Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2005, 04:50 AM   #1

RV dealers advertise a 8.lL and a 8100 engine.
Are they the same engine?
MONTANA RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2005, 04:50 AM   #2

RV dealers advertise a 8.lL and a 8100 engine.
Are they the same engine?
MONTANA RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 05:29 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Hey Red, Yes they are the same engine. I think the industry just tries to keep us on our toes.
Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 07:48 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yep. It's the same.

8.1 liters = 8,100 cc (cubic centimeters). The actual displacement of the Vortec 8100 is 8,128 cc or 496 cubic inches. YOWZA! Big blocks forever!

The manufacturers just round off the cc's because Vortec "Eighty one hundred" sounds better than "Eighty one hundred twenty eight", and it's easier to say.
Horsepowerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 08:34 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Horsepowerfan - You mentioned 'Big block' and it got me to remembering a conversation I had just the other day with a teenager at the gas-station.

He'd heard me start up my W22, and just stood there transfixed listening to the exhaust-note and rumble. He asked what kind of engine I had in there, how come his little Mazda-truck didn't sound like it and did I think a different muffler might make it sound similar. I explained that there was a whole lot more to it than just sticking on a low-restriction set of pipes or none at all. He asked a few more questions about engines in general, and I think he went away visualizing what it'd take to transplant that 8.1 under his hood (I doubt it would even fit in the bed of his pickup!).

Made me realize that's one more thing we could enjoy in our youth that isn't available today: the chest-thumping, ground-shaking beat of a good ol' Made-In-America-V8. Too bad all the kids get today is the flatulence-snort of the little 4-bangers.

My last rv had the Ford V10 in it. That was a lot throatier than anything today too, and even sounded a bit like a real race-car, with its smaller cylinders but more of them.

Hey, do you think racing-stripes would look ok? And maybe some custom seats with 5-point harnesses? Where can you get slicks in duallie-configuration?

Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 11:45 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ronboc:
Made me realize that's one more thing we could enjoy in our youth that isn't available today: the chest-thumping, ground-shaking beat of a good ol' Made-In-America-V8. Too bad all the kids get today is the flatulence-snort of the little 4-bangers.

Hey, do you think racing-stripes would look ok? And maybe some custom seats with 5-point harnesses? Where can you get slicks in duallie-configuration?

Ron </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're speaking my language, Ron!

I too agree it's sad (and comical) to see these little sport compacts with the ground effects, flashy wheels and paint and "flatulent" 4 banger exhaust note. There is NOTHING as you say like a good ole V8!!

I can't think of anything more fun to do than hop up my Workhorse, but as I've gotten older I remember those days of high performance mod's and bolt-on horsepower parts, etc. and I also remember what my father told me.... "High performance is highly troublesome". Did I listen then? NOPE! I think that my dad gets smarter and smarter as I get older so I imagine my 8100 will stay stock.

Racing stripes, safety harnesses, dually slicks? That'd be so cool! I just saw that you can get some really nice lookin' Alcoa aluminum Durabright rims for a Workhorse. HMMM. Makes me start to thinkin.

I have to say I really love the sound of that Vortec engine windin' up as I motor along. I actually had to tell myself to slow down last weekend on the way home from a camping trip. My bride had taken a separate car and I was headed home by myself in the MH. It just puts a big grin on my face to lay into the accelerator and feel the power!

Many moons ago I had a 1980 Chevy Malibu that I pulled the 229 V6 out of and dropped a .060" over 396 big block into. That was a real sleeper. My other "Hot Rod" was not so sleepy. It was a '66 Chevelle with a highly modified 327. Had a tunnel ram with dual quads stickin' through the hood.CLICK HERE and scroll to the bottom of the page to see some pics.

As Tim Allen would say... "More Power! Grunt, grunt, grunt!"
Old 07-29-2005, 12:10 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Pics look great, Jim. Love the Chevelle, always one of my favorite, they just look so good (and run too). And I especially like the Moto Guzzi, don't see many of those around anymore.

Yup, fathers sure get smarter as time goes on. I had Mustangs (can I say that on a Chevro.... I mean Workhorse ... forum??) and for some strange reason, the parts I wanted to hop-up always seemed to be the ones I 'broke' and had to replace anyways ("Dad, I need $85 for a new 4-barrel carburetor. Why? Because the old one is a 2-barrel and it's shot, really").

Then I gravitated into British cars (MG's and Triumphs) after college. Wasn't the noise I was after, but the handling.... oh, and they were great as babe-magnets.

Sure miss those days sometimes.

Definitely Tim Allen "Grunt-grunt-grunt" time.

Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 12:40 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I feel sorry for today's kids. I like the "flatulence" description of exhaust notes - it fits.

Then again, some kids never grow up. I don't intend to get rid of my 72 Javelin. It's definitely not stock. And it certainly keeps me from growing old (or up).

2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 02:54 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ronboc:
Pics look great, Jim. Love the Chevelle, always one of my favorite, they just look so good (and run too). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Ron. I sure do miss that car. I never finished it, but then again, something like that is always a work in progress and ever-evolving. I certainly remember the days of askin' dad for some bucks to upgrade my ride. Oh, and you're right about those MG's and Triumphs being babe magnets. One of my friends in high school had an MG and we'd cruise the beaches. It was definitely popular with the ladies!

Hey, Cruzer! I was wondering if you'd chime in here. I love that smokin' burnout pic of the Javelin! Really makes me want to head out to the dragstrip. Maybe we should see about adding a Hot-Rodder's forum here. I know, I know, it's an RV forum. Well we can hot rod those too!

BTW Cruzer, do you still have the pic of your Suncruiser with the low profile rims on it? I'd like to see that one again.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:24 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Many moons ago I had a 1980 Chevy Malibu that I pulled the 229 V6 out of and dropped a .060" over 396 big block into. That was a real sleeper. My other "Hot Rod" was not so sleepy. It was a '66 Chevelle with a highly modified 327. Had a tunnel ram with dual quads stickin' through the hood. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, the 8.1 and the 8100 are one of the same. Too bad they don't use the 496 on the outside somewhere. It could be the 496ci/8.1l/8100

You will still see me tow (on a trailer) my 53 MG TD around. Ya, it's foreign on the outside. Under the bonnet it has a 327 with 3 duces bolted up to a built two speed power glide, this is powered to a Danna 60 rear end that was cut down six inces on both sides to fit inside the wheel wells, with a 4" driveshaft. With 18" glasspacks on both sides. A real sleeper. I pull the bonnet off once in a while to show all the chrome. But the power pulling it (the 8.1) is great as well.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 06:09 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Not sure why you would want to mess with a great package as the 8.1. The engine and tranny are matched to get optimum performance. With computer controlled EMS I am not that any mods would be offset by the computer unless you re-calibrated the fuel management and a few other things. Once you start it is almost never ending task of tuning.

Now as for "hot rods" I have a had a few.... 65 Chevy - 396, 69 Chevelle - 396, 2 SS Monte Carlo's, 1 Monte Carlo SS Aero Coupe, 82 Vette, 40 Austin - 389 Tri Power, 59 Impala - 348 etc.... Check out the pics of My Cars
Old 07-31-2005, 06:16 PM   #12

Had a chat today on another forum with a fellow who is curious about the concept of a turbo-blower on a big block Moho. Afraid I discouraged him.

Back in Osopeachy, I had a TR3A that had a "Flatulent-Four",but how that stock pipe could be made to sing.

Cisco and Pancho,
DickNJo is offline   Reply With Quote