Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2018, 08:21 PM   #1

Sumo springs and Koni shocks

I know this has been discussed before but not sure if anyone did it in deliberate steps. I decided to add these two suspension upgrades to my 2004 Coachman Santara on a W-22 chassis. History: Front and rear track bars (that helped stabilize it in windy conditions and overall better drive ability). 35' long with a 228" wheelbase it does not have the large overhang that some of the longer gas coach's have so it never suffered from extreme porpoising.

First I installed sumo springs--this certainly helped to tame the jarring when hitting those lovely bridge approaches that Pa. is so famous for (why can't they get the road to same level as bridge) and also lessened body roll. Well worth the $ and effort to install.
Then came the Koni shocks to replace the Bilsteins. This in my opinion is the perfect combination for a spring ride coach. The Sumo/Koni's teamed up to make for a more compliant ride on rough pavement and improved handling characteristics . Without a doubt the best money I have spent on this chassis
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2018, 10:40 AM   #2

Did you install Sumo springs front and rear?
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Did you install Sumo springs front and rear?
I only did the front Sumo's because my MH came with factory air bag helpers on the rear. The front seemed to be where the help was needed most as I'm sure the front springs have sagged a little over the years. The Sumo spring touches my leaf spring but not by very much and did not change the front ride height
Tom.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:16 PM   #4

I am equally very pleased with the Sumo Spring / Koni shock combination on my W22.
Was an easy installation and cost effective upgrade.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCoTom View Post
I only did the front Sumo's because my MH came with factory air bag helpers on the rear. The front seemed to be where the help was needed most as I'm sure the front springs have sagged a little over the years. The Sumo spring touches my leaf spring but not by very much and did not change the front ride height
Tom.
Thanks. My coach exhibits the same jarring so I may try the front Sumos, although I have read they are not fun to put in. Any tips?
Old 06-27-2018, 05:37 PM   #6

The Sumo spring attaches to the frame at the same area the motor support cross member is located. What this does is create a boxed section of the frame rail and makes getting to the single mounting bolt somewhat difficult. I loosened the nut with a socket/ratchet (you get about one click at a time on the ratchet) and when possible turn the bump stop while holding the nut, goes much faster. When installing I used a long pair of angled needle nose pliers to hold the nut while starting the Sumo. Big hands are not your friend for this job, but if I can do it so can you.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:34 PM   #7

Just checked my coach and did a mock removal check. I can get the socket on the nuts both sides, etc. but have a quick question.

The original bumper stop looks like it has a large metal support washer affixed to the top. Did you reuse this on the sumo springs or just mount the sumo springs against the frame?

Any photos of them installed?
Old 07-15-2018, 03:20 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I did mine, I moved the nut for the sumosprings interposition using a weak magnet. Once in a position I held the nut with a nail and pulled the magnet out. Then I put my finger on top of the nut and threaded the Sumo spring until it was finger tight. Then I put a wrench in the nut and tighten the Sumo spring the rest of the way with a strap wrench. Been there for 4 years.

2007 Forest River Lexington Ford E450 Chassis
bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:20 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Apologies for any voice-to-text anomalies

Old 07-18-2018, 05:59 PM   #10

Ordered the fronts today.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:28 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceh View Post
When I did mine, I moved the nut for the sumosprings interposition using a weak magnet. Once in a position I held the nut with a nail and pulled the magnet out. Then I put my finger on top of the nut and threaded the Sumo spring until it was finger tight. Then I put a wrench in the nut and tighten the Sumo spring the rest of the way with a strap wrench. Been there for 4 years.
Now that you've had the sumos for 4 years, what is your opinion on them with the W20 chassis? Did you do the fronts only or front and back? Would you do this upgrade again?
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:45 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I did front only. Big difference in the ride. Would definitely do again.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:07 PM   #13

How do the Sumo's soften the ride over the factory yellow ones?
Old 07-19-2018, 06:41 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The factory ones are just bump stops. Sumosprings soften the ride.

Tags
shocks, koni