Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2020, 10:26 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Too sway or not too sway

So i have a w24 workhorse i already have the safe t steering stablizer front and rear trac bars new shocks and added a leaf in the leaf packs.

Now my question is are front and rear sway bars worth the money?
robertkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2020, 10:44 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You should analyze your MH's handling before adding new suspension pieces. Sway bars help reduce side to side sway when cornering, encountering side winds and meeting or passing/being passed by large vehicles. If side to side sway of your MH is excessive stiffer sway bars can reduce the sway.

Nothing comes without a cost. Sway bars on an axle connect the left and right wheels together via a spring. A stiffer spring helps minimize sway. It also transfers energy that either wheel on the axle experiences to the other wheel. A bigger sway bar means more energy is transferred to the wheel that didn't experience the bump. This makes the vehicle ride stiffer. If you put on a big enough sway bar it can be really harsh.

So to answer your question. Do you have excessive sway? If so, can you tolerate a stiffer ride that transfers more bump energy into the motorhome? You decide the compromise.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:51 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I have the W24 also. I don't think you will get much improvement from the factory system.

The W24 is probably the best gasser chassis out there in stock form.

I have the "Safety Steer", and a rear track bar.

Safety Steer made a slight improvement, and rear track bar didn't really make any difference IMHO.

Biggest improvement you can make is set the caster to 6 degrees positive. It will be a 2 finger driver, even when trucks pass.

BTW, our rig is 38+ feet long, so near the max for a gasser.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:35 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
I have the W24 also. I don't think you will get much improvement from the factory system.

The W24 is probably the best gasser chassis out there in stock form.

I have the "Safety Steer", and a rear track bar.

Safety Steer made a slight improvement, and rear track bar didn't really make any difference IMHO.

Biggest improvement you can make is set the caster to 6 degrees positive. It will be a 2 finger driver, even when trucks pass.

BTW, our rig is 38+ feet long, so near the max for a gasser.
I know my rigs size and i know it is the best gasser chassie i make mods due to the trailer i pull custom hitch extra leaf springs the banks power system the heavy duty shocks the only thins not done are sway bars. When winnie added the extra leafs in the packs it was said each leaf increases capeabilty 1k
robertkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 03:23 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I found that went I sometimes turned my W22 RV from a highway on to a gas station entrance or a driveway it rocked side to side as if I was in a boat with waves coming at it from the side. This was at a slow speed and to me wasn't dangerous, just irritating. I didn't think the square Workhouse sway bars were very effective at reducing this but the question is whether it's worth trying to improve buy adding or changing sway bars. I can't say however how different the W22 chassis is when compared to the W24 chassis.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:12 PM   #6

I did front and rear trac bars first, and then a rear sway bar. The sway bar made an incremental improvement but I don't think it was worth $750-800, and that was with me doing the installation myself. Of course, the trac bars had already improved things greatly, and maybe I would have felt differently if I had done the sway bar first.

I felt the Sumo Springs were a better deal for me-- about $450 for all four-- but I used the P30/32 Sumo Springs in the rear and not the more expensive W-Series springs. I did use the W-series Sumos in the front though.

If money is no object though, do all of it! I also added a Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer and my W-22 is a joy to drive now.