RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2020, 07:11 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Steering Vibration

I have a 2009 Damon Daybreak on the W22 chassis. I have just put on 6 new tires and added front and rear Koni shocks. The tires were a big improvement as I had two inside rear tires rotated from the front that were feathered. Having said that, I still seem to have a vibration coming from the steering wheel that makes the whole motor home feel like it is still shaking more than it should. Is there anything else in the steering or somewhere else that I should have checked that could be loose?
stevieptcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2020, 11:43 PM   #2

Does the vibration come and go as you drive?
Old 10-30-2020, 10:43 AM   #3

If you have jacks on your coach jack it up so that the front wheels are off the ground. You can then check for play in your front wheel bearings by lifting bottom to top and also spin the tires by hand to check for bent rims or bad tires. I did that on mine recently and wheel bearings on both sides were loose and one of the front wheels was slightly bent.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:03 AM   #4

Is the vibration speed or rpm related?
Get the front end checked. With feathering you have an alignment issue of some sort. Could be as said bearings or a bent wheel. It happens.You don't want to damage your new tires.
Good luck. Let us know what you find.
Xmcdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:17 AM   #5

On tires, there are TWO things to consider on tires:

Balance

OUT-OF ROUND (the often neglected item)

Said another way, you can balance an "egg-shaped" tire, but it WILL vibrate.

So, start by checking for RUN-OUT (how far out of round the tire is). If over .035", fix it. Rotate it on the wheel, recenter the wheel on the hub, "true the tire", etc.

THEN, balance it.

Any tire shop should have a run out gauge. We are talking about less than a three minute job per tire to check this.
Old 10-30-2020, 03:53 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The vibration goes away some after running for awhile. However I can definitely feel the vibration in the steering wheel at all speed.
Old 10-30-2020, 03:55 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
Is the vibration speed or rpm related?
Get the front end checked. With feathering you have an alignment issue of some sort. Could be as said bearings or a bent wheel. It happens.You don't want to damage your new tires.
Good luck. Let us know what you find.
I had the front aligned after the feathered tires were rotated to the rear. I don’t think it’s alignment as it steers straight.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:06 PM   #8

If it's a vibration that comes and goes as you drive. I have found 2 bent wheels will do that. Wheels never rotate at the same speed. Slightly bent wheels will rotate to the point the bends are opposite on each wheel they cancel each other out. as they continue to rotate at different speeds they will be at the point where the bends are lined up. the vibration in the wheel comes and goes as you drive, no matter the speed. for miles it may be reduced, only to return in a few miles. Find the less bent wheel, on the rear, or spare. Swap it for ONE of the front wheels. on the back, you won't feel it. That's what I found. It can drive you crazy looking for it.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:34 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieptcb View Post
The vibration goes away some after running for awhile. However I can definitely feel the vibration in the steering wheel at all speed.
Just to be clear...does the vibration go away after driving for a while...or does it get better after driving a while but is always there?

That info can help define the problem.

What brand and size tires are on it now?
Old 10-30-2020, 08:01 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Were the tires spin balanced with weights or did they use beads?
Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:00 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Were the tires spin balanced with weights or did they use beads?
They used beads for the balancing.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:04 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
Just to be clear...does the vibration go away after driving for a while...or does it get better after driving a while but is always there?

That info can help define the problem.

What brand and size tires are on it now?
The vibration gets better as I drive but the vibration is always in the steering wheel. The vibration does come back as I'm driving. The whole coach shakes when it comes back.
The tires are 245/70R 19.5 Uniroyals. I wanted to try the Uniroyals since they are now owned by Michelin and are made in the US. The original tires were Goodyear and the previous tires were Toyo. I got five years from both sets and about 40,000 miles on each.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:54 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieptcb View Post
The vibration gets better as I drive but the vibration is always in the steering wheel. The vibration does come back as I'm driving. The whole coach shakes when it comes back.
The tires are 245/70R 19.5 Uniroyals. I wanted to try the Uniroyals since they are now owned by Michelin and are made in the US. The original tires were Goodyear and the previous tires were Toyo. I got five years from both sets and about 40,000 miles on each.
You said in your original post, "I still seem to have a vibration coming from the steering wheel." If I put this all together, you've had 2 sets of tires this vibration on at least two sets of tires. With your new tires you have vibration that is worse when the tires are cold but is always there regardless of speed or engine RPM?

Most people describe tire issues as a shaking of the steering wheel. You call it a vibration. Is it more like a buzz or is it an up and down or side to side shake.

The fact that it hasn't changed through more than one set of tires suggests something other than the tires. I would take it back to the tire installer and see if they can pin point the problem.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:44 AM   #14

The 2 wheels on the front are bent slightly. Beads or weights makes no difference, some shops only use beads now. The tire store sells tires, if the tires are ok, that's what the tire store works on. Mid trip in Arizona after buying new Hankooks, 245x70x19.5, I couldn't stand it any longer, it felt like the motorhome was shaking itself apart when it was the worst.
I found a tire shop that would work with me, I pulled off all 6 rims, spun them on their balancer and watched, I picked the least two bent steel wheels and used them on the front. 5 were bent some, you could see it on the edge of the rim. it cured my vibration, FINALLY. Same problem on another RV, I paid 600$ for 2 new steel wheels for the front shipping and all. your wheels are likely accuride brand and have a number stamped on them. Southwest Wheel in Dallas. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/ford...on-468310.html

Tags
steering, vibration