Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2011, 05:48 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY7170 View Post
It would have saved me money from buying other aftermarket add ons to keep the coach from swinging and swaying plus much better ride.
Which suspension modifications or equipment were in place when you added the Roadkings?
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2011, 08:11 AM   #16

I replaced shocks with Koni FSD, Henderson's Track Bars front and rear. The RoadKings keep the coach flat and unmoving when I enter with my big fat behind and keeps the swing gone and feel 100% better. I have short 04 30ft Trek w20 which liked to bounce in and out of the road ruts which is gone now also.

04 Trek 30ft
Beetle TDI
NY7170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY7170 View Post
I replaced shocks with Koni FSD, Henderson's Track Bars front and rear. The RoadKings keep the coach flat and unmoving when I enter with my big fat behind and keeps the swing gone and feel 100% better. I have short 04 30ft Trek w20 which liked to bounce in and out of the road ruts which is gone now also.
Beetle TDI, Are still running the track bars?
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:36 AM   #18

Yes, I still have the Trac bars and I would assume they help but the major improvement was with the shocks. I had about 40,000 miles when I installed them now have 48,000. With the shocks the body is stiff and the bounce or roll is gone when you enter the unit. I think the suspension now takes control of the road and wind. I do not sell these shocks but am a believer in them.
NY7170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:24 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have just completed installation of SumoSprings on the front of my MH. It will be about 2 weeks before we are out on a short trip to Calico. The main reason I am installing is for hopeful improvements to the road bumps. A lot of California's roadways are pretty bad, due to very heavy truck traffic. I-5 was built with what was then, new Federal construction techniques, that did not work out. Last year we did significant damage to the MH, on I-580 in the bay area due to the potholes.
On a P30 chassis Pace Arrow we had two rigs back, I had installed air bags in the rear, and saw significant improvement. With the amount of extension I have with my jacks, I was leary of putting air bags on this rig, especially in the front. The jack extension would pull the air bags way beyond their capability in front. The SumoSprings are not attached at the bottom in front, so is not an issue. They are attached at the bottom in back, but I have had a discussion with Gerry Lambet, CEO of SuperSprings, and the SumoSpring has enough capability to stretch that it would not be a problem there either. They have been very informative and helpful, as reported by others.
Will give a report after a trip as to what we think. If any of you do this yourself, I suggest taking the front bolt out of the frame crossbrace, in front of where the jounce bumper you are replaceing is, this is on the drivers side, the passenger side has more room to work with. (before anyone raises the issue, I did put it back in.)
pkmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We made the first trip after installing the SumoSprings on the front axle. Went out 58 and up I-15 a short distance to Calico over the weekend. (100 miles each way) There was a definate improvement on road roughness. A lot of rough spots were just noticable on the front axle, and showed up immediately a lot stronger over the rear axle. Before, from the driver's seat, I could not tell much difference between the front and rear. I did not expect to see any handling/tracking improvement, have not had an issue with these on this motorhome anyway. I could use some improvement in low speed sway control, cannot say for sure that there was any improvement here or not. For the $175, and hour (note 1) of my time putting them on, it was well worthwhile. Will think a lot harder about $600 for the rear axle. If I determine I can safely put air bags on the rear axle,(air bag overextension may be problem with leveling jacks) that is on the order of $250.
Then again, some of you whose judgment I am beginning to trust, are really making the case for Koni shocks, and that's in the $600+ range also.

Note 1, took about 45 minutes the 2nd time around, I used the supplied spacers the first time, and was getting spring compression, so took the spacers out. (I know, measure twice, install once, I allways seem to get this backward).
Old 04-05-2011, 04:35 PM   #21
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
They are just like the old Roman roads - coblestones. We could sure tell that we changed states as we drove North into Oregon.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM View Post
They are just like the old Roman roads - coblestones. We could sure tell that we changed states as we drove North into Oregon.
Coblestones would be better I think, at least with coblestones, the corners are rounded! Has anyone taken the 580 through the east bay area recently? I would like to find out if it has been resurfaced since 2 years ago.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkmesser View Post

Note 1, took about 45 minutes the 2nd time around, I used the supplied spacers the first time, and was getting spring compression, so took the spacers out. (I know, measure twice, install once, I allways seem to get this backward).
I've made the same mistake. Having added the shim during first installation, the Sumo was in contact with the spring at normal riding weight/height and it did seem to make front ride more harshly then my co pilot liked. I removed front Sumos and re installed originals with out telling her. She was able to notice difference in ride and thought I lessened air pressure. So, when I get home again I will try the Sumos once again without the spacer.

I have the rear Sumos and don't see any issues with over extension when using the rear jacks. However I feel the rear ride height is very slightly higher.

Marty
Old 04-17-2011, 05:52 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just completed my first drive after installing the Sumo Springs on the front. This is a 170 mile round trip that I do every other weekend in the summer.

The Sumo Springs exceeded my expectations. The ride is noticeably better. Bridge approaches that used to slam me are much more gentle.

This part feels strange to me and I can't imagine why, but it seems to track better. I am doing less correcting and I am a lot more relaxed driving it.

A big thumbs up in my experience.

I put both shims in and they are in contact at normal ride height. Since they were included, I figured that I should put them in.

My only critique is that the installation instructions were totally lame. They called for a 10mm wrench and the nut coming out was 5/8" and the new one was 1/2". There is a thread called 'Sumo Springs Install' if anybody wants details.

2007 Forest River Lexington Ford E450 Chassis
bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote