Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2007, 02:54 AM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Also sounds like you might have lost more than one cylinder-----
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2007, 05:47 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
The plug wires generally burn just inside the plug boot and you will not see any signs of arcing. I would pull the wires and plugs from the back 2 cylinders on each side and check the plugs. If you have a bad wire it should show up on the plugs with heavy deposits or discoloration.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:41 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If it is the lifter:

I have freed up sticking lifters before with rislone which is an oil additive you can find at walmart or auto stores. A half qt added to the oil will sometimes clean them enough to free them. The stuff is really quite effective unlike many other additives out there.
In fact a friends late 90's 8.1 was one we tried this on. Takes a little while to clean it out, around 5 - 15 minutes of driving to warm the oil and circulate the high detergent additive. It sometimes will not be a permenant fix either and the lifter may just gum up and stick again after a couple more oil changes.
The synthetic would not cause any problems, the synthetic should keep things cleaner that your original dino oil. Many engine builders still go by the idea of using reg oil for several oil changes until the bearing are properly seated, and then switching over to synthetic.

Link to rislone manufactures web page:
http://www.barsproducts.com/100QR.htm
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:27 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ctcamper:
the synthetic should keep things cleaner that your original dino oil. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree. At normal operating temperatures dino oil will keep your engine as clean as synthetic oil. If this was not a fact all manufacturers would include synthetic from the factory and would require synthetic as part of their warranty requirements.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:34 AM   #19
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
At normal operating temperatures dino oil will keep your engine as clean as synthetic oil </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I think that we also need to point out that clean is a function of the oil filter.

Synthetic motor oil is in fact a superior product in every respect however dino oil is all that is required to enforce an warranty which at the present time is 5 years or 100,000 miles.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:43 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
I think that we also need to point out that clean is a function of the oil filter.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clean in respects to contaminate particle size, YES. In respect to acid build up and particle size smaller than the filter media, NO.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:15 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I disagree. At normal operating temperatures dino oil will keep your engine as clean as synthetic oil. If this was not a fact all manufacturers would include synthetic from the factory and would require synthetic as part of their warranty requirements. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To name a few advantages:
Syn oil does not oxidize as fast.
They tend to retain their viscosity over a greater temperature range which means easier starting in cold. Synthetic Oils have lower coefficients of friction. An engine that starts easier and get oil to moving parts faster is a plus in my book

There are many manufacturers that put syn oil in the cars from the factory, including Mercedes, BMW, Porsche - the chevy corvette etc.. Mobil reports 35 manufactures that use syn in some of their vehicles off the floor. Tends to be mostly higher end vehicles that do leave with syn oil. Manufactures are not going to give the consumer the most expensive, or best product. The warranties are very short so if a product works, even though it doesn't work the best, will be good as long as it saves money on the assembly and feeds the overall profits.

All oils are exposed to higher temps on cylinder walls which is even greater with diesels than with gas.

I probably should have said, instead of cleaner, that synthetics are less prone to forming varnish, and sludge over time so that engine parts remain cleaner.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:26 AM   #22
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ctcamper:
.... synthetics are less prone to forming varnish, and sludge over time so that engine parts remain cleaner. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That would be consistent with the facts as I know them to be true. Considering all the trails that a dino oil is subject to, synthetic oil will out perform dino oil from startup to shutdown and beyond.

(formerly from Connecticut)
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:01 AM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks to all for replies.

As a long consultation with a Workhorse tech, I decided to have it towed out of here to the Chevy dealer in Pahrump ( who asserts that he has done Workhorse warranty work). Since the engine is vanilla GM, I am comforatable with this.

Will update next internet opportunity.

For any one who frequents Death Valley, there are a couple of new things.

One is free WiFi at the visitor's center which has been a huge help with dealing with mechanical problems.

The other is cell service. In the past, I had to drive all over to get cell service. Now, I have it in the campground in my motor home. Important note, the service is analog only. Digital only phones DO NOT WORK HERE. Something to keep in mind when some glib salesperson is trying to get you to 'update' your phone.

2007 Forest River Lexington Ford E450 Chassis
bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:28 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
I have not been reading the boards here for a while & Bruce never did contact me.
I have been Hosting here at Sunset CG since Oct 15.
I have internet via Hughesnet & would have been happy to let him use my service to log on & he could have also plugged his computer in while online.
The Visitor Center does have free WiFi but folks have told me it is slow & there is no place to plug into power while online.
Currently there are 3 campers here using my WiFi network to get online. They have to ask first since my system is encrypted.
Well if anyone else come to Death Valley please stop by & say Hi & lof on if you need to. We are hosting here until the first part of Jan.2008
Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rvjer:
Bruce,

Try checking with the campground hosts at the Sunset campground. Their names are Mike & Wendy Coke. Tell them you heard about them from me if you want. They may not be able to help you directly but can probably steer you to someone how can.

Jerry Ray </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
MikeCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:30 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I was quite happy with the WiFi at the visitor's center and, with a little creativity, power could be had.

Thanks also for the kind offer of your WiFi. That certainly would have been more convenient than walking to the VC. I did see your WiFi but it never dawned on me that it was available.

I wish that I had seen this reply earlier as I was in Sunset yesterday on my way back from Pahrump. Would have liked to say hello.

Repairs are completed and I will start a new thread to wrap it up.

2007 Forest River Lexington Ford E450 Chassis
bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote