Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2014, 09:18 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Taylor 409 wires -photos of hard to find misfire

I wanted to post this to show what I found after much searching for a mis-fire on my 8.1l vortec. See the photos for what I found.

This failure of the wire is hard to find without knowing what to look for but after two I finally figured it out. The connection of the wire to the plug clip apparently arcs and heats up and melts the wire covering and makes the boot swell up slightly (a hump as looked at from the side). Another tip-off is that the boot will be EXTREMELY difficult to remove from the spark plug due to the distortion (or maybe the melted silicone sticking to the plug - not sure on that).

Anyway if you have a mis-fire you can't find take a look for this distortion and if so replace the wire. I had 2 do this recently and two previously that the boot split open as shown in the photos. I have a cooling kit on my RV and the wires have less than 3,000 miles on them.

Hope this helps someone spend less time than I did chasing a mis-fire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3576.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	53768   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3578.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	53769  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3579.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	53770   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3580.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	53771  

deputydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2014, 10:36 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:01 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
I too was still burning wires after the cooling kit was installed. Workhorse told me to make sure the outlet of the cooling kit was blowing directly on the wires that were failing. Never had a problem since.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:24 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My Bad Taylor 409 wire were easier to find.

I sent the pic and an email to Taylor, but they just ignored it.
IMO, this is one of the very most overrated products I have ever bought. They look look really good though when new. The Cheap 7MM OEM style wires are much more durable and heat resistant

Full Timer, are you still using the Taylor wires?
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:08 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
Full Timer, are you still using the Taylor wires?
I never did use Taylor wires. I have the original set on except for the #5 wire, which is from a cheap set I bought at an auto parts store. The Workhorse Engineer convinced me that the problem is not the wires, but it is all about airflow.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:44 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Max49: Wow, I could have found your bad wire in the dark! That is what I find interesting - None of my 4 failures looked burned or discolored in any way. The boots and wires looked as new except for the splits or the swollen plug boot. Yours looks like charcoal!

I sent the pictures today to Taylor and they said they were sending them to QC and manufacturing for review. We shall see what they say.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:47 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
8.1L in other vehicles

I also find it interesting that they shoe-spoon the 8.1L into the Suburban and several other vehicles and they don't seem to have the issue yet there is less room in the engine compartment than under my doghouse by a long shot and less exit room for the hot to get out
Old 01-14-2014, 10:04 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Deputy Dog, actually they did'nt look like that, or at least I could not see that well until I got them off. I was getting used to burnt wires, when I hear it missing, I first go to the #5 wire and tug it off, if it comes off clean, I put it back on and move over to #6, one or the other always pulls in half because it's half burnt already.
I may have the problem fixed now with 2 air scoops with an inline marine blower in each duct, when the scan gauge hits 200* I turn the blowers on. I also installed a 180* thermostat. I had no burnt wires last year, the first year ever with no burnt wires. But I still carry a bunch of extra wires, cheap OEM style. I do cross the Rockies on nearly every trip I take.
Somebody else said Taylor was going to replace his wires but they did not even answer my email.

I also don't understand the air flow problem, I can look over the front tire and see my #5 and 6 wires, seems like they should get plenty of air flow.
The air flow may be part of the problem but our 8.1s also work harder pulling more weight
Denver, Colorado
Old 01-14-2014, 10:26 PM   #9

I replaced the taylor wires on the racecar with magnecor wires. lifetime guarantee - they have replaced two that i pulled the plug end off, no questions asked.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:09 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does anyone have any recommendations for what brand of ignition wires to use for replacing the original ones on my 8.1 . (Obviously not Taylor 409's, ) Does NAPA, Carquest, Autozone, O'Reileys, or any other chain parts store offer a decent set of wires for the 8.1? I have not experienced any problems with the original wires or plugs, but I am planning on changing plugs and wires along with doing some other regular maintenance items on our motorhome this spring. There is no nearby Workhorse parts supplier, so I would prefer buying from the local parts store if a decent set is available.

Thanks,
Old 01-15-2014, 09:33 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't have an 8.1 but do have a 7.4 and have been running the NAPA heavy duty wires with no problem yet. When I replaced the old ones the engine really smoothed out and then intermittent miss is gone.
DDDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:12 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Good Post

Anybody tried the "Magnum" wires from Brazel's? I too need to get a set in the next week or so.
Drag Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #13

Magnum wires

I have 14K on mine work fine but I had no trouble with the stock wires either.Purchased them from Glenn@ OEM Engineering out of Texas 972-542-9696
Old 01-16-2014, 06:32 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
quote from me
"Somebody else said Taylor was going to replace his wires but they did not even answer my email."

I take that back, they did answer and were very friendly but wanted pictures of the engine compartment. I sent them what I had.
Today , they sent me an email saying they are sending me 2, two new wires but suggested I buy their heat resistant socks , regularly about $75 for about $30.
I appreciate that they did'nt just ignore me but I still think they have great looking plug wires for showcars but don't seem to be even as durable as the 7MM OEM style wires.
Denver, Colorado