone number RVSEF 321-453-7673

P.s. you have your air pressure to high
Old 12-17-2006, 01:28 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Like everyone has said get it weight with the understanding that the compartments will have to be loaded to balance the load, drivers side to passenger side.
Most coaches these days are heavier on the pass side so put more weight on drivers side. Pass side would have refer,gen,house batts and maybe slide. The sticker by your drivers seat will tell you what your front axel weight limit should be, load the front axel up near that limit your front end will track alot better that way, if you have to much weight to the rear it will take tires in front footprint away so they will not track correctly.

A big welcome to irv2 by the way LCM
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote