Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2010, 08:53 AM   #1

The brake recall officially begins!

Checked my Workhorse.com account today and found the recall on my W22 chassis;

My Campaigns - Open
Campaign No.
51101-C
Description
Replacement of Bosch Service Brake Calipers

Time to call the local WH SVC Center and hopefully beat the rush!
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good news indeed.

Sounds like they want to set the schedule. Read below.

This is what Workhorse says about the replacement schedule.
Due to the nature of this issue, it has taken an extended period of time to correctly identify the root cause of why certain pistons may become stuck in the caliper bores. Once the root cause was identified, Workhorse assisted Bosch in evaluating potential design changes to the caliper assemblies. This process of evaluation was also time intensive as full vehicle testing could only occur during certain times of the year.

We are pleased to report that Bosch has completed their development and testing and has finalized the design of the modified service brake caliper pistons and housing bores. Bosch has recently begun production of the redesigned caliper assemblies for the final remedy.
Once a sufficient number of the redesigned caliper assemblies have become available to support the final remedy process, a notice will be sent out to the owners of the affected Workhorse chassis asking them to schedule their vehicle for the final safety recall remedy procedure.

We apologize for any disruption and concerns associated with this issue. We take pride in the quality and reliability of our Workhorse chassis products and the after-sale service and support we provide to you and your motor home. Your confidence in Workhorse is extremely important to us, and we are committed to doing all we can to make your ownership of a Workhorse chassis as worry free and enjoyable as possible

UltraPower ECM Program
Joe Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:29 AM   #3

What are the part numbers for the front and rear brake pads when changing to the new calipers (if they've changed)? I would like to buy my own and provide them to the WH SVC Center for replacement during the recall work.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:31 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine is "OPEN" as well. Now we can only hope the dealers are notified sometime in the near future. As of this morning my local dealer chuckled when I told him of the notice and said he hasn't seen a thing from WH.
and doubts that he will. I'd go elswhere but he is the only one around......
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:17 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Gilbert View Post
Good news indeed.

Sounds like they want to set the schedule. Read below.

Bosch has recently begun production of the redesigned caliper assemblies for the final remedy.
Once a sufficient number of the redesigned caliper assemblies have become available to support the final remedy process, a notice will be sent out to the owners of the affected Workhorse chassis asking them to schedule their vehicle for the final safety recall remedy procedure.
The way I read it is bosch has just found out the cause and is "just" starting to build them.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaball View Post
Mine is "OPEN" as well. Now we can only hope the dealers are notified sometime in the near future. As of this morning my local dealer chuckled when I told him of the notice and said he hasn't seen a thing from WH.
and doubts that he will. I'd go elswhere but he is the only one around......
my dealer hasnt been contacted as of today!!!!!!!!!!!!!lalalalalala
anotherone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:44 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My understanding is that the problem is well understood and that Bosch has developed a coating for the phonic pistons which greatly reduces water absorption. I believe the new process is in production so I view the new announcement as an indication that the wait is nearly over.

DriVer, what is your take?

JoeG

UltraPower ECM Program
Joe Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:00 PM   #8

Once all these brake issues are solved/fixed there is not going to be anything to talk about in this section of the forum.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:00 PM   #9

My brand new W-22 (Jan.'10 build) is also included, so it looks like they are doing them all.
RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My local Workhorse shop stopped doing interim repairs last week and told me the recall starts today. I don't understand why so many Workhorse shops seem to always be out of the loop?

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:12 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my workhorse site too.....
SideRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:27 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
On the Road Again, it will be like having a New Motor Home, when my MH brakes are fixed.

Johnnie
k1hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:04 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the reminder to check workhorse.com

But the FAQ still says:
Question:

Should I schedule an appointment to have the Bosch Brake Campaign 50901 performed?
Answer:

No. The parts are currently not available and the interim notice letter that you received was to notify customers that a brake campaign is forthcoming
Old 09-01-2010, 01:37 PM   #14

Anyone know why this campaign is 51101-C, and not the original 50901-C?
RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote