Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2008, 02:18 PM   #1

Preface:
I have gotten use to the fact that on the start of a trip my ABS light is not on. I live close to interstates so all my driving usually starts out with the first 75-100 mile being almost brake free. When I have to exit I can count on the ABS light coming on after a few miles of stop and go traiffic. I pull over, take a temp reading (usually 150 rear and 220 front) then carry on to my destination. I have had the ABS scanned twice by 2 different shops with the tech saying the scanner returns no faults or codes even when the ABS light was on.

Saturday: Tranny issues
Departed yesterday(Pearl River, La. to Fairhope Al.)for a 140 mi(each way) trip towing Saturn Vue. All basically flat driving. After 20 miles of I-10 driving the tranny would act like it was downshifting but would only raise the
RPM's from 2200 to 2300 and only for a second or so. This may not reoccur for another 10 miles. Then happen again for no appearent reason. No hill or reason to downshift. I use the term "downshift" because that is the way it acts but it is not actually dowshifting. The whole way to my destination it was doing this on and off. It almost seemed like a bump in the road or bridge expantion joints would cause the action. As usual, my ABS light came on after exiting and stopping at a few lights. Campground was a few miles away so I carried on. Checked the brake temps again with normal results. Because of the road bumps causing the problem, I checked for loose wires from the tranny foward. Check fluid level. Found no problems.

Sunday: Return trip
Thought I would lighten the load so I had my daughter drive the Vue. Headed home. No ABS light. Tranny started its thing again right out of the gate. Figured while I was in a slower area I would try different gears in and out of OD. Did the same thing. Got in stop and go traffic for 15 miles and the ABS light came on. Jumped on I-10 expecting problems but much to my surprise the tranny ran perfect. After 100 or so miles had to stop for gas. When I started up to depart the gas station I noticed the ABS light was off. Got on I-10 and started having issues again. Notice that the problem occur when ABS light is off. No problems when ABS light is ON.

Maybe unrelated but let me tell you another problem. My RV's carport has a gravel approach. I must back into the carport. I drive foward past the carport put the shifter in reverse, press the gas peddle and BUMP the tranny slips and bangs more than once.

I'm seeking advice on what to do next or where I should go from here. Seems my options would be a mechanic with Workhorse knowledge i.e. Workhorse service center or a Allison shop.

Thanks for any input.

I think I'll go and have another beer now!
RottenRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2008, 02:18 PM   #2

Preface:
I have gotten use to the fact that on the start of a trip my ABS light is not on. I live close to interstates so all my driving usually starts out with the first 75-100 mile being almost brake free. When I have to exit I can count on the ABS light coming on after a few miles of stop and go traiffic. I pull over, take a temp reading (usually 150 rear and 220 front) then carry on to my destination. I have had the ABS scanned twice by 2 different shops with the tech saying the scanner returns no faults or codes even when the ABS light was on.

Saturday: Tranny issues
Departed yesterday(Pearl River, La. to Fairhope Al.)for a 140 mi(each way) trip towing Saturn Vue. All basically flat driving. After 20 miles of I-10 driving the tranny would act like it was downshifting but would only raise the
RPM's from 2200 to 2300 and only for a second or so. This may not reoccur for another 10 miles. Then happen again for no appearent reason. No hill or reason to downshift. I use the term "downshift" because that is the way it acts but it is not actually dowshifting. The whole way to my destination it was doing this on and off. It almost seemed like a bump in the road or bridge expantion joints would cause the action. As usual, my ABS light came on after exiting and stopping at a few lights. Campground was a few miles away so I carried on. Checked the brake temps again with normal results. Because of the road bumps causing the problem, I checked for loose wires from the tranny foward. Check fluid level. Found no problems.

Sunday: Return trip
Thought I would lighten the load so I had my daughter drive the Vue. Headed home. No ABS light. Tranny started its thing again right out of the gate. Figured while I was in a slower area I would try different gears in and out of OD. Did the same thing. Got in stop and go traffic for 15 miles and the ABS light came on. Jumped on I-10 expecting problems but much to my surprise the tranny ran perfect. After 100 or so miles had to stop for gas. When I started up to depart the gas station I noticed the ABS light was off. Got on I-10 and started having issues again. Notice that the problem occur when ABS light is off. No problems when ABS light is ON.

Maybe unrelated but let me tell you another problem. My RV's carport has a gravel approach. I must back into the carport. I drive foward past the carport put the shifter in reverse, press the gas peddle and BUMP the tranny slips and bangs more than once.

I'm seeking advice on what to do next or where I should go from here. Seems my options would be a mechanic with Workhorse knowledge i.e. Workhorse service center or a Allison shop.

Thanks for any input.

I think I'll go and have another beer now!
Old 04-22-2008, 06:45 AM   #3

Bump

Any clues before I bring it in to a shop?
Old 04-22-2008, 08:10 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Go directly to Allison. Do not pass Go! Do not collect $200.00.

A BIG Hello! to everyone from Camp Hatteras, NC. At the moment,
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:40 PM   #5
iRV2 Sponsor

Ralph,

In our shop, almost all "ABS light on" complaints result from excessive sensor clearence at each wheel. Our simple fix is to push each one in, you will hear a click and feel a noticable stop, leave it, as it will self clearence.

The transmission shifting issues can be software related (Allison has an update for the 03) or engine performance related, plug wires or fuel filter.

Thanks,
Redlands Truck and RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:43 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Ralph,

I agree with Keith as I just went though this.

I had a cluster failure, then lost all my lights (5 blown fuses) and then the ABS light came on. NONE of them were related.

The cluster failure is a software problem and is being worked by Actia... since 2004

There was a dead short in my toad harness. That I fixed and then built a tester for it.

The ABS was a simple 5 min fix per wheel. Pull the sensor out, clean, lube and re-install. I posted photo in this IRV2 Thread.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:54 PM   #7

i just ignore the abs lite. dont need abs anyway.
tom wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:41 AM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Ditto, I had the very same issue last year right in the middle of a trip. Only thing I noticed was if you pull over,(not always possible)shut the ket off and start up again it would go away. Everthing to me pointed to eltronics. I did go to a Work horse dealer for a scan test. They found no error codes. If it wasn't broke they could not fix it. Situation has not come back this year and we have taken numerous trips since. Still baffeled what it was. Pleas be sure to post your findings if you do.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:16 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tommywilson:
I just ignore the abs lite. dont need abs anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>tommywilson, I'm sure you know that if the ABS light is on the ABS system is disabled. Personally I would rather run with it than without given all the rain we're been getting.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:17 AM   #10

Has anyone checked their GROUNDS lately.

Thanks for that reminder. Any ideas on how many ground there are?
Old 04-23-2008, 06:13 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Never did take a count Scott, have found some even when I thought I had them all. Most though are easy to find just have to get on back for some of them when greasing chassis can find a few.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:55 AM   #12

Update
Had OBD scanned today by local shop.(Not a Workhorse shop)First tried with a Snap on scanner 1 wk old. It went wild. Told us I was going backwards at 671 MPH. Also didn't show the ABS light was on, which it was.
Next plugged in the 2yr old scanner. Engine and tranny checked okay. ABS scan showed the following codes.
22,26,36,37 All wheel speed signal missing
69 Excessive dump time
74 Excessive isolation time
86 ABS indicator lamp circut short to battery

Unless someone has any better suggestions, my plan is to-
1) Remove, clean and replace all grounds.
If that fails
2) Take to Workhorse service center 25 miles away.
DriVer, I keep in the back of my brain your suggestion of going direct to Allison but it is my feeling
that this is an electrical issue that my be better solved by WH.
3) Take it to Allison if the above tactics don't solve my tranny problem.

Questons-If the manual parking brake goes to the floor without stopping the RV, could this cause any of my problems?

Is the parking brake a mechanical drum brake or what? How is adjusted?

Are the above mentioned codes easily explained?

Thanks for your help!!
Old 04-24-2008, 09:52 AM   #13
iRV2 Sponsor

Scott,

Codes 22,26,36,37 are all sensor codes, indicating you have a missing or erratic signal. Again, this is most likely cause by the sensor out of adjustment.

We use the GM tool "Tech II", it will communicate and tell us which sensor(s) is of issue.

Code 69 is because you have an intermittant signal, this will be solved when you take care of the signal issue.

Codes 74 and 86 are common and will be solved as well when signals are good.

Cleaning grounds is always a good idea and I'm not saying it won't help you here but it is most likely not your cause. Check those sensors and their connections.

Call me if you need additional help, I will walk you through it, step by step.

Thanks,
Redlands Truck and RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:33 PM   #14

Problem solved--Sorta
After the local WH shop obtained the proper scanner, they fixed my ABS issue. The tranny is now running good. I'm not sure exactly what they did because I got a few different answers. I do know I wasn't charged for any parts. If I understood correctly they swapped speed sensors on the rear. Apperently there was more to it than that due to the 2 hrs they charged which I had no problem paying.

I still don't understand whats up with the tranny that now seems to be okay.

I would like to thank Keith at www.redlandstruckservice.com. I took him up on his offer to get advise over the phone even though I am 2000 miles away. If I had the time and patients I'm sure more coaching could have helped me through my problems.