Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2007, 02:33 PM   #29

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Hamie, has both front and rear trac bars. He also has Steer Safe.

I jsut had my rig out to have it inspected before a trip to north Texas for a Easter rally. I can say that the rig is almost perfect with the addition to of the front trac bar. My setup is the same a Hamies and I do not plan to swap out the Bilsteins for Knoi's. Agreed the ride is firm but I have almost 0 wheel movement now.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2007, 03:59 PM   #30

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had the same fear that Hamie has if I change my Bills for the Koni, on a W-20
chassis. My oem shocks were such a POS, as I left out of my driveway the MH
would rock violently left and right. Even after I had installed front air bags.
But with JUST the front Bills it came off the curb like a rock!!!!!

I just got back from a 2K miles trip from Fl. and if the 30 or so mile on I-95
in N.C.was that rough all the way to Daytona I would HAVE to have the KONI!!!
But 90% of 95was so smooth that I had a hard time keeping the MH at 70-75 and
four times I looked down and was doing 80MPH. Smooth like silk!!!!!!!

So I am thinking with a 5yr old MH, with 32k miles on it I will live with the
tar strips, in the tar heel state.

But my next MH will get the KONI, like was on my 65, GT-350.
Oh if you think the Bills have a HARSH ride on a MH, you should try them on a
Ram truck. But KONI does not show a applacation for the truck. TENN
Old 03-20-2007, 05:37 PM   #31

Hamie - When I first put the Konis on my W22 I noticed something similar to what you have described. I had Bills previous to the Konis. With the Konis I noticed a very slight hunting in the front end that required very small inputs to correct. The best way I can describe it is the feeling you get right after a front end alignment, like it is setting on the fence and doesn't quite know which way to fall off. It tracks straight down the road but has that almost impreceptable notion to hunt a little. The feeling went away in the first 500 miles or so and I don't notice it any more. So I don't know if it was me, the motorhome, or a little of both. Its just like the new front end alignment feeling of trying to fall off the fence, it goes away after 500 to 1000 miles and you don't notice it any more. I don't know if that is what you are feeling but mine went away and I don't have to make those very small corrections any more.

2006 Gulfstream Ultra LE 6316
ghamblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:45 PM   #32

Texas Boomers Club
It's probably just me, I am sure that most people would say that my motorhome rides/drives great...but with both track bars, steersafe and bilsteins it was dead on except for jolts over expansion joints, sharp bumps, etc.. The Koni's took care of the expansion joints, sharp bumps, etc. but then I felt it was not dead on anymore and it bugs me every time I take it out. So Thursday I will put the Bilsteins back on just for piece of mind. If feel that it was all me then I can always put the Koni's back for that softer ride.

'04 Itasca Suncruiser 38G, W22 Upgrade Kit, Henderson Trac Bar, Davis TruTrac, Steer Safe
Hamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:28 AM   #33

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just got back from a 1800 mile trip to Florida and back. It was the maiden voyage for the Koni FSD's that I installed back in November. All I could say is WOW....HUGE DIFFERENCE. Ride is at least 90% quieter and the expansion joints on I95 in South Carolina don't loosen my fillings anymore!!!!
Jonny
jonny33v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:58 AM   #34

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Recently joined site. I have a 2003 W-22 chassis ('05 coach) with 19.5 tires on a 30' MH. Light coach for strong chassis. As soon a I got it, I got the upgrade for the 2.5 stabilizer bar and Bilsein shocks. Handles well but with only 17.5K fully loaded on 22Kgvw chassis makes a little stiff in some of the expansion joints. Have considered replacing W-22 springs with W-20 springs but as a result of reading this thread, I am now considering Koni FSDs Question is to DriVer Your thought?
Old 03-28-2007, 01:43 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by scoutmstr:
Question is to DriVer Your thought? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I would not recommend you consider changing your springs that's for sure. Your interest in the FSD shock absorber should be more along the lines of being a real workable solution for you and I believe that so equipped your ride will improve considerably.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:29 PM   #36

After reading about your experiences with the Koni FSD, I know now how to begin to eliminate the crappy, pounding ride and nasty driveway sway on my dead stock 2002 Southwind 32V and it's 12,000 mile W22 chassis. Now I have some questions.

I want to begin to pick away at the other chassis "fixes" one by one after I install the shocks. My Fleetwood dealer (www.nielsrv.com) made some recommendations today when I dropped my rig off for a little service (they are not an authorized Workhorse chassis shop). Bilsteins, rear sway bar and front track bar they said. Of course I said KONI'S! not Bilsteins. Now for the funny part......they didn't even know what Koni's were!

Can some of you recommend a short list of said "fixes", beginning with what I should do next after the shocks? I would also appreciate any information you have on the best prices/places to buy so I can be sure to get a reasonable deal.

Last question - the square tubes bolted to the leaf springs front and rear (the stabilizer bars??). Does anybody remove these upon installation of sway bars? I understand chassis geometry and suspension fairly well but for the life of me I can't understand how these can be very effective or do much. I know how sway bars and track bars work.

Thanks in advance.
Jimco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:42 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimco:
Last question - the square tubes bolted to the leaf springs front and rear (the stabilizer bars??). Does anybody remove these upon installation of sway bars?. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Jimco, Thanks for joining us here in the Workhorse Forum on iRV2.com. You are going to want to leave the stabilizer bars in place because they are a component of the Stabil-Ride suspension and you should no more consider removing those than you would the drag link.

The stabilizer bars work on force and counter force and they are effective in controlling a good amount of roll tendency. On your 2002 unit the front stabilizer is only a 2" square unit. 2004 and above saw the introduction of the 2.5" stabilizer on the front springs and this has worked much better than the 2" unit. It goes without saying that up-fitting to a 2.5" bar will definitely help you.

I would recommend that you install a rear track bar if anything as the first upgrade after your FSD shocks. You will find the handling and performance improvement with both the FSD and rear track bar in place to be quite remarkable.

Shop around for pricing. I would like to suggest you try one of our sponsors, Brazel's RV Performance out of Centralia, WA. They feature a full line of UltraTrack products plus they are more than willing to assist you over the phone in helping you choose the best products for your RV.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:44 PM   #38

Workhorse Chassis Owner
JIMCO,

You might try Benchmrk RV repair in Sun Valley, They have done some great and honest work for me.

I would start with a rear track bar first (after the Koni's) then go for the front track bar, If more is needed I went with a Blue OX Tru-Center because it is adjustable from the dash on the fly.

When I had the front and rear bars put on mine they left the square stock bar in place and said if it bothered me by creaking it could always be removed. That was in 2003 and all parts are still intact. Can't give you any current prices since it's been 4 years since I had mine done.

2003 35-E Bounder W-22
rvjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:09 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rvjer:
When I had the front and rear bars put on mine they left the square stock bar in place and said if it bothered me by creaking it could always be removed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I would not recommend that the stabilizer bars be removed. They are a component of the suspension and as such need to be left in place.

If you're in California look for Redlands Truck Service in Redlands, CA. Again an iRV2.com sponsor and recent participant at the Workhorse Chassis Motorhome Club rally in Hemet, CA. You can't find a much better outfit. Just ask for Keith. While in Hemet I understand that Redlands changed quite a few shocks over to FSD.

Remember our sponsors help iRV2.com remain open and free on a 24/7 basis. Please consider shopping with them if its convenient for you to do so.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:59 AM   #40

Thanks a bunch. What brand of track bar(s) should I be looking for?
Jimco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 07:02 AM   #41
Official iRV2 Sponsor

ULTRATRAC Baby!!!! The redest trac bars n the planet
Old 04-14-2007, 07:45 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brazels RV Performance:
ULTRATRAC Baby!!!! The redest trac bars n the planet </div></BLOCKQUOTE>There you GO!