Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2006, 12:33 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi all.

I have read much valuable information on this site, and finally joined.

There is a thread out there about reading trans temp directly from the ecm bus using a gauge from http:\\www.aeroforcetech.com. Reading further, the person offering this as an option stated this was not one of the params on his 03.

Last summer, we were traveling through AZ, it was over 110 outside (we were towing) and we got a trans temp warning on the IP. This seems to indicate the ECM monitors the trans temp. Does anyone know if the Aero Force gauge will offer trans temp as a monitored param? I have an 05 Southwind / w-20 on an 04 chassis build.

Secondly, is the engine temp output as a param the actual engine temp, or is it the ip cluster output. I understand now why the gauge never moves, since it sits at the 3 oclock position over a range of temps. Personally, I'd rather see the gauge move.

Because trans temp has a direct relation to fluid life, I simply want to know what is going on. My Duramax with the Allison 1000 has a temp gauge, and it moves around depending on load and ambient temp. It makes no sense to me why WH does not have a full cluster for all engine/trans functionality considering their equipment is at the outer limits of acceptable loads at all times, not just some of the time, like a pickup.

I purchased SW gauges, but backed off because there was no easy was to install the sending units. On the trans, I either had to cut a line or drop the pan and have a "bung" welded in. There was no place to put in another oil pressure sending unit without getting to close to the exhaust manifold. The ECM seems too good to be true, and it may, unless something changed and the trans temp is indeed an available param.

Thanks much!

W-20 Workhorse
surfride is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2006, 12:33 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi all.

I have read much valuable information on this site, and finally joined.

There is a thread out there about reading trans temp directly from the ecm bus using a gauge from http:\\www.aeroforcetech.com. Reading further, the person offering this as an option stated this was not one of the params on his 03.

Last summer, we were traveling through AZ, it was over 110 outside (we were towing) and we got a trans temp warning on the IP. This seems to indicate the ECM monitors the trans temp. Does anyone know if the Aero Force gauge will offer trans temp as a monitored param? I have an 05 Southwind / w-20 on an 04 chassis build.

Secondly, is the engine temp output as a param the actual engine temp, or is it the ip cluster output. I understand now why the gauge never moves, since it sits at the 3 oclock position over a range of temps. Personally, I'd rather see the gauge move.

Because trans temp has a direct relation to fluid life, I simply want to know what is going on. My Duramax with the Allison 1000 has a temp gauge, and it moves around depending on load and ambient temp. It makes no sense to me why WH does not have a full cluster for all engine/trans functionality considering their equipment is at the outer limits of acceptable loads at all times, not just some of the time, like a pickup.

I purchased SW gauges, but backed off because there was no easy was to install the sending units. On the trans, I either had to cut a line or drop the pan and have a "bung" welded in. There was no place to put in another oil pressure sending unit without getting to close to the exhaust manifold. The ECM seems too good to be true, and it may, unless something changed and the trans temp is indeed an available param.

Thanks much!

W-20 Workhorse
Old 06-07-2006, 02:33 PM   #3

The Aeroforce gauge on my 05, W/22 - 8.1L does not read transmission temp. It is a listed parameter, but is not active through the ECM data plug?? It does read in "real time" water temp, oil pressure, charging voltage, and other engine data. It logs and can clear engine codes. I have installed Autometer oil and tranny temp gauges. Autometer supplies a brass adaptor - 12MM x 1.75 thread pitch - (both drain plugs for the engine and Allison are 12MM x 1.75) that accept 1/8 "short" sending units. I had the factory drain plugs drilled and machined to accept the Autometer "long" sending units and they work well. These just replace the oil drain plugs and read sump temps on the engine and transmission. Caveat: the factory drain plugs need to be drilled and tapped very carefully - read - right down the exact center of the plug, to maintain maximum thickness of the threaded portion of the drain plug. I had a machinest in our model shop do this "government" job for me, to insure dimensional results. I will be posting photos in a week or so, as I am traveling.

Custom CAI
jbrnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:28 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Similarly,
My AutoTap OBD2 Laptop interface indicates trans temp as a parameter. But there is no signal to monitor. It simply could be a switched output that lites up the IP trans lite when it reaches a critacal temp!
Old 06-08-2006, 04:57 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
One of the additional features of Workhorse's new SSC package is a more robust list of information for the driver. One such feature listed is "Transmission Temperature." I wonder how and/or where they get this temperature from?
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:39 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
follow-up...

I sent an email to Aeroforce on their gauge regarding monitoring trans temp. Here is their reply:

David,

Does your vehicle have an Alison transmission? If so the gauge will not currently read trans temp. It's something we are going to pursue though so you may want to check back in a couple months.

Engine coolant temp is the actual temp of the coolant.

Todd
Aeroforce

David Dold <dave@davedold.com> wrote:
I have an 8.1 vortec in a workhorse chassis, chassis build was Oct-04, but an 05 model. I am interested in your gauge, primarily to monitor trans temp. Do you know if this is one of the params monitored and available? Is the engine temp the actual temp, or is it the "smoother" temp sent to the ip gauge?

Thanks,

~David

W-20 Workhorse