Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2020, 09:25 PM   #15

If you don't have front and rear track bars, do that BEFORE you do anything else. The rear will help more than anything, but the W22 desperately needs track bars. It fixes the issue rather than masking it. To me, its the difference of never going over 65 mph, to being comfortable at 75 mph or more, driving in the middle lane between two semi's.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2020, 09:45 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rear trac bar made a huge improvement in my w24. No more tail wag.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceh View Post
A safety plus won't do anything for the ride, you really do need shocks. The install isn't difficult if you are at all handy.

I also drive that part of 99 all the time and the road is awful. I have Konis and all of the other stuff and the ride is still bad.

All of the alignment advice is right on.

I have also had good luck with Bud Eberwein for the stuff that I can't handle.
The OP talked about his rig needing many steering corrections. A steering stabilizer solved that problem for me, and trac bars greatly improved the tail-wagging-the-dog issue. I would go with those two add-ons before anything else.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:35 PM   #18

Thinking of Adding Safe-T-Plus to 04 W22

I had the Safe-T-Plus added to my 2004 Winnebago Workhorse W22 by the Winnebago factory in Forest City, Iowa, in June, 2020......

Markedly improved tracking down the road......still a little bit of moving the steering wheel, however, much better than before.....
Regards,

Phil Batton
3825 N. 155th Drive
Goodyear, AZ 85395
Cell = 602-762-8879
philbatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:03 PM   #19

2002 w22. First thing I did was new koni shocks, ride was much better but still wandered. In October 2020 I had an alignment done, some improvement in wandering, but not much. Installed safe t plus in early November. Major improvement in wandering, but still suffered some tail wag and oversteer. Bought track bars for front and rear, will install before first trip this spring. Based on what I have read in this forum I should see some more imrovement in handling. After that, I have to assess the handling and think about adding new sway bars or go with sumo springs. Would like to do some long distance traveling and need to make driving as comfortable as possible, not as young as I used to be.
Trafficman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafficman View Post
2002 w22. First thing I did was new koni shocks, ride was much better but still wandered. In October 2020 I had an alignment done, some improvement in wandering, but not much. Installed safe t plus in early November. Major improvement in wandering, but still suffered some tail wag and oversteer. Bought track bars for front and rear, will install before first trip this spring. Based on what I have read in this forum I should see some more imrovement in handling. After that, I have to assess the handling and think about adding new sway bars or go with sumo springs. Would like to do some long distance traveling and need to make driving as comfortable as possible, not as young as I used to be.
Trac bars should take care of the tail wag.

Sumo Springs helped a bit with the roll and imho gave the coach more of a secure feeling. They also improved the problem of the suspension crashing on bridge transitions etc. A couple of us have used P32 instead of W22 Sumos on the rear as they save a lot of money with no apparent down side so far. Do this at your own risk, however, as I doubt this is something the Sumo Springs people would condone. We did use W22 Sumos on the front.

My opinion is that I'd do the sway bars last-- and then only if you feel you still need them-- just because they're expensive and I didn't feel the improvement justified the cost. Then again, I only have a rear sway bar. Maybe I'd have seen more of an improvement if I had done both.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:51 PM   #21

The improved tracking with the SafeTPlus is and added benefit.
The primary purpose of the STP is to help keep the wheels centered if you have a blowout.

Tags
w22