Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2021, 05:22 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Question Tranny Radiator Leak 2002 W22 (Winnie Adventurer)

I finally found a competent place to take my Adventurer in and get some items resolved, local dealer for Chevy WH sucked and really screwed me over, another story...

ANY WHO - I had an exhaust leak, manifold, A/C issues, Squeakly noises, front wheel bearing seal bad, and a leak in the radiator for the tranny at the radiator...

They fixed everything but the leak, not because they do not know how, but because Chevy/Navistar no longer makes that radiator or the parts for that cooling system, currently. They advised my guys to look into installing another tranny cooling system and just leave that one offline.

So I am waiting on some pricing... in the meantime I thought I would pose some questions here in case anyone else has experienced this and could share what they have done to resolve?

1. Is it possible to savage one that is in good working order from another MH?
2. Has anyone tried to patch it? The leak is in the upper fitting on the right, its the plastic part that goes into the radiator.
3. What alternative systems has anyone else installed to replace?
4. Open for any suggestions.

This and my side windows is what I have left on my long list of things to get finalized and fixed.

TIA for any insight and assistance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2021, 05:35 PM   #2

Tranny Radiator Leak 2002 W22 (Winnie Adventurer)

There are a couple of salvage yards, IIRC, in Kentucky or Tennessee. Some of the coaches there don’t have a lot of demand on parts due to their age. Might be worth a couple of phone calls to find out if they have something. Many are in the yard due to fire, most of which were in the refrigerator so you may be able to find one used.

However, there are many excellent aftermarket transmission coolers that actually may increase the capacity over the original.
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:14 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
There are a couple of salvage yards, IIRC, in Kentucky or Tennessee. Some of the coaches there don’t have a lot of demand on parts due to their age. Might be worth a couple of phone calls to find out if they have something. Many are in the yard due to fire, most of which were in the refrigerator so you may be able to find one used.

However, there are many excellent aftermarket transmission coolers that actually may increase the capacity over the original.
Great idea, I will start my search for these places in the AM. TY
Old 08-19-2021, 10:08 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Also, call Jon Brazel at Ultra RV Products 800-417-4559 to confirm what is or is not available. They are the Workhorse experts.

Also some radiator shops may know how to repair a fitting problem.
Good luck,
Bill
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:21 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would show it to a radiator shop it may be fixable.
Old 08-19-2021, 01:32 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
Also, call Jon Brazel at Ultra RV Products 800-417-4559 to confirm what is or is not available. They are the Workhorse experts.

Also some radiator shops may know how to repair a fitting problem.
Good luck,
Bill
GREAT share - they were VERY helpful! Thank you!
Old 08-19-2021, 01:44 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfire1339 View Post
I would show it to a radiator shop it may be fixable.
This is what I am hoping too... it seems the mechs can't tell if it is leaking from the fitting or if it is coming from the radiator, like a crack or pin hole.... it was so dirty and oily...
Old 08-22-2021, 11:14 AM   #8

Go yo derale.com.. great after market oil coolers..
Old 10-04-2021, 10:06 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
Bill
Closure on this…

So I spoke with those guys, they know their stuf… very nice too! Great chat, so I hooked them up with my guy at Mast Service, they spoke their speak, since my guy knows what is wrong and what they tried to do etc… seems there was a new part to try.

So my guy and place was busy most of August and Mid through Sept. once their schedule lightened up, part was ordered and installed last week… we are now golden! She is working perfectly!

Leak stopped and she runs like a top.

She gets a road test this weekend, buddy and I are heading to Iowa state fairgrounds for Trump rally!
Old 10-05-2021, 06:49 AM   #10

That's great, glad you got it fixed
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventurer, leak, radiator, vent, w22