Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sumo Springs

After reading about them I believed they might help in side to side sway I have experienced with my coach since it was new. The wide oscillating side sway that occurs coming off of a driveway ramp or curb like drop on one side has always been bothersome. Adding Bilstein shocks and a rear sway bar and later Koni FSDs helped the ride significantly but did too little to dampening the side to side sway mentioned above. I thought the Sumo solid airbag like construction made with material offering a non linear compression effect could help. Recently I added Sumo Springs to my chassis, front and rear.

After about a 1000 miles of travel on familiar roads I can report that I see no improvement in the sway effect described above.

However, I have noticed a difference in the ride over all. There seems to be a more muffled road noise within the coach due to road seams and such. My perception is that the ride is somewhat more firm. And I feel like the coach is riding more level.

Also having traveled thru some of the worst wind conditions a few days ago in southern Ca. I can't remember the coach handling and tracking in the wind this well before now. I would have to say that some improvement in the ride has occurred due to the Sumo Springs.

With more miles accumulated, I will follow up later this summer.

Marty
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2011, 04:28 PM   #2

Thanks Marty
I have been waiting for someone to try these. I'm thinking of just putting them on the front.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Marty, have you considered a Davis-Tru-Track to tie the front end together?

http://www.roadmasterinc.com/product...c/trutrac.html

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&EM View Post
After about a 1000 miles of travel on familiar roads I can report that I see no improvement in the sway effect described above.
Marty, I was expecting that evaluation. Thanks for confirming.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Marty, if you come up with a cure for that side to side sway on leaving drive ways, gas stations etc., let me know will you. A cure would sure make me a hero with the DW. She gets pretty ticked when the upper cupboards get re-arranged quite frequently because of this sway.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have put the Sumo Air like front springs on by W22 and found much improved side to side sway. I run the stock Shocks. I think a great improvement for the price, I installed them myself took about 1 hour.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #7

Sumo Springs

I also recently installed a set of Sumo Springs on my W24 chassis. The motorhome seemed to corner a little better and bumps were not felt as harshly. It did feel like the rear end needed some more support now as it felt loose compared to the front end. Guess the rear Sumo Springs will be next.
Dave1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1960 View Post
It did feel like the rear end needed some more support now as it felt loose compared to the front end.
Crank in a couple more rounds of wedge on that thing and tighten er' up!
Old 03-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's what the Sumo does.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Marty, if you come up with a cure for that side to side sway on leaving drive ways, gas stations etc., let me know will you. A cure would sure make me a hero with the DW. She gets pretty ticked when the upper cupboards get re-arranged quite frequently because of this sway.
Dieselclacker,

Available for the front and rear of most motorhome chassis, these anti-sway bars are made from high quality steel and are much heavier duty than factory anti-sway bars. They control the rocking and rolling of the coach over bumps and unlevel road conditions. If your coach leans, sways or rocks in a side to side motion this product will make your driving experience much more comfortable!

This Roadmaster Anti Sway System provided by Brazels RV Performance will keep the dishes in the cupboard and the DW smilin'!
Old 03-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

fred
Fred, see my signature, just re edited it.

Marty
Old 03-09-2011, 09:12 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
Fred, I have 2 track bars and an ST+ and these devices do not mitigate sway.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1960 View Post
It did feel like the rear end needed some more support now as it felt loose compared to the front end. Guess the rear Sumo Springs will be next.
That's it Dave. I was trying to think of the descriptive to use. The coach feels like it IS more TIGHTLY tracking since adding the rear Sumo springs. I noticed this a few days ago driving in the terrible wind conditions in S. Cal.

I added the front Sumos my self. Took less then an hour.

I was unable to loosen rear wheels myself so I had the rear Sumos added during the brake recall at Redlands RTS.

Marty
Old 03-13-2011, 09:26 AM   #14

I had the same issues and finally bought RoadKing Shocks, had to refinance the house but boy o boy I wish I had done it before. It would have saved me money from buying other aftermarket add ons to keep the coach from swinging and swaying plus much better ride.
NY7170 is offline   Reply With Quote