Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2009, 11:34 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Strange Engine Noise

I am posting this poser for you guys that like to ponder. W-22 01 35R Southwind. Yesterday a 90 mile run at 55mph and a 10 mile run at 30mph to the CG. After registration my friend started the engine and there was a loud noise that I related to a bad bearing in the idler or alternator or tensioners, as well as hot insulation smell. I removed the belt and spun all of the rotatable items. No noise or roughness in any of them. This AM we brought it up to temp and did a 5 mile run. Alternator was putting out 14.2-14.4 no codes, no noise, no smell. Checked around with an IR temp gauge and a piece of dowel, all very normal. So I don't have a clue. 300 miles tomorrow so we shall see.
Carvin Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2009, 12:48 PM   #2

Did you check AC compressor clutch? I don't know why but seems every problem I've had w/them started as an intermittent (tho didn't stay that way long).
Old 06-13-2009, 06:09 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes the clutch pully free spun, no noise or drag. Thanks
Old 06-14-2009, 08:06 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
was your engine run air conditioning turned on at the time? if so, the compressor could have stalled and the serpentine belt slipped on the pulley making the burning smell.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:47 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dan, The A/C was not on. Thanks for the tought. Does anyone know how to stop the e-mail respose to the post? I'd rather read them here. Marv
Old 06-15-2009, 07:52 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Turn off instant e-mail notification. Click post reply; click go advanced; scroll to said option. Hope this works for you!
Old 06-15-2009, 08:02 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry. I got my mords wixed up. Don't click post reply. Just click Go Advanced in the bottom yellow field of Quick Reply section.