Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2021, 12:22 PM   #1

Suspension Upgrades - The price of perfection

Just added my latest (and last) suspension gizmo to my W-22, a front sway bar. Most upgrades I've made have resulted in incremental improvements. This one was very noticeable... reduced roll when turning and a taut feeling now rather than wallowing. Think BMW vs your dad's 1972 Buick. I swear it feels like I lowered the center of gravity. Over time I've added what seems like hundreds of pounds of unsprung weight to my suspension, and I also removed a 125 lb TV and associated mounting tray from over the driver's head, so maybe I DID lower it!

Winds were calm today, so I can't vouch for whether or not this sway bar affected how the rig behaves in crosswinds. Other mods I've made over the last couple years improved this considerably, but it was the one area I felt that there was still more room for improvement.

I love how my moho drives now, but it took me $4k to get there. I feel like I got a bargain price on my Dolphin. It had low miles (13k), and we really like it, so I had no problem spending the money vs buying a newer rig that would depreciate that much every few months.

Here's what it all cost, based on latest prices I found on the Internet (mostly Amazon and eTrailer):

Rear Trac Bar (Blue Ox) $726.42
Front Trac Bar (Davis/Roadmaster) $405.47
Rear Sway Bar (Hellwig) $911.76
Front Sway Bar (Roadmaster) $760.89
Steering Stabilizer (Roadmaster Reflex) $470.00
Sumo Springs, front $203.99
Sumo Springs, rear $220.00 (I used P-30/32 rears on my W-series)
Alignment with caster increase to approx 5.5 degrees, $300.00

Also note that I did all the installations myself, so you'll need to budget more if you're having a shop do the work for you. A cordless impact wrench will make the job a lot easier. I only bought one last week, and wish I had done it right at the beginning!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2021, 12:41 PM   #2

Cam: congrats on getting your upgrades done, for being able to do the work yourself.
Looking at your list, I am shocked to see the rear track bar cost that much. It isnít much more than a frame bracket, a differential bracket and a bent piece of rod stock
When I bought the Henderson SS 302 back when my 2003 W-22 was new, I think it was less than 300 bucks, but now realize that was almost 20 years ago
edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:05 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
WOW, thats a lot of upgrades and a lot of money, as long as your happy the way it drives.

You saved yourself a bunch of $$ doing it yourself.
Old 07-09-2021, 09:40 AM   #4

Dumb question, but my 2006 W22 has bump stops that are very similar in design to the Sumo/Timbren design. Assuming the OEM's aren't cracked and falling apart, is there a real upgrade to be had there?
GM loves using this design of progressive bump stops on their trucks - my GMT800 pickups ride on the softest part of the bump stop at ride height - Makes sense to provide a progressive spring rate, but I digress...
Old 07-09-2021, 10:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo128 View Post
Dumb question, but my 2006 W22 has bump stops that are very similar in design to the Sumo/Timbren design. Assuming the OEM's aren't cracked and falling apart, is there a real upgrade to be had there?
GM loves using this design of progressive bump stops on their trucks - my GMT800 pickups ride on the softest part of the bump stop at ride height - Makes sense to provide a progressive spring rate, but I digress...
Yes, the Sumo Springs replace the factory bump stops. In front, they seem to reduce the amount of suspension crashing on bridge transitions and expansion joints. The Sumos are taller and a softer foam than the factory bump stops. They also seemed to reduce the wallowing over bumps. Think BMW vs a 1960s Buick. Not nearly that dramatic, of course, but maybe that gives you the idea.
Old 07-10-2021, 08:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo128 View Post
I agree about Sumo's being an upgrade over the hard plastic OE bump stops. Neither of them do much of anything unless they are in contact with the top of the spring pack. My W-24 based Itasca Suncruiser front end was so light the bump stops almost never touched and the Sumos were not large enough to fill that excessive gap.
edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 09:56 PM   #7

I put P32 Sumos on the rear of my W-22. They came with plastic spacers that I didn't need, so I used them on the front instead to close that gap. Might be a little more height than what was ideal for my rig, but I'm happy enough with the extra cushion I get on transitions and expansion joints that I haven't removed them.

Tags
suspension, upgrade