Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2006, 06:30 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Early on I wrote about my and your concerns about issues that affected us all in common on the early models W-Series chassis however over time we have been able to apply working solutions that improved our ownership experience. During that time I installed 4 Monroe Magnum RV shocks and they worked remarkably well.

Since then at some 36,000 miles we have found that the Monroes were starting to go away and that the ride was beginning to degrade. Perhaps my expectations for ride handling and comfort changed having experienced new vehicle ride and drives. Consequently I am now expecting more performance from the shock absorbers. that I have on my motorhome.

Bilstein shock absorbers are the standard shock on all new and recent W-Series chassis and they are a very effective system in providing a new level of ride comfort and control. In aftermarket Bilsteins have also been very successful since we constantly see these on the shelves at establishments like Camping World and other fine retailers.

Considering that Bilstein technology has been in place for quite some time and that the price point of the shocks was close to $100.00 each, I decided to explore the next level in shock absorber technology that I have been hearing so much about, dynamically adjustable absorbers from Koni.

The previous generation of Koni shocks were manually adjustable and could be dialed in and fitted to the needs of most any motorhomes currently in production. What I saw were retail prices hovering near $200.00 a piece for Konis so it's no wonder that I and many other folks were a bit gun shy.

Having a need on the other hand often interferes with the cost barrier especially when there's the promise of a brand new technology level that is affordable and leading edge.

Koni FSD Right Front Shock Absorber

Researching some of the new technology out there for Workhorse chassis we all have been introduced to the Stabil-Air suspension. One of the components of that kit are Koni FSD shocks. Now short of having an entire Stabil-Air kit installed it struck me that a component of the kit might be the solution I was looking for.

Begging Santa for some new shocks it took a while but he delivered.

Right after the holidays, UPS showed up at our house with a package containing the Koni FSD shocks absorbers that I had ordered. Since these were my Christmas present I opened up the box with all the enthusiasm as if they were under the tree. Inside I found 3 more red boxes with Koni logos and pictures of shock absorbers. Checking out the new shocks I observed they were pretty hefty and impressive to look at with a made in Holland stamp on the casing. Absent was the rubber band retainer used by some manufacturers to compress the shock for installation.

The rears came in individual boxes and the fronts came together in a single box. The shocks are painted gold and if nothing else the color alone exudes a feeling of something special. The rear shocks came with a nut and stud cap for the bottom of the shock so once installed it would make for a clean look.

When we departed for Florida earlier in January I brought the shocks with us. I had originally wanted to install the shocks myself but I knew that within a couple of days that I would be at Turning Wheel RV and I could have them install the shocks. Once up on the lift I said bye to our Monroe RV Magnums as in succession they came off the motorhome. While removing the Monroes, Tony found that the left upper rear bolt was found to be loose. He showed me the bolt floating in the eye of the shock; it had about a ½ inch of play in it. The good news was that the top of the shock wasn't really going anywhere loose bolt or not but this is the reason why these things need to be torqued. Tony did a good job in installing the new shocks since he does these types of things all the time and he told me that going forward this isn't going to be any type of an issue to worry about.

Pair of "Gold" rear Koni FSD Shock Absorbers. Note the bottom nut covers - a nice touch

What the people at Koni continuously hear from customers and what I have personally found out is that it doesn't even take a mile to feel the difference. I felt a huge difference within the first 100 feet after I drove my motorhome off the lift and back to our campsite. The forward rolling motion alone of the coach gave me the impression that I was driving a Cadillac and not a close to 21,000 pound motorhome. Man what a grin factor! I would give it a 10 no doubt whatsoever. I couldn't wait to get out on the Interstate and up to speed.

When we departed Turning Wheel my mind was in overload having to pay attention to a number of upgraded features and paying close attention to the performance of each system. Taking to the road a new feeling of luxury - the Koni's were really doing a nice job in flattening out the road surface reducing the effect of expansion joints and delivering on the promise of new ride innovation.

Controlling porpoising isn't even on the radar screen anymore since the Monroe RV Magnums mitigated that issue however the Koni FSD shocks add quality to the ride of the motorhome more than I could have ever expected from a shock absorber.

The technology in the new Koni FSD shocks is described in the following text.

Frequency Selective Damping

Koni has designed a new shock absorber for Class ˜A' motorhomes. (Workhorse was one of the first chassis that can be fitted with the new FSD shocks). According to product literature, these FSD shocks include a special valve that filters out annoying vibrations before they enter the coach.

The FSD shock absorber is the first shock that offers superior handling without compromising comfort. You can't find a better shock for your motorhome than FSD: KONI Frequency Selective Dampers. We have combined the benefits of performance and comfort into one shock absorber. FSD is firm for control over large bumps and corners, but soft for comfort over expansion joints and rough roads. While KONI is known to reduce bouncing in motorhomes, our FSD shocks include a special valve that filters out annoying vibrations before they enter the coach. The result is an incredibly smooth ride, with plenty of shock left to control pitching and swaying.

See the stamp on the casing? "Made By Koni - Holland!"

While most shock absorbers are velocity sensitive, these shocks are frequency sensitive. The FSD valve is open during high frequency inputs like expansion joints and rough roads to ensure a smooth ride. Once you start to roll and pitch over low frequency inputs such as overpasses and large bumps, the FSD valve closes and makes a linear increase in damping forces until your RV settles down.

Put simply: the FSD feature is a hydraulic amplifier that delays the build up of pressure. One could say that an extra tuning option has been created in order to get the best possible combination of handling and comfort. Since it is an integrated part of the hydraulic valve system inside the damper, no additional cables, sensors or any other electronic devices are needed to operate an FSD damper.

FSD is the simplest and most economic way to significantly improve the ride and driving characteristics of every RV. Certainly in comparison with costly systems which work on the basis of computer technology, complex electronics and sensors.

FSD has a suggested retail price that starts at $170 each. Check the Koni website to see if they have FSD for your application today.

Warranty on KONI RV Shocks

KONI Inc. warrants all new KONI shock absorbers to the original retail purchaser on the original vehicle against defects in material and workmanship, excluding mounting rubbers, washers and bushings, when used under normal operating conditions for as long as you own the vehicle. This warranty does not apply to, and KONI makes no warranty for, shock absorbers that have been installed:

"¢ Improperly
"¢ As original equipment on any vehicle.
"¢ On any vehicle that has been modified for a use other than or in addition to its originally intended use;
"¢ For an application that is not specified in the KONI literature;
"¢ On any vehicle that has been used off-road, for racing or for any other driving competition.

KONI is a leading supplier to automotive OEMs and the after market. Part of ITT Industries, it develops, manufactures and sells high quality, high performance shock absorbers for all kinds of private and commercial vehicles, including buses, trucks, trailers, railway rolling stock and racing cars.

For more information, contact;
Koni RV
1961A International Way
Hebron, KY 41075
(866) 566 4175
Koni RV.com

Obtaining these shocks directly from the Koni RV, they can be purchased for $150.00 each for both fronts and rears.

Part number 88051001 is for the front shocks and part number 88051003 is for the rear shocks. These part numbers apply only to 2001 to 2003 W-Series chassis. There are shocks available for 2004 to current build as well. Check the Koni website for part numbers.

Erasmus Bridge in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, has no problem anymore with strong side winds, thanks to special KONI Shock Absorbers
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2006, 06:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Early on I wrote about my and your concerns about issues that affected us all in common on the early models W-Series chassis however over time we have been able to apply working solutions that improved our ownership experience. During that time I installed 4 Monroe Magnum RV shocks and they worked remarkably well.

Since then at some 36,000 miles we have found that the Monroes were starting to go away and that the ride was beginning to degrade. Perhaps my expectations for ride handling and comfort changed having experienced new vehicle ride and drives. Consequently I am now expecting more performance from the shock absorbers. that I have on my motorhome.

Bilstein shock absorbers are the standard shock on all new and recent W-Series chassis and they are a very effective system in providing a new level of ride comfort and control. In aftermarket Bilsteins have also been very successful since we constantly see these on the shelves at establishments like Camping World and other fine retailers.

Considering that Bilstein technology has been in place for quite some time and that the price point of the shocks was close to $100.00 each, I decided to explore the next level in shock absorber technology that I have been hearing so much about, dynamically adjustable absorbers from Koni.

The previous generation of Koni shocks were manually adjustable and could be dialed in and fitted to the needs of most any motorhomes currently in production. What I saw were retail prices hovering near $200.00 a piece for Konis so it's no wonder that I and many other folks were a bit gun shy.

Having a need on the other hand often interferes with the cost barrier especially when there's the promise of a brand new technology level that is affordable and leading edge.

Koni FSD Right Front Shock Absorber

Researching some of the new technology out there for Workhorse chassis we all have been introduced to the Stabil-Air suspension. One of the components of that kit are Koni FSD shocks. Now short of having an entire Stabil-Air kit installed it struck me that a component of the kit might be the solution I was looking for.

Begging Santa for some new shocks it took a while but he delivered.

Right after the holidays, UPS showed up at our house with a package containing the Koni FSD shocks absorbers that I had ordered. Since these were my Christmas present I opened up the box with all the enthusiasm as if they were under the tree. Inside I found 3 more red boxes with Koni logos and pictures of shock absorbers. Checking out the new shocks I observed they were pretty hefty and impressive to look at with a made in Holland stamp on the casing. Absent was the rubber band retainer used by some manufacturers to compress the shock for installation.

The rears came in individual boxes and the fronts came together in a single box. The shocks are painted gold and if nothing else the color alone exudes a feeling of something special. The rear shocks came with a nut and stud cap for the bottom of the shock so once installed it would make for a clean look.

When we departed for Florida earlier in January I brought the shocks with us. I had originally wanted to install the shocks myself but I knew that within a couple of days that I would be at Turning Wheel RV and I could have them install the shocks. Once up on the lift I said bye to our Monroe RV Magnums as in succession they came off the motorhome. While removing the Monroes, Tony found that the left upper rear bolt was found to be loose. He showed me the bolt floating in the eye of the shock; it had about a ½ inch of play in it. The good news was that the top of the shock wasn't really going anywhere loose bolt or not but this is the reason why these things need to be torqued. Tony did a good job in installing the new shocks since he does these types of things all the time and he told me that going forward this isn't going to be any type of an issue to worry about.

Pair of "Gold" rear Koni FSD Shock Absorbers. Note the bottom nut covers - a nice touch

What the people at Koni continuously hear from customers and what I have personally found out is that it doesn't even take a mile to feel the difference. I felt a huge difference within the first 100 feet after I drove my motorhome off the lift and back to our campsite. The forward rolling motion alone of the coach gave me the impression that I was driving a Cadillac and not a close to 21,000 pound motorhome. Man what a grin factor! I would give it a 10 no doubt whatsoever. I couldn't wait to get out on the Interstate and up to speed.

When we departed Turning Wheel my mind was in overload having to pay attention to a number of upgraded features and paying close attention to the performance of each system. Taking to the road a new feeling of luxury - the Koni's were really doing a nice job in flattening out the road surface reducing the effect of expansion joints and delivering on the promise of new ride innovation.

Controlling porpoising isn't even on the radar screen anymore since the Monroe RV Magnums mitigated that issue however the Koni FSD shocks add quality to the ride of the motorhome more than I could have ever expected from a shock absorber.

The technology in the new Koni FSD shocks is described in the following text.

Frequency Selective Damping

Koni has designed a new shock absorber for Class ˜A' motorhomes. (Workhorse was one of the first chassis that can be fitted with the new FSD shocks). According to product literature, these FSD shocks include a special valve that filters out annoying vibrations before they enter the coach.

The FSD shock absorber is the first shock that offers superior handling without compromising comfort. You can't find a better shock for your motorhome than FSD: KONI Frequency Selective Dampers. We have combined the benefits of performance and comfort into one shock absorber. FSD is firm for control over large bumps and corners, but soft for comfort over expansion joints and rough roads. While KONI is known to reduce bouncing in motorhomes, our FSD shocks include a special valve that filters out annoying vibrations before they enter the coach. The result is an incredibly smooth ride, with plenty of shock left to control pitching and swaying.

See the stamp on the casing? "Made By Koni - Holland!"

While most shock absorbers are velocity sensitive, these shocks are frequency sensitive. The FSD valve is open during high frequency inputs like expansion joints and rough roads to ensure a smooth ride. Once you start to roll and pitch over low frequency inputs such as overpasses and large bumps, the FSD valve closes and makes a linear increase in damping forces until your RV settles down.

Put simply: the FSD feature is a hydraulic amplifier that delays the build up of pressure. One could say that an extra tuning option has been created in order to get the best possible combination of handling and comfort. Since it is an integrated part of the hydraulic valve system inside the damper, no additional cables, sensors or any other electronic devices are needed to operate an FSD damper.

FSD is the simplest and most economic way to significantly improve the ride and driving characteristics of every RV. Certainly in comparison with costly systems which work on the basis of computer technology, complex electronics and sensors.

FSD has a suggested retail price that starts at $170 each. Check the Koni website to see if they have FSD for your application today.

Warranty on KONI RV Shocks

KONI Inc. warrants all new KONI shock absorbers to the original retail purchaser on the original vehicle against defects in material and workmanship, excluding mounting rubbers, washers and bushings, when used under normal operating conditions for as long as you own the vehicle. This warranty does not apply to, and KONI makes no warranty for, shock absorbers that have been installed:

"¢ Improperly
"¢ As original equipment on any vehicle.
"¢ On any vehicle that has been modified for a use other than or in addition to its originally intended use;
"¢ For an application that is not specified in the KONI literature;
"¢ On any vehicle that has been used off-road, for racing or for any other driving competition.

KONI is a leading supplier to automotive OEMs and the after market. Part of ITT Industries, it develops, manufactures and sells high quality, high performance shock absorbers for all kinds of private and commercial vehicles, including buses, trucks, trailers, railway rolling stock and racing cars.

For more information, contact;
Koni RV
1961A International Way
Hebron, KY 41075
(866) 566 4175
Koni RV.com

Obtaining these shocks directly from the Koni RV, they can be purchased for $150.00 each for both fronts and rears.

Part number 88051001 is for the front shocks and part number 88051003 is for the rear shocks. These part numbers apply only to 2001 to 2003 W-Series chassis. There are shocks available for 2004 to current build as well. Check the Koni website for part numbers.

Erasmus Bridge in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, has no problem anymore with strong side winds, thanks to special KONI Shock Absorbers
Old 01-22-2006, 11:56 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
DriVer,

Almost a year ago I upgraded to Koni shocks (not the FSDs), instead of taking the Monroe's (front end only) that were offered by Workhorse.

I have never regretted the switch. I was thrilled with the improvement. At the risk of starting a flame war with the DP guys, I thought they approached the comfort of air on a DP.

I drove a Bilisten equiped W-22. It is my opinion that Koni provides a much better ride.

I'm pleased to hear that you like yours.

Bill

Workhorse W22
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 04:41 PM   #4

I just had 4 - Koni FSD's installed today in Quartzsite by Brazels Performance along with a Safe'T Steer and the Ultraperformance Kit#1 module programming. Have only driven about 2 miles but leaving for Orange County tomorrow so will see how things go. Looking forward to the "new ride" and performance/mileage.

'05 GMC Canyon Crew Cab 4WD, Aluminator, Brake Buddy
Jim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 11:13 AM   #5

I had Koni FSD shocks installed last November at Erics in S equim, WA and I agree with all the benefits you mentioned . Great shocks!
RV Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 06:30 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
RV Ron welcome to irv2
Thanks for your input you guys keep posting about the Koni's and I will have to check them out when my shocks wear out,beats buying a new MH. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 06:12 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers

Posted photos in the original post.

Sorry it took so long.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:56 AM   #8

Driver

I'm scheduled to change out my Monroe Magnums to the Koni FSD shocks next week. I only have 12,000 miles on the Monroes now. I'm hoping to improve the ride a little bit, but I'm wondering if I'm going to compromise anything in handleing. I'm very happy with my handleing at this point and I don't want to lose anything in that regard. What is your feeling on this considering the Monroes are still functioning as if they're new?

As you may recall I already have the Davis Tru trac, Henderson rear trac bar and the Saf-T-Plus.
I'm planning on adding the Workhorse 2 1/2 inch bar at the same time I put on the Koni's.

Thanks for all your help

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 05:20 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jack Foster:
I'm scheduled to change out my Monroe Magnums to the Koni FSD shocks next week. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Jack, The performance upgrade that you are giving yourself will in my opinion takes you to the next level in shock absorber technology. The FSD is bar none the best shock absorber on the market for the Workhorse Chassis.

You can read all about the technology on Koni's website but suffice it to say that Koni's make the RV Monroe Magnums appear weak and ineffective. After running my 4 position RV Magnums for about the same mileage you did I felt that the shocks were starting to go away.

You certainly will enjoy the upscale ride performance of the Koni and you will be yielding nothing.

The standard shock absorber that is installed on the Workhorse Stabil-Air after market suspension kit is ... "The Koni FSD" why, because it works!

Enjoy your new toys and let us know how it all worked out, I'm sure you will.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:05 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm scheduled to change out my Monroe Magnums to the Koni FSD shocks next week. I only have 12,000 miles on the Monroes now </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
JACK: If I pay the freight, can I have your take offs ? ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 08:04 AM   #11

Ed

At this point, I want to keep the old ones on the outside chance that I may choose to put them back on. I probably won't want to, but I don't want to make that committment now. If I do decide to keep the Koni's I would be willing to part with the Monroe's for a "fair" price. That will help offset the cost of the Koni's.

Jack

Old 03-31-2006, 09:56 AM   #12

JACK: Okey-Doekey, I understand. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 02:28 AM   #13

Two weeks ago I had the Koni FSD shocks and the Workhorse 2 1/2" bar added to my 2004 Newmar Mountain Aire W22. I've only put about 100 miles on it so far, but I thought I would still share my impressions.
I should also mention that I already have the Henderson Trac Bar, Davis Tru Trac and the Saf-T-Plus installed. I was changeing from the Monroe Magnum shocks with about 12,000 miles to the Koni's.
At first, I didn't notice any difference in the Koni's. On sharp bumps / holes like a pot hole, they weren't any better than the monroes. On smoother bumps (like a bridge deck) there is a noticeable improvement on "softening" the bump. They also do a great job of softening expansion joints and smoother changes in the road surface. As far as cornering and handleing, I don't feel there's any difference between the Koni's and the Monroe Magnums. The big improvement is in the ride. The differences are very subtle. Part of this may be because I only had 12,000 miles on the Monroes. In summary, I would definitely recommend the Koni's, but I wouldn't change out Monroe Magnums until they are pretty well worn out. If you don't have the Magnums now, I would suggest going directly to the Konis.

I did notice a difference as a result of the larger sway bar. There is definitely a lot less rocking back and forth on entering driveways like gas stations. I would have preferred adding the front and rear IPD bars as I've heard they are the ultimate solution. Unfortunately, the Mountain Aire is a very heavy gas coach and the IPDs would add an additional 200 lbs to my weight. I didn't want to add that much to my already stretched NCC. The Workhorse 2 1/2" bar probably added less than 10 lbs.

Over all, I'm very happy with the additions I've made to the suspension. Short of adding the Stabil Air system, I think I've got the handleing and ride as good as it's possible to get. I deliver MCI and VanHool tour buses from the factories and I can honestly say that my Mountain Aire now rides and handles about 95% as well as these 45 foot buses. I want to say a special thanks to Driver for his detailed reports on the components he's added. They were a big part of my decision on what to add to my rig.

Jack

Old 03-17-2007, 02:57 PM   #14

Well, it's done 4 Konis. 100% change in porpoising. Worth every penny