Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2018, 04:54 PM   #1

Thorley headers on 98 p-30

I'm wanting to replace my leaking manifolds on my 7.4 with headers and was looking at Doug Thorley tri-y headers. I have the L-29 454 with the hot air tube on the driver's manifold and a rep from Thorley told me that what I have is not the norm so their headers will not work as they have no fitting for the air tube. I'm not looking to bypass the EGR so unless I'm missing something or someone has had good luck with another brand I may have to sell a kidney and put a Banks Power Pack on. My plan was to do a DYI cold air intake with the Thorley's as some I have looked at should work good, just not sure if I want to go budget on headers and then regret it 10-15 k down the road, would rather only do this once.
kawchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2018, 06:40 PM   #2

Years ago (1993) I had a gas powered coach. It was a Ford 460 cid that ran fairly well but that wasn't good enough. I added Gale Banks headers and exhaust system and his cold air intake. Coming home from the sand dunes I could pull Whitewater grade along I-10 just west of Palm Springs at 45 MPH pulling my enclosed 20' dune buggy trailer which was loaded with a buggy, Quad, tools, spare parts etc etc. After adding the Banks system I pulled the hill at 54 MPH. I thought that was pretty impressive. His headers are manufactured to perfection so much so you don't need a gasket. If I remember right, the flanges were VERY thick probably close to 7/16" thick.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:53 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
Headers with Air Tubes are Rare. Continue your search- look at Hookers and go to Jegs.com . I will add this though Headers will not last 15 yrs under any circumstances. Be prepared to add a little timing to your engine.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:00 PM   #4

I feel that the Banks power pack is probably the best exhaust/intake upgrade out there, but kinda pricey, many have commented that it will take a lot of miles to recover the cost. I've got so much invested in this p-30 now that I don't know if I'll be able to recover much of the money spent to fix this thing up, but caving in to my OCD to make everything as right as I can is getting expensive. These things are way more expensive than building motorcycles! Just wondering if anyone has had good luck with a less expensive set of headers that would work on this coach.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:28 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Here's a couple of threads on Thorley header and ERG issues from last year. I suggest sending private message to the guys that worked out this issue.

Have you searched the WH forum for "headers" ? It will take some time to review 212 postings, but since your talking about 1996 the old postings may have info you need.

I put Thorley headers on my 1973 F250 when I completely rebuilt that 390 engine. Then later Banks on my 1999 V10, and 3 yrs ago Banks on my current 8.1L.

Good luck,
Bill

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/thorl...on-328555.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/banks...er-329137.html
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:44 AM   #6

That tube only helps with putting a little heat into the air cleaner to help atomize cold fuel......you could always add a short pipe to the header and use the flexable hose that was used....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:34 AM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
Hmmm... might want to peruse Summit Racing and see what they may have..
Had the same issues with a '99 454.. put stock headers back on it and then sold the coach...had had enough of all the chassis, frame & drive train issues.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
That tube only helps with putting a little heat into the air cleaner to help atomize cold fuel......you could always add a short pipe to the header and use the flexable hose that was used....
I thought it was the supply tube for the EGR, it ties in where the EGR is mounted on the intake manifold. If that's the case, I'll block it off as I've already upgraded the injectors from the crappy Multecs to a set of ford motorsport Bosch injectors. That would open up the option of using the Thorley headers.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:07 AM   #9

Any decent exhaust shop should be able to weld on an EGR tube. Thorleys use a heavier gauge steel than Banks, so they will be quieter going down the road. Tri-Y has a broader power band than single straight long tube headers. On that old of an engine, you will probably need to swap out your mufflers to take advantage of the better flow. Magnaflows work best, as they are straight through tubes. Get the longest muffler they sell, and it will still be pretty quiet. With the original 454 in the Revcon, I didn't notice much power increase till I swapped out the mufflers. It had Flowmasters on it. Made a HUGE difference when I switched to Magnaflows.

Tags
thor