Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2016, 11:36 AM   #1

Sway Bar vs. Sumo Springs

I have a 2007 Dolphin 6320 on a W22 Chassis with 25,000 miles. I've added track bars front and rear, upgraded to Koni shocks, and tried tire pressures based on weight & tire brand, plus increases in tire pressure. Everything has helped somewhat, but it definitely could use more sway control (side to side). Have any of you tried Sumo Springs and/or a rear sway bar to increase ride stability when going through curves? If so, what were your findings as to improved handling? Thank you in advance for sharing your experiences!
Gary
garyvont is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2016, 12:02 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Garyvont
Please be reminded that track bars reduce left to right motion when a truck passes you. Sway bars reduce tilting right or left when going around corners. My P32 has a sway bar front and back and behaves reasonably in curves. Do remember you may be driving a brick on wheels and any add-ons may not give dramatic improvements. It is hard for me to believe that your chassis has no sway bars at all. Take another look.
garyspang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:42 AM   #3

Thanks Gary for your input. You are certainly right about "driving a brick . . ." I'm spoiled from 16 years driving a good handling 30' Class C. Unfortunately, my rig came with no sway bars - I'm certain.
Gary
Old 05-05-2016, 07:56 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dolphin is a good brand, do crawl under the unit and check for worn sway bar bushings (any daylight around the perimeter). They are usually made from rubber and have a limited life. Replacements made from Urethane are firm and perform better.
garyspang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:49 AM   #5

I am surprised that a lot of owners with questions don't investigate the different "owners clubs" for their RV or chassis. I suggest these groups are more likely to have brand-specific knowledge and can usually be found with a small amount of searching. I found this really fast, and maybe the people here can assist: Workhorse Chassis Motorhome Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyvont View Post
I have a 2007 Dolphin 6320 on a W22 Chassis with 25,000 miles. I've added track bars front and rear, upgraded to Koni shocks, and tried tire pressures based on weight & tire brand, plus increases in tire pressure. Everything has helped somewhat, but it definitely could use more sway control (side to side). Have any of you tried Sumo Springs and/or a rear sway bar to increase ride stability when going through curves? If so, what were your findings as to improved handling? Thank you in advance for sharing your experiences!
Gary
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:25 PM   #6

Thank you George! This is a new one for me. I have already placed it in my "Favorites" file, and definitely intend on joining it.
Gary
Old 05-10-2016, 09:07 AM   #7

I put a Hellwig Rear sway bar on my W22. The first drive made it seem like a sports car. It was like night and day in corners and driveways. Over time though it feels still big and heavy but I know it is still way better than no sway bar. I would like one on the front one day. Roadmaster has one as well that should work just fine
Dougsee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:07 AM   #8

Thank you Dougsee! Did you install it yourself or have it done for you? Just wondering if the average Joe could install it without any heavy equipment. Thanks Again.
Gary
Old 05-11-2016, 11:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyvont View Post
Thanks Gary for your input. You are certainly right about "driving a brick . . ." I'm spoiled from 16 years driving a good handling 30' Class C. Unfortunately, my rig came with no sway bars - I'm certain.
Gary
Your W22 most likely does have sway bars, but they are Workhorse's version. Look for a square tube mounted between the front or rear leaf springs.

Having said that, I don't think they are as effective as a conventional sway bar.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:28 AM   #10

I did it myself on my driveway. It went well but took me about 3hrs to 4 hrs but the exhaust pipe did not clear. I had to unhook the exhaust to lower it and drive to a Muffler shop for modification.
The 4" tailpipe on my coach runs up and over the rear end and out behind the left rear dual. They at my request cut the pipe above the rear axle tube and made it 1.5" shorter so it would clear the cross member mount that comes from Hellwig. I did not know that i would have to do this mod on the exhaust when I went with the Hellwig Bar as it was quite a bit cheaper than the Roadmaster and looked easier to install. In the end the Hellwig was only like about $100 cheaper after the exhaust bill. A W22-24 takes a 7219 or a 7237 part number depending on the year and shock absorber mount. I can take curves on the hwy. 10 to 20 MPH faster now and feel safe and my dishes are way happier pulling in and out of driveways. I got it from Summit Racing with free shipping 3 years ago.
Dougsee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:10 AM   #11

Thank you Dougsee!