RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2006, 06:08 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought my coach used in Febuary and I have my coach parked in my driveway (backed in on a slight incline towards the front)

I have not noticed this leak before and I have done nothing but change the engine oil sense it has been parked..

The leak seems to be coming from the left side of the Tranny and I think its coming from the pan gasket... I told the guys at work (who work on our Fire engines) and they suggested that I drive it and that the seal may have dryed out!!!!

I cleaned the pan and the driveway real good tonight in hopes of seeing exactly whereit is coming from.. The puddle it left is about as big as a dinner plate....

Is this normal? I will drive her this weekend to see if it helps....

Any suggestions on what I should look for?

Thanks for your time Lee

If you don't stand behind our TROOPS, Feel Free to stand in front of them
Wish I was somewhere I could not use the internet...
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2006, 06:08 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought my coach used in Febuary and I have my coach parked in my driveway (backed in on a slight incline towards the front)

I have not noticed this leak before and I have done nothing but change the engine oil sense it has been parked..

The leak seems to be coming from the left side of the Tranny and I think its coming from the pan gasket... I told the guys at work (who work on our Fire engines) and they suggested that I drive it and that the seal may have dryed out!!!!

I cleaned the pan and the driveway real good tonight in hopes of seeing exactly whereit is coming from.. The puddle it left is about as big as a dinner plate....

Is this normal? I will drive her this weekend to see if it helps....

Any suggestions on what I should look for?

Thanks for your time Lee

Old 05-30-2006, 06:17 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check the torque on each pan bolt. That may be all there is to the problem. Last month I change my trans oil after it sat for many weeks. I got out much more oil(a gallon more!) then the previous time. So, I believe the oil level may have been over the edge of the pan gasket. Mine did not leak. I had used a torque wrench the first time I drained and R and R'd the pan. The gasket is reusable and quite pliable.

Marty
Old 05-30-2006, 06:24 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
M&EM do you happen to know what the torque should be?

I tightened the pan bolts Sat. but it didn't seem to help...

Old 05-30-2006, 07:28 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
LeeB,
do a search for "pan torque".
I believe Driver posted numbers of 8 to 12 FT-lbs. or 96 to 144 inch- pounds.

Marty
Old 05-30-2006, 08:58 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
I bet I can tell you exactly what it is. Because I had the same thing happen. Check where the dipstick tube enters the transmission. Wipe it down good and check it later. There is a rubber seal there and if your dipstick tube doesn't line up perfectly or the seal is damages it will leak down and collect around the pan gasket making it look like the pan gasket is leaking. Mine had an alignment problem. The dealer actually replaced the dipstick tube to fix it. I don't know why but it took 2 years to start leaking and when it did it was parked.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 03:14 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
It's probably not the dipstick as Full-Timers suggested since you indicated the left side of the transmission. Mine too has or had a slight leak on the left side. Although it was so slight it didn't even drip to the ground. It was wet at the bottom of the shift lever shaft where it enters the left side of the transmission. I wiped it off and have since driven it and haven't noticed it again, at least not as yet.

I called Allison and mentioned it to them and they said to take it to a Allison Service Center for repair (still under warranty).
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:33 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My leak has made it to the ground. If fact I just went and looked at it and after cleaning it up last night I can see that there is oil on the driveway.....

About 6 inches long and a 1/2 wide. I will crawl under after work (Yes Dan some of us still work lol) and get a more detailed look. Also as I look at my coach when sitting in the driveway it does "list" to the left so it very well could be coming from the dipstick tube... Thats the first place I will look tonight..

Old 05-31-2006, 05:50 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LeeB:
I will crawl under after work (Yes Dan some of us still work lol) and get a more detailed look... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>As Maynard G. Krebbs would say "WORK!"
W22 Workhorse
Old 05-31-2006, 06:16 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes after work I crawled under my MH and found what could be "The Leak" I had cleaned real good.

When I saw it today I could see some oil oozing from the where the dipstick goes into the tranny. So I cleaned it up real good "Again" and stuffed a clean white terry cloth up to where when it does leak it will not reach the pan..

Check back tomorrow and I will update my post... But I have a feeling that Full-Timers is right...

So Dan get ready to do the happy dance... lol

"Dobie Gillis Rules"

Old 06-01-2006, 07:33 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dan do the happy dance "NOW"

Crawled under my MH tonight after work and the towel that I had stuffed up by the dipstick had oil on it... there was none on the ground... I drove her for about 15 minutes and I will check it again tomorrow... But I am postive that the leak came from where the dipstick entered the Transmission...Could it be possiable that being that my MH sat for over 10 days that the oil in the tranny worked it's way down??????????

Gotta Love this web site and "Some" of the answer that are giving.......

Old 06-01-2006, 08:01 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
What I did was remove the bolt that holds the tube to the side of the tranny. When I did the tube, seal, and opening lined up and no more leak, however the hole in the mounting bracket no longer lined up with the one in the tranny. I just left the bolt out until I got it into the shop. The shop said they had to replace the tube because the mount was in the wrong location. Not sure why it took 2 years and a few thousand miles to start leaking. Hasn't leaked since.

Gotta go do the happy dance now!
W22 Workhorse
Old 06-01-2006, 08:05 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding dipstick tube leakage at the tranny: While under mine, I noticed that there is a place on both sides of the tranny for a dipstick tube. So I guess that means there are two seals to be concerned with leakage!
Old 06-01-2006, 08:19 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M&EM:
Regarding dipstick tube leakage at the tranny: While under mine, I noticed that there is a place on both sides of the tranny for a dipstick tube. So I guess that means there are two seals to be concerned with leakage! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmmm something else to look for..... Thanks for the tip......

I am going to get in the habit of starting my MH at least once a week....