Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2014, 09:47 AM   #1

Time for Brakes on my W22 Chassis. Advice Needed

I have a 2004 Damon Intruder, W22, 38ft, 24K miles, nice coach. I've had it for about 9 months and I love it.

Last month, I had a problem getting air into the tires, so i went to a truck tire place and had them remove all the wheels and replace the valve stem with metal ones that I could actually reach.

While the front wheels were off, I noticed some worn front brake pads and front rotors that look a bit stressed. There were no big cracks through the rotors, but there were tiny little crack and stress marks all over the place. I don't think that is necessarily bad. I'll get them turned.

But, since I will have the thing apart... is there a particular brake pad and/or rotor that works best? I want to get the best stuff for the RV and not the stuff that they want to sell me.

How much should I pay for a front brake job?

Any advice is appreciated.

Maurice
mauricedorri is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm at about 70,000 miles and had the Workhorse dealer here check my brakes out. The pads had been replaced when the Bosch recall was done so they are good.

My rotors have hairline cracks and he said that was fine and normal. They do mostly truck repairs and are pretty knowledgeable so if you just have small hairline cracks I wouldn't worry.

My replacement pads were Workhorse parts. I like OEM parts.

I don't know what a complete brake job should cost.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:56 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Has the recall ever been completed ?
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauricedorri View Post
I have a 2004 Damon Intruder, W22, 38ft, 24K miles, nice coach. I've had it for about 9 months and I love it.

Last month, I had a problem getting air into the tires, so i went to a truck tire place and had them remove all the wheels and replace the valve stem with metal ones that I could actually reach.

While the front wheels were off, I noticed some worn front brake pads and front rotors that look a bit stressed. There were no big cracks through the rotors, but there were tiny little crack and stress marks all over the place. I don't think that is necessarily bad. I'll get them turned.

But, since I will have the thing apart... is there a particular brake pad and/or rotor that works best? I want to get the best stuff for the RV and not the stuff that they want to sell me.

How much should I pay for a front brake job?

Any advice is appreciated.

Maurice
Your first step should be to VERIFY that the Bosch brake recall was completed. If not, then get that done, and have the ASC replace the worn pads while WCC / Navistar is already paying the labor to replace the calipers. OEM quality pads "shouldn't" need replacing at 24K miles unless the PO was riding the brakes.....a lot.

If the recall has not been done, I would call Keith at Redlands Truck service, it is only a short trip out there from LA.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:18 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If I were replacing brakes Id be putting on the bigger 70mm calipers up front.

I wonder how you can bill for a recall with a company that is no longer in business?
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:43 AM   #6
paz

Wow! Worn brakes in 24k miles? Something isn't right. I agree with checking on the recall.

Our W24 has different brakes; but at 75k miles, our brake pads look almost like new.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post

I wonder how you can bill for a recall with a company that is no longer in business?
It is my understanding that Navistar, the owner of WCC when the recall was issued, remains on the hook forever, and is required to complete the NHTSA recall on ALL chassis covered by the recall. I think the only way Navistar can escape responsibility is to declare bankruptcy.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post

Do you have the 73mm calipers? Is it worth the $1000 that it would cost me? If so, then I would certainly do it.

last month, I went up to the mountains and easily navigated my way up and down a 9 mile, 10% grade that is mostly two lane with an occasional single lane section. Granted, I use transmission/engine braking and was very, very patient going down. I didn't come close to boiling the brakes or needed extra stopping power.

With that in mind, are the larger calipers nice, but not necessary for a coach my size?
Old 08-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I once owned a workhorse chassis Geo"town. two sets of rotors were replaced as well as the caliper assy's. On another vehicle I had two front
calipers (left side) melt down. the calipers looked the same as what the G'town had. It turned out to be a defective BRAKE HOSE that collasped and kept the pistons from returning normally. Since I am out of the R/Ving scene,I don't get here as often as a year ago.
SAFE TRAVELS...
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:50 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I went in a year ago with 37,000 mi. on mine to have the recall done. I walked out $2,200 poorer. They replaced all rotors,pads,hoses, and of course the "free" calipers. I have a whole new brake system though! I would have the truck repair place check the rotors and give you a report, so when you go to the workhorse dealer, you will have an un-biased opinion on the other components in the system. Mine did look fairly bad, so I didn't argue about the rotors. I have seen the actual workhorse rotors on ebay at a fair price if you need them.
gunnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut View Post
I went in a year ago with 37,000 mi. on mine to have the recall done. I walked out $2,200 poorer. They replaced all rotors,pads,hoses, and of course the "free" calipers. I have a whole new brake system though! I would have the truck repair place check the rotors and give you a report, so when you go to the workhorse dealer, you will have an un-biased opinion on the other components in the system. Mine did look fairly bad, so I didn't argue about the rotors. I have seen the actual workhorse rotors on ebay at a fair price if you need them.
Now you are scaring me...
Old 08-15-2014, 10:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauricedorri View Post
Now you are scaring me...
FWIW, during the early part of the Bosch Brake recall, WCC had a "select dealer" program which provided a complete brake component replacement for NMT $1,500.00 total. This was only available while WCC was already paying for the wheel removal, jacking, etc. as part of the caliper replacement. Many owners took advantage of this offer because, as the previous poster said, all these parts (and labor) can get expensive when replaced outside of the recall.

Personally, I think a lot of rotors & pads got replaced unnecessarily, but that's just me - a known cheapskate and firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Ed
Old 08-15-2014, 12:41 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Just got off the phone with Madison RV ( Huntsville, Alabama), Brakes, rotors (4), Hoses, calipers and repack front bearings,,, $2,133.48.. . They went to the floor a few weeks ago in Nashville, so I should'nt complain, it could have been alot more if i hit someone. (2000 alergo 30' 45,000 miles).
outthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by outthere View Post
Just got off the phone with Madison RV ( Huntsville, Alabama), Brakes, rotors (4), Hoses, calipers and repack front bearings,,, $2,133.48.. . They went to the floor a few weeks ago in Nashville, so I should'nt complain, it could have been alot more if i hit someone. (2000 alergo 30' 45,000 miles).
for which chassis?

Tags
advice, brake, brakes, chassis